C25K Challenge

Options
Smccau3
Smccau3 Posts: 20 Member
Anyone want to start th Couch to 5K program with me?

I did the first day yesterday, but am planning to truly start Monday.

For anyone who doesn't know C25K is a program designed to get anyone (ene us couch potatoes) running a 5k by the end of week 9. It is essentially interval training. Something important to note: it's not so important to actually get through the program in 9 weeks. If you need to repeat a week, do it!

Here's a link to the website with the actual program and schedule: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There is a free app if you have an iPhone. I don't have an iPhone, but I have found playlists online that give me the cues.

Join in and we can all support each other!

Replies

• Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I just did my first day yesterday and have started my own blog/signed up for a 5 k run in September to keep myself accountable. Feel free to add me if you would like some support. I am doing the treadmill version and have an app on the android called simple c25k that gives me the clues as to when to change from walking to jogging :D
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Im in I tried before but only got thru week 3 then stopped finding the time to do it. Really need to restart. Thanks for the motivation to do it!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm doing week 2 day 2 tomorrow, so feel free to add me!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I just did Week 2 Day 2 today :) Great program!
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hey I was just saying today how jealous I am when I see runners at my local park so count me in. I don't run at the gym because I find it hurts my knees so I give up easily. This is just the motivation I need!
  • Smccau3
    Options
    I'm so glad you all want to join me on this challenge!

My plan is to do Monday, Wednesday, Friday runs. If you're a first timer, we can start together Monday!

For those of you who have already started, any advice to us beginners? I know I struggled with my test run yesterday.
  • ashlinmarie
    Options

My plan is to do Monday, Wednesday, Friday runs. If you're a first timer, we can start together Monday!

For those of you who have already started, any advice to us beginners? I know I struggled with my test run yesterday.

Just don't give up! If you have to jog slower, then jog slower. Same with the walking portions. Day one of last week and this week, I walked at a 3.8 but did a 4.0 on the other days. I also did a warm up jog today at a 4.8, but when I do the program, I try to do a 5.5. It is hard, but just breathe and don't give up!

The hardest part of me is learning which aches are normal body aches and which I should pay attention to. Also, if you can run another day a week, repeat the third day before moving on to the next day. I've heard others do it. I didn't have to this past week, but I might for week 2. I also try to push myself to go a little fast/longer on day 3 so the next week won't seem so bad.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Options

I know it's only my second day in the program, but I find that the last two runs of the program are the hardest for me. When I start to struggle, I imagine how I want to look in a year, a dress I want to buy, teaching dance, being the hot one at the bar! lol. I somehow find the will to push my legs just a little longer. Just keep going and DO NOT GET OFF THE TREADMILL (you might never want to get back on :laugh: )
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Anyone want to start th Couch to 5K program with me?

I did the first day yesterday, but am planning to truly start Monday.

For anyone who doesn't know C25K is a program designed to get anyone (ene us couch potatoes) running a 5k by the end of week 9. It is essentially interval training. Something important to note: it's not so important to actually get through the program in 9 weeks. If you need to repeat a week, do it!

Here's a link to the website with the actual program and schedule: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I don't have an Iphone yet so how does one go about it, otherwise I would love to start c25k. Thanks

There is a free app if you have an iPhone. I don't have an iPhone, but I have found playlists online that give me the cues.

Join in and we can all support each other!
  • ashlinmarie
    Options

I know it's only my second day in the program, but I find that the last two runs of the program are the hardest for me. When I start to struggle, I imagine how I want to look in a year, a dress I want to buy, teaching dance, being the hot one at the bar! lol. I somehow find the will to push my legs just a little longer. Just keep going and DO NOT GET OFF THE TREADMILL (you might never want to get back on :laugh: )

I feel fortunate to have the TV monitors on the treadmills at my gym...during those last two runs when I just want to give up, I can see my reflection in the screen and pep talk myself...tell myself to imagine the skinny girl I want to be and that I can do it and if I can just get through the end, I'll be one day closer to being a runner. It makes me feel GREAT to finish like that!
  • Oliviamarie05
    Options

I feel fortunate to have the TV monitors on the treadmills at my gym...during those last two runs when I just want to give up, I can see my reflection in the screen and pep talk myself...tell myself to imagine the skinny girl I want to be and that I can do it and if I can just get through the end, I'll be one day closer to being a runner. It makes me feel GREAT to finish like that!

