Adults who have had tonsillectomies?

Options
So, I'm having a tonsillectomy in a week and a half, I'm 23, and wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. How did your surgery go? What did you eat? How did you feel afterward? My doc said I can't exercise for two weeks after it! Did that happen to anyone else? How did you suffer through it? I'm anxious about that because I'll be in week 6 of C25K and insanity and I wonder how far it will set me back? Kind of nervous but also excited to get these tonsils out! Looking forward to your responses. :smile:

Replies

• BrokenButterfly
    Options
    I had mine out about 3 years ago (ish) and i'm 23 now. I won't lie to you, it's not a nice experience. The healing process is very very painful and you get this disgusting 'slough' at the back of your throat. The trick is, however, to eat foods like dry toast and crisps to help knock off the scabbing at the back of your throat each morning, otherwise you'll find it too hard to swallow the rest of the day. It's really not a nice experience but it's so so worth it. You'll feel great within 2 weeks x
  • tmd0521
    tmd0521 Posts: 6
    Options
    It is true you should take it easy for 2 weeks, i just went to the store afterward and passed out, that was scary. anyways, jello, pudding, chicken broth, mac n cheese, applesauce, yogurt, etc
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 now but had mine out when I was 19. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but a tonisllectomy is no fun, especially as an adult. Listen to your doctor. You won't feel like eating much let alone exercising that soon after your surgery. You have to rest and gets lots and lots of fluids. It is so important to keep hydrated, because if not, your scabs could come off (where they cauterize) and you could hemorrage. This happened to me and I had to have another surgery and be recauterized.

Do NOT exert yourself...it will take at the very least 2 weeks to start feeling better. As far as eating, start off with cold, soft foods: jello, popsicles, etc. After a couple of days, you can add warm and soft foods like mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc. Please take it easy and don't worry about exercise while you are healing. Best wishes!! :flowerforyou:
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having them out! I had mine out when I was 23ish- I agree that there is some pain. I had "chronic strep" so I had REALLY bad step throat all the time- having my tonsils out to no longer get strep was sooo worth it- there is a positive to consider.

I did take it easy as the Dr. recommended but I do think I did some walking to get out and stay minimally active. I don't remember it being that bad but I also took the pain meds pretty much as prescribed- you know the bottles say something like every 4-6 hours or as needed. I set an alarm and took it every 5 hrs or so for the first days. I don't remember eating just drinking a lot of fluids.

Good luck!
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm an RN and adults having tonsils out always have a rough time. Your doctor doesn't want you to excerise because of bleeding risks. Usually liquids are the best at first, not too hot or cold, most like luke warm. Broths are best. After few days then more solid foods. Patients that sip frequently do better. You'll want to keep your throat wet. It will hurt more in morning after you wake up or if you don't drink for a long time then do. I'd do just broth for first couple of days. You can live for days without food, but you'll need to stay hydrated. Everyone is different, usually a week downtime. good luck
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am the only adult I know who has had them out and has not had a bad story. I was 24 at the time. My advise from my experience is...

Take your meds on time and don't miss doses so you stay on top of your pain.
    Water, Water, Water!!! Gatorade hurt my throat but some people enjoy it after.
    Contrary to the excited ice cream talk, no dairy! Nothing that will make your mucus super thick, and dairy does.
    Take it easy, get plenty of rest.

Turns out my tonsils were full of infection when they took them out and I didn't even know because they were always big a gross. But I was raising my hand when I was coming out of the anesthesia asking for more water. Lol, which I guess is rare. I was even talking the night I got them out. I was not afraid to eat soft foods. Drank a lot of water!
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories with me :) I'm having mine removed because of cryptic tonsillitis. It doesn't matter if I am sick or not, my tonsils are always huge! I'm kind of a negative Nancy, not really expecting things to go great lol. I was thinking about protein shakes during the first few days, any thoughts on that?
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    bump
  • Redbarron80
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 37 without any issue. Limited pain and was back eating and exercising in no time. I would try to follow your doctor's advice, but listen to your body too.
  • Rommel_V
    Rommel_V Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So, I'm having a tonsillectomy in a week and a half, I'm 23, and wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. How did your surgery go? What did you eat? How did you feel afterward? My doc said I can't exercise for two weeks after it! Did that happen to anyone else? How did you suffer through it? I'm anxious about that because I'll be in week 6 of C25K and insanity and I wonder how far it will set me back? Kind of nervous but also excited to get these tonsils out! Looking forward to your responses. :smile:

