I really want to take up cycling... Any tips?

Options
I haven't been on a bike since I was like ten :) but I'd love to start. I plan on going to a bike shop in a couple of months to find one the right size, style for me. I just plan on riding paved roads, trails. Any information would be appreciated :) thank you

Replies

• ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey, good on you for wanting to take up cycling. So you're going offroad yeah?

My advice would be to go buy yourself a second hand mountain bike and then see whether you like riding. If you get hooked, your first bike won't be your last and you can upgrade to something nice without having spent a fortune upfront. Most entry level bikes aren't that good value for what you get (well in Australia anyway), so a decent second hand bike can often be a fair bit cheaper.

The other piece of advice I'd give you would be to try and find a casual cycling group to get started with. Riding in a group is heaps more fun than riding solo!

Good luck!
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    1CALIJIBARO2 Posts: 132
    Options
    yeah look into hybrids.....there are many to choose from......there are hybrids emphisis for either preference..I started with a hybrid towards road cycling........ 700c wheels and thinner tires, forks are adjustable for mnt or road terrane and has a lock lever...GOOD LUCK and HAPPY TRAILS........
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I bought my mountain bike second hand, check out craigslist. I bought a $1000 Specialized for $350 that had only been ridden twice.
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're female then get a bike seat designed for the female anatomy (makes a big difference to the comfort factor over distances!). Also, get some padded bike shorts - they may feel a bit odd when you first wear them, but again, comfort is king here.

Have fun!
  • Reaper049
    Reaper049 Posts: 32
    Options
    Choose the bike you feel most comfortable with, Iv been cycling now for a few weeks, and let me tell you! its great. I now cycle everyday for about 20minutes a day, mind you when i started, i couldn't cycle for that long. It makes you feel great and is completely healthy for your fitness and well being. It has also helped me feel better emotionally :smile:
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are looking to ride on paved trails..... We started riding with a fitness bike ( specialized Sirius sport). From there we moved into road bikes. I agree with ryanh that your first bike you buy will not be your last....Craig's list is a great way to get a decent first bike. We have got many good deals on there.... I would first however go to a good bike store (and not just one) to determine what type of bike is best for your needs and the correct size (yes, size does matter!) Make sure to test ride it at the store.... I ride a WSB (another abbreviation) Women's Specific Bike. It is more comfortable for me since I am more petite and 5'3. In a couple months you might be able to get some good retail close out deals! Any other questions just let me know.