That's a great aspiration! Running seemed like such a fer-fetched idea at one point and I'm starting to think I might be there one day. Thankfully, I don't have mirrors in my basement, or else all motivation would walk out the door.
  • morkiemama
    Options

Best advice I can give is DON'T SKIMP ON PROPER EQUIPMENT just because you are a beginner. I've tried running in the past and always quit. Why? I was in pain. Both from muscles/knees/ankles and blisters. :(

Proper footwear and socks are VERY important. Go to a runners store and get properly fitted by a professional for running shoes and ONLY wear them for running. It can be pricey, but it is more than worth it to spare yourself some serious injury. Buy some non-cotton socks to go along with those new kicks. Your feet will thank you. They help keep moisture away and prevent foot issues. They should have some at the running store as well. :) They average about 10 bucks for 3 pairs.

This has made a HUGE difference in my runs and I find I enjoy them now. :)

Now for the less awesome, but still good advice:

1. Study up on proper running form and try to improve yours. It makes a difference. :) You won't be a pro right out of the gate, but you will improve slowly if you try to concentrate on it during your runs. Hint: I try to work on it at the beginning when I'm not exhausted yet, ha ha :P
    (Some links: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=823
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q
    http://video.about.com/running/Proper-Running-Form.htm )

2. STRETCH before and after for at least 10 minutes. Stretching is VERY important and most people skimp on it. Do not skimp on it. Your body will thank you.

3. Warm up/Cool down walking. A good thing to do. The podcasts I use have them programmed in. You can find them here: http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

4. Hydrate. Drink plenty of water before and bring a bottle with you on runs. :)

5. Lastly, DON'T GIVE UP. If you can't keep up the jog, walk fast and try again on the next interval. If you need to repeat a week, do it! Just keep pushing forward. We can all finish :D

I have severe asthma and running has to be THE most challenging activity for me (especially outdoors with my allergies), but I push through it. Remember, if my lungs haven't given out on me yet, yours will probably make it too, ha ha ;)

I used to hate running with a passion, and I am learning to love it <3:D
  • Smccau3
    Options

Best advice I can give is DON'T SKIMP ON PROPER EQUIPMENT just because you are a beginner. I've tried running in the past and always quit. Why? I was in pain. Both from muscles/knees/ankles and blisters. :(

Proper footwear and socks are VERY important. Go to a runners store and get properly fitted by a professional for running shoes and ONLY wear them for running. It can be pricey, but it is more than worth it to spare yourself some serious injury. Buy some non-cotton socks to go along with those new kicks. Your feet will thank you. They help keep moisture away and prevent foot issues. They should have some at the running store as well. :) They average about 10 bucks for 3 pairs.

This has made a HUGE difference in my runs and I find I enjoy them now. :)

Now for the less awesome, but still good advice:

1. Study up on proper running form and try to improve yours. It makes a difference. :) You won't be a pro right out of the gate, but you will improve slowly if you try to concentrate on it during your runs. Hint: I try to work on it at the beginning when I'm not exhausted yet, ha ha :P
    (Some links: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=823
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q
    http://video.about.com/running/Proper-Running-Form.htm )

2. STRETCH before and after for at least 10 minutes. Stretching is VERY important and most people skimp on it. Do not skimp on it. Your body will thank you.

3. Warm up/Cool down walking. A good thing to do. The podcasts I use have them programmed in. You can find them here: http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

4. Hydrate. Drink plenty of water before and bring a bottle with you on runs. :)

5. Lastly, DON'T GIVE UP. If you can't keep up the jog, walk fast and try again on the next interval. If you need to repeat a week, do it! Just keep pushing forward. We can all finish :D

I have severe asthma and running has to be THE most challenging activity for me (especially outdoors with my allergies), but I push through it. Remember, if my lungs haven't given out on me yet, yours will probably make it too, ha ha ;)

I used to hate running with a passion, and I am learning to love it <3:D

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice! I know that I definitely don't have good running form, so that will be my prep for Monday's run.

