Interesting article, what do you think?

Options

Replies

• saretta71
    Options
    I'm a perfect example of this. Yes, I have gotten muscle and toned up a bit but I have not dropped ANY weight. I have been running 3-4 tims a week for nearly six months (training for 1/2 marathon).

However, if I stick to 1200 calories and don't exercsie I can't drop 1-2 lbs a week.

it' sucks!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    someone posted this yesterday.

I guess my opinion is I exercise for my heart and muscles, not to lose weight. I eat better foods now, so I lose weight.

I do have friends who are pretty smart other wise, but who are just not educated when it comes to diet and exercise. I invited one to go to the gym with me. We walked on the treadmill ( I felt like I was walking backwards because I didnt want to discourage her by hitting it!! lol) Well we walked 45 min or so and had a nice workout. She wipes the sweat from her brow and invites me to come over for breakfast.

I asked what she was making??

Sausage, biscuits and gravy!! After this hard workout we deserve some good food!!

I showed her on the treadmill where we had burned about 150 calories and then explained the meal she was suggesting was approx 800 and 20-40 grams of fat. :noway:

I miss her:ohwell: .......................:laugh: :laugh:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    :laugh:
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that article, but I used to take a circuit training class, and the instructor said there is no such thing as "spot reducing." In other words, you can't do certain exercises to lose weight in a specific part of your body, you can only tone those muscles. She explained that the only way to lose weight it by reducing calories, whether by cutting back on your intake, or exercising (preferably a combination of both). Remember, 3,500 calories = 1 pound.

And muscle weighs more than fat, but is denser, so while the scales show an increase, the tape measure will show a decrease!
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I agree... the exercise is as much for myself esteem and well being, as it is for weight loss. My friend is only diet resticting and she has lost more weight than me, but looks much flabbier. She is also very miserable, where as I eat, I feel good and have energy, and just am all around happier.
    I wish I could make her understand how important proper nutrition and exercise is to her all around health. but, NOOOOO.... she is all about the numbers on the scale and a quick fix.
    She also uses the fact that she has lost 20lbs, and I have lost 15, as proof that she is right. Well her starting weight is about 50lbs more than mine. She won't understand that the less you have to lose the harder it is, but if she makes it down to this weight without giving up, she may find out. I keep trying to talk with her and help her find a nutritional balance to her diet, and then I just let her do her own thing. I hope that one day she might see the value of healthy living.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    For me personally, excercise is the key this time. I have been on many diets and I am very disciplined at restricting calories but I always hit a wall and eventually start gaining weight.

MFP has been the first "program" that has really worked for me and the key has been exercise.

I used to hate exercising and this time I am loving it. It took awhile to work up to where I am but I enjoy it so much. I feel so much better and I really think that I look thinner than I am because things aren't jiggling as much!:laugh:

I am not a super power in exercising...I stick to the range my HRM says to stay in, so I do sweat but not tons, I just feel good.

I don't know where I would be without this site.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I exercise so that there will be some muscles underneath after I lose this fat, and not just flab remaining. I exercise because I feel better when I do. I exercise to keep my heart strong and to let me eat a little bit extra now and then.

I haven't lost much weight and I haven't lost many inches (ok pretty much none in over a month!), but....I've lost a clothing size. That says it all, for me.
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    Are you asking our opinion on the article written by Heather Ashare - DietsInReview.com or the actual article in TIME that she is commenting on?

I really like her response/comments about the TIME article. Especially this part

"Information like this can quickly be misconstrued and misinterpreted by the general public. With 34 percent of the U.S. population obese and 32 percent overweight, Americans surely do not need to be told to exercise less in order to improve their health. Exercise has very clear and well-documented benefits. From improving mood to supporting lean muscle mass and enhancing sleep quality, the benefits of exercise cannot and should not be underestimated."

Here's a link to another article that is probably similar to the one in TIME. I hated it.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090806/hl_time/08599191485700

Here's the link to where I posted about this article
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62430-have-you-read-this-article

Personally, I love riding my bike whether it helps me lose weight or not.

Demetria
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that article, but I used to take a circuit training class, and the instructor said there is no such thing as "spot reducing." In other words, you can't do certain exercises to lose weight in a specific part of your body, you can only tone those muscles. She explained that the only way to lose weight it by reducing calories, whether by cutting back on your intake, or exercising (preferably a combination of both). Remember, 3,500 calories = 1 pound.

And muscle weighs more than fat, but is denser, so while the scales show an increase, the tape measure will show a decrease!

Just wanted to remind people that muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh exactly the same, one pound. However the mass in one pound of fat is much greater than the mass in one pound of muscle. So, even if your weight remains the same, you can lose inches because the pound of muscle takes up less space than the pound of fat.

I exercise for better muscle tone and better cardiovascular health, I eat correctly to help gain muscle and burn fat. I think it works best in coordination with each other, exercise + healthier eating = slimmer person.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    Frankly I don't care if I end up weighing 400lbs if I'm skinny and have the rock hard body of an 18 year old (I'm 39).