How do I determine my goal weight?

Options
I am 5"5-5"6 but I don't really know what my goal weight should be. In terms of BMI, it should be between 115-145, but where in there should I be? I don't want to set an unreasonable goal...help!

Replies

• brklnlrsn
    brklnlrsn Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm 5'5" too and want to weigh 115-120 pounds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I am 5"5-5"6 but I don't really know what my goal weight should be. In terms of BMI, it should be between 115-145, but where in there should I be? I don't want to set an unreasonable goal...help!
    Find out your lean body mass. Once you do that you can approximate what your weight should be by deciding what body fat % you want to be at.

So for instance if you want to be 20% body fat you take your lean weight and divide it by 1 minus .20.

So say you're 95lbs lean weight then that would be:

95/.80 which equals 118.75lbs

So at 118.75 lbs you'd be 20% body fat.

But again you need to know your lean body weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sorry that I can't really answer your question, but I think whatever goal weight you set is going to be a crude estimate so don't get too caught up on that number. The easiest way to determine your goal weight would be if you felt good as an adult at a previous weight. You can use that as an anchor and maybe adjust it a little based on various factors.