what's the deal with smoothies? Help

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
I have drunk shop bought smoothies in the past and after seeing so many people drinking them on here I am thinking of making my own. I've been stuck eating the same breakfast everyday and was thinking of having a smoothie instead.

I'm a very restricted diet and I was thinking of using almond milk which is now available in the supermarket. Its also way that i will enjoy eating bananas. I cannot have dairy, eggs, soya or gluten.

I've seen lots of post using protein powder which at this stage I'm not worried about but what about green smoothies. Why do we add spinach - is it for the iron content and can you taste it. ( I have read some posts where they say not and just add it too your fruit).

I have ordered a smoothies maker that will break ice so thinking about getting some frozen berries and can I add tinned fruit ( eg pinapple). Also thinking about adding kelp.

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Options
    bump
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    A smoothie is only as healthy as you make it. I personally would avoid canned fruit, too much added sugar or syrups. Stick with fresh of frozen. With the frozen buy the "no sugar" or "unsweetened" variety. They will taste like how fruit should taste, it just has no extra added sugar.

I don't use protein powders, but I have made smoothies at home with protein drink (box) such as EAS Advantage Carb Control. I like the Vanilla or Strawberry. Then I just add in variety of frozen fruit, whatever sounds good. Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, banana's etc. I also like to make smoothies with orange juice. I use the Minute Maid pure light, 50% less sugar. I like to add in frozen fruit such as pineapple or peaches. I also add spinach to all of mine, about 1 cup. I can absolutely not taste the spinach, it just turns your smoothie a green hue. lol
    I also add crushed ice cubes to all of my smoothies once everything is mixed. I like them cold and with a slushy/frothy type consistency.

You could probably make a banana/peanut butter smoothie with plain almond milk.
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ive been drinking smoothies for a week now and i love them! i use frozen blueberries and then lots of fresh fruit and vegetables! i put spinach and kale in mine and i use green tea & OJ to thin them out and make them easier to drink through a straw:) they usually look gross but taste lovely! i was sceptical of the benefits they're meant to have but ive found my cravings for unhealthy food have dramatically dropped! i seem to be craving healthier food and i feel like i have more energy! yay for smoothies :P
  • Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options
    Smoothies, like anything else you make, is determined by what you put in it. They can be very healthy for you, provided you put in ingredients that are deemed healthy, such as adding in raw spinach, bananas, strawberries, etc, and keep portions in control. Also, the reason on why we add in raw spinach is that it provides an amazing amount of micronutrients per serving, and if you have a good blender, you will not be able to taste the spinach much, while still enjoying the taste blended from your other ingredients.
  • rowerdc
    rowerdc Posts: 36
    Options
    Kale or Spinach -- add lots! I find that pineapple, berries, and a banana mask the greens taste -- even my 10 year old son eats the smoothy! Buy whole pineapple.... don't be intimidated by cutting off the husk... it keeps in the fridge for days and days, and tastes DELISH!!! Mango is also a super food, and is delicious. Good luck... this is a great way to eat healthy.
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    Options
    I made a 'kale smoothie' yesterday. I used, 1.5 cups of fresh kale, 2 bananas, 2 cups frozen strawberries, splash of oj, 2 tablespoons whole flax meal and one cup of plain, no fat greek yogurt and a few ice cubes. P.S. this made two large servings at just under 300 calories each. Could NOT taste the kale. It was yummy. So if you can't do dairy, try the almond milk. Just experiment with the things you can have... and SHARE YOUR RECIPES WITH US :o)
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    There are several really great smoothie recipes here, and I've adopted some of them for my own breakfasts. My go-to smoothie recipe is as follows:

1 cup water
    1/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1 scoop (gluten-free) whey protein powder, vanilla
    1 teaspoon Jello sugar-free fat free cheesecake pudding mix
    1/2 banana, sliced and frozen
    5 organic frozen strawberries (I use Cascadian Farm)

You can change the flavors of the whey and pudding mix and choose different fruits or additives. For instance, I've chosen chocolate whey powder, fudge pudding mix, and creamy peanut butter (Fifty-50). I also add my Osteo-Biflex and, if needed, some Acacia fiber powder, but that's just me.

The thing is - since I'v'e been having protein and fruit shakes every morning, I'm finding it keeps me full till lunch AND I think, somehow, it's making the weight come off easier? I dunno - that's just the way it seems. I read recently that some trainer who is famous said you should definitely have protein and fruit for breakfast... so I have to wonder if it's a combination my body really needed.

:flowerforyou:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Smoothies with almond milk are yummy...with or without protein powder. Try mango and strawberry. Also, yes do add some spinach. Lots of good nutrition in there for hardly any calories. You can't taste it although it can look a little swampy. Smoothies are sweet and can sub for something a lot more unhealthy like a milkshake.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually have a smoothie after I lift or for lunch. I put a cup of spinach in it. Frozen or fresh berries (I buy them when they're on sale and freeze them myself). Genuine health has a vegan protein+ powder that might meet your needs. I prefer the vanilla. And I use water. But I have used almond milk and it's just fine with that. I also add coconut oil to it for healthy fat content. The protein and fat fill me up.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Thanks everyone - made my first smoothie with banana, coconut milk, strawberry and spinach. Could not taste the spinach but need to add more fruit next time. Have got some frozen fruit plus a mango to try during the week.
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    Options
    Isn't this site great!?! So much support and everyone has been where we are or has tried something that can help. Keep on with the smoothies and here's what I do, once blended, I taste it before I finish in case I need to add a few more strawberries or blueberries or whatever. It's so easy and you know you are getting alot of nutrition at once :o)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The best smoothies are the simplest. A few of my favorite are pitted fresh dates and bananas, and i make one with blueberries, strawberries and bananas. Or a tropical one with pineapple, mango, papaya.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I make mine with orange juice, a fresh banana, and frozen fruits. No yogurt, no milk, no added sweeteners. They're delicious and filling.
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I like Spiru-Tein powder (http://www.spiru-tein.com/). I use a cup of Silk or milk, a frozen banana, a hand full of blueberries or strawberries, and a hand full of ice...throw it all in the blender. Tastes like a thick milkshake!
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    bump...always looking for new smoothie recipes
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bump!