Scared of excess skin.

Options
Hello.
So I am very unhappy with my body being fat.
I have always been fat.
But have started to change.
What scares me is I will lose all this weight, get to my goal, and still be unhappy.
Due to hanging skin.

I don't know what I like more, curves, or saggy skin.

Does this saggy skin go away after a while, to those of you that have lost massive amounts of weight ?

I realize it will sag for a while.
But with hard work, does it go back to normal?

I know there is tummy tucks, but I doubt I could afford one, and I want to have children down the road.

So I'm just curious.

Replies

• gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You're young, so your skin is more elastic than an older person's. I bet most if not all of it will "go away". However, there's no way to tell now. The slower you lose the weight, the more likely it is that your skin will tighten back up again. But, I have no idea what the optimal weight loss "speed" is to ensure your skin reconfigures.

Some people do have excess skin they can't get rid of and they either just live with it or get surgery. Either way though, I've been told that you should wait at least 6-12 months after you're at your optimum weight before considering surgery to remove excess skin.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Lose it slow, make sure you exercise and drink a lot of water.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    OP - so pleased you posted this as I know someone outside of MFP who was asking exactly the same question.
  • moglie1914
    moglie1914 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    With my experience from a 65 pound wieght loss with in a year in a half made me have excess skin. Even with working out now its one of the hardest things im struggling to lose and or tighten. im sure everyone is different tho. i wish you the best!
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely scared of this, but I decided I'd rather look like I have more fat than I do because of excess skin, than to actually HAVE the extra unnecessary fat. I am pretty sure there's going to end up being some plastic surgery in my future, so I am starting to save up for it now and I am pretty sure you can get financing and make payments on it.

I intend to wait a year after reaching my goal weight, though I'll probably be shopping doctors and getting consultations after 6-8 months. Until then, I imagine Spanx will be my best friend. :P

Don't let the fear of what you'll look like hold you back from getting healthier!
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    yeas losing slower gives your body time to adjust ,probably a smart plan
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Lose it slowly. Excess skin is nothing compared to the health damage obesity does, so just take your time and get yourself healthy. Worry about the rest later.

Good luck to you! :)

FWIW, I have noticed some loose skin, but it gets better in time.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have some excess skin, it has gone down a bunch since I started lifting in September. I lost all my weight from Jan 2011 to Jan 2012. My advice is start lifting early and only try to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week. I will take the loose skin over fat any day of the week though. Plus the only time they can really tell is if your clothes are off, I have had people tell me they never thought I was obese and when I complain about the loose skin they say it doesn't look like you have any. Maybe they are trying to be nice, if so they seem like pretty good actors.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have excess skin & will have more as yet to reach my goal! However, I have been very overweight for a very long time & I sort of expected it. It certainly is not as much as I expected!! I am just glad that it is not longer filled with fat and actually it does not bother me much. When I get to my goal & have been there for a while I will consider doing something about it.
  • Shrinkingmam0429
    Shrinkingmam0429 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    So I am very unhappy with my body being fat.
    I have always been fat.
    But have started to change.
    What scares me is I will lose all this weight, get to my goal, and still be unhappy.
    Due to hanging skin.

I don't know what I like more, curves, or saggy skin.

Does this saggy skin go away after a while, to those of you that have lost massive amounts of weight ?

I realize it will sag for a while.
    But with hard work, does it go back to normal?

I know there is tummy tucks, but I doubt I could afford one, and I want to have children down the road.

So I'm just curious.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I'm a very tiny girl, barely 5 foot tall & When I delivered my son, i had an emergeny c-section, so they did the bikini cut, But Cut my uterus Up and down, so because it was transversally cut, I have like No Stomach muscles, So what looks like "fat" is actually just sagging skin, I went to the dr. and they said that I'd most likely have to have a tummy tuck :/ But we want another baby down the line....So they suggested lipo suction for temporary help of the sagging skin.

Now I know that for MOST people Skin has a very good elasticity, and from what I can tell you are young, with hard work, I'm sure your stomach will look fabulous! Lots of ab workouts! Good luck!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I do have excess skin after losing 112 pounds. The only areas affected are my lower stomach and my inner thighs. Everything else looks pretty good.

I will say that I would 100 times over rather weigh what I do now and have excess skin than be fat. Absolutely, no contest.

My clothes, and even my new tankini, cover my loose skin pretty well. Nothing covers 112 extra pounds.

I'm hoping to be able to have a tummy tuck and thigh lift (and maybe a breast lift/augmentation) in the next year if I can figure it out financially. But, you know, if plastics never happen, I'll never regret losing weight.

My life is so much better in ways I never imagined, and if the price of that is some extra skin, I'll pay it.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is different for everyone and depends on the elastcity of your skin. Losing at a slower steady rate will definately be better. If you are prone to stretch marks you probably don't have the best elasticity. Don't let fear of loose skin keep you from losing weight. There are so many benefits to your health and unless you walk around in a bikini all the time you will most likely prefer your more svelte figure, even if it does have a little saggy skin :smile:
  • Shrinkingmam0429
    Shrinkingmam0429 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have some excess skin, it has gone down a bunch since I started lifting in September. I lost all my weight from Jan 2011 to Jan 2012. My advice is start lifting early and only try to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week. I will take the loose skin over fat any day of the week though.

Be careful of lifting weights long term! Horrible on the shoulders & Knees!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Being healthy > excess skin.

I have excess skin but I am in the best shape of my life. Don't let it stop you and you can't know how it will look until you get there
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Your age and genetics will determine how much excess skin you have. The rate at which you lose will have little to no effect. Do not let the fear of saggy skin prevent you from losing weight and getting healthier. Shapewear works wonders. You can also start saving for plastics.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do have excess skin after losing 112 pounds. The only areas affected are my lower stomach and my inner thighs. Everything else looks pretty good.

I will say that I would 100 times over rather weigh what I do now and have excess skin than be fat. Absolutely, no contest.

My clothes, and even my new tankini, cover my loose skin pretty well. Nothing covers 112 extra pounds.

I'm hoping to be able to have a tummy tuck and thigh lift (and maybe a breast lift/augmentation) in the next year if I can figure it out financially. But, you know, if plastics never happen, I'll never regret losing weight.

My life is so much better in ways I never imagined, and if the price of that is some extra skin, I'll pay it.

you are my hero
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Thanks for that! You said it! :D

I think you've just opened a can of worms. Lifting weights isn't horrible for you in any way... unless you're doing it wrong. Bad form in any exercise can cause you problems.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have some excess skin, it has gone down a bunch since I started lifting in September. I lost all my weight from Jan 2011 to Jan 2012. My advice is start lifting early and only try to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week. I will take the loose skin over fat any day of the week though.

Wha???? Our body is made to move. Keep good form and it will be ok
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous...it's not horrible on the shoulders & knees if you're doing it correctly. If the OP is concerned about excess skin, what else is suppose to backfill the space when the fat is gone besides muscle? YES to strength training. Lift regularly & don't be afraid to lift HEAVY (work up to it, of course).

Exercise in general will make the biggest difference in reshaping your body. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water & moisturize regularly to maximize your skin elasticity. For some elasticity is limited by genetics, but not everyone.

I think "scared" is a strong word to use when talking about excess skin. Be scared of zombies, or rabid dogs, or the Sweet Genius guy. Be scared of dying from an obesity-related medical condition if you don't get healthy. Excess skin is the least of your worries, honey.