I'm determined not to give up, which is why I'm making all of you hold me accountable!
  • Mundy86
    Mundy86 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Started my attempt at the C25K challenge earlier this week. Doing it with my husband which not sure how long that is going to work out as the first run he was way a head of me when joging. In addition to C25K we are doing 30DS alternating between the 2 each day with one day off a week. Yes we may be crazy, but I have done many rounds of 30DS prior to getting pregnant (5wk post partum).

Smccau3 thanks for the tips. I am bad about stretching any specific stretchs that are a must when running?

One tip I have heard is set a race as a goal. Mine is the Color Run in Portland at the end of Sept, plan on signing up after a month of doing C25K.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I will join in. I am doing week 2 day 2 tomorrow morning.
  • morkiemama
    Options
    Started my attempt at the C25K challenge earlier this week. Doing it with my husband which not sure how long that is going to work out as the first run he was way a head of me when joging. In addition to C25K we are doing 30DS alternating between the 2 each day with one day off a week. Yes we may be crazy, but I have done many rounds of 30DS prior to getting pregnant (5wk post partum).

Smccau3 thanks for the tips. I am bad about stretching any specific stretchs that are a must when running?

One tip I have heard is set a race as a goal. Mine is the Color Run in Portland at the end of Sept, plan on signing up after a month of doing C25K.

Hello :) She was quoting my post with the tips in it. I believe you were talking about that? As for stretching, obviously the legs are the most important!

Here are a few I do:

For Hamstrings:

Stretch #1:

1. Sit on the floor with both legs out straight and feet flexed.
    2. Extend your arms and reach forward by bending at the waist as far as possible while keeping your knees straight. Hold.

Stretch #2:

1. Sit on the floor with one leg out straight.
    2. Bend the other leg at the knee and position the sole of that foot against your opposite inner thigh.
    3. Extend your arms and reach forward over the one straight leg by bending at the waist as far as possible. Hold.
    4. Be sure to do both legs!

For Quads:

Stretch #3:

1. While standing, hold onto a counter top or chair back to assist in balance.
    2. Bend your knee back by grasping your ankle with one hand.
    3. Assist in bending your knee back as far as possible. Hold.
    4. Be sure to do both legs!

For Calves:

Stretch #4:

1. Find a curb, or step, and alternate hanging your heels off the edge. (You can really feel this one deep!)

Stretch #5:

1. Do a downward dog. :)
    2. Begin in a plank pose with your hands under your shoulders then lift your pelvis up making a "V" with your body. Spread your fingers wide.
    3. Work on bringing your heels toward the ground.
    4. Allow your heels to flare out slightly wider than your toes. Reach your sits bones, on the bottom of your pelvis, high to the ceiling to increase the stretch.
    5. Try treading lightly, alternating your feet, to deepen the stretch as well.

I also like this one as I feel the stretch through multiple muscles <3:

1. Stand with legs more than hip width apart, feet forward.
    2. Reach for the floor between your legs (or touch it if you are that flexible). Hold.
    3. "walk" your hands over to one leg, reaching for the outside of the ankle with your far hand. Hold.
    4. Do the same with the other leg.

You may also consider adding neck/shoulder stretches if you tense up your upper body during your runs and you feel you need it!

I hope this helps! :)

P.S. I've heard that pregnancy changes the way your joints/ligaments behave due to prepping for birth and it takes awhile for your body to go back to normal after having a baby (not sure how long it takes). Anyway, the reason I mention it is because you are more prone to running injury during that time. You may want to research it and be sure to pay extra attention to your body and what it is telling you (e.g. if you need a rest, take one) and watch out for joint pain :)<3
  • ceppie
    ceppie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hi there,i did as well try out the c25k program (run twice). But Would like to do it properly and some accounability and support Would be a great help. by the way i am helplessly out of shape. so i might need a bit longer. mo, we & fr work best for
    Me as well. feel free to add. :) ce
  • IamLeighDavies
    Options
    Heard about this from a friend and started it a couple of weeks ago. I was doing really well until the double bank-holiday weekend hit and social gatherings threw any kind of healthiness out of the window. So I definitely need to start up again, starting with a warm-up run today and get in to it properly as of tomorrow. Feel free to add me :)
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    I did W4D1 yesterday, it was tough but I pushed through. I had to slow down my running for the last 2 minutes to finish but I did it. Feel free to add me.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am redoing week 1 right now because I feel I waited to long to get it done. I don't know if I want to participate in a 5k all I do know is that I want to say I can run lol