It depends on what type of tonsillectomy they will do to you... If it's the coblator type, you can go home probably the following day, however no hard foods and nuts. About exercise, yup 2 weeks is the minimum time you can do "some" heavy activities... The good thing is that you'll snore more quietly now :)
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband had his at age 40. I brought him home about an hour to an hour and a half after surgery. About two days after surgery he discovered that the thing that made his throat feel the best was Guinness.
  • hollyelee
    hollyelee Posts: 18
    Options
    I have never personally had a tonsillectomy but worked in an ENT's office and we did PLENTY of tonsillectomies. Adults do not handle the recovery period as well as children do. So plan to be in pain. Trust me when I say this... you will NOT feel like working out. You definitely will want to start with liquids and then progress accordingly.
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    I'm not sure what type of tonsillectomy they are doing, but I will be going home the same day, bar complications. I'm sure my hubby will appreciate the decreased snoring :laugh:

Also, I love Guinness :heart:
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    I was in my late 20's when I had mine out. I ate popscicles forever it seemed!
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    My son had his tonsils and adnoids remove when he was 16. The healing process took him about a week. The hospital gave us an icepack that wrapped around his throat. He found this to help a alot. So, if you get one, give it a try...it may help you too. It definitely was a week for recovery but every day got better...so hang in there. On a good note, he has been much healthier, no more throat infections and he sleeps and eats much better. His tonsils were huge and actually got in the way of his eating. Good luck. Stay as positive as you can and don't worry about exercise. As far as protein shakes...keep in mind no diary..
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Had mine out when I was 21 and went home the same day. Drank lots of liquids, and was in a lot of pain, but only because I developed a canker sore on my throat. The only thing I could eat was plain noodles for about a week, as anything else was way too painful. Follow the advice and drink lots and lots of water!
  • kris523sydney
    Options
    I had mine out when i was 27....it was rough. one good thing though is that I lost about 15 pounds afterwards because I didnt want to eat since it hurt too much. I pretty much stayed on the couch for two weeks. Make sure you stay on top of the pain with meds and try not to cough. I coughed pretty hard one night 10 days after my surgery and it opened the wound and I had to go back to the hospital and have them reclose it. it wasnt pleasant and you dont want that to happen to you. So rest a lot, drink a lot and dont cough!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My daughter had hers out in Jan. at age 32. Recovery was difficult for her and took longer than she expected. She didn't feel like doing anything for about 2 weeks. She works with children a lot and was always getting sick. The good news is that she hasn't been sick since she had them out, so was well worth it. Hope it goes well for you.
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    Thats funny you guys keep mentioning no dairy, I would never had known this because it actually recommends it on my post-op sheet. I think I'll avoid it though if its going to messes with my throat.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I had mine out at 24, BEST THING I EVER DID!! I was sick with tonsilitis for 4 months before, like, sick the entire time (I lost 25 pounds, I was a rail because I didn't need to lose anything back then).

Anyway... long story short, my tonsils were enormous and I was in chronic pain. I was living on Tylenol and antibiotics. I begged my doctors to take them out finally (I had to write it down 'cause I could no longer speak at that point and could barely breathe). So they finally took them out!

I was in a ward with a bunch of screaming three years olds drinking juice when I woke up! I begged for steak and potatoes right away!!! I was literally starving! Anyway, I seriously don't remember having any complications whatsoever, I just know I was no longer in pain anymore... I was so thankful. I could sleep, eat, and breathe... and had no more pain... I was so happy.