anyone slightly overweight like me?

Options
I remember when I was 20 the kilos/pounds would just drop off so easily... I miss those days, I am slightly overweight, with a bmi of 27, I started counting calories on May 26th and started at 78kg and since then (2 weeks) lost only 2 kilos, I'm now 75.8kg... (78kg=172lbs/75.8kg=167) so nearly 5lbs... I understand that this is a healthy drop considering my age (29) and amount of time, i just wish weight would melt away faster LOL!
Anyways, is anyone in the same boat as me? needing to lose just about 20lbs only and being super impatient!?
My goal is to be the same weight as I was before I got pregnant which was 68kg=149.9/150lbs! I recently purchased a jump rope and thought this'll be easy... NO WAY, I was planning on jumping for 15 minutes, I hardly managed 1.5 minutes, lol, I'll get there I suppose!

So guys, feel free to share your experience, motivation, frustrations, secrets and tips on how to make this 20lbs loss a much better and bearable experience! It's not about being hungry, but mostly about reaching our goal ASAP and in a healthy way!

Happy Sunday everyone! (ps. feel free to add me as a friend and we can help eachother, exchange recipes, food diaries and workouts!) :)

Replies

• Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Age 29, BMI of 27, looking to get down to mid-healthy BMI range. I've found the best way is to set yourself a challenge - I've taken up running, and signed up for a half marathon, but anything will work! As I'll get lighter and the weight will get harder to lose, the training sessions get naturally longer and I burn more calories. Working so far :)
  • Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106
    Options
    I can't believe I'm about to say this but I'M slightly overweight. That's a first. Just checked today and my BMI is 26, my BF is also 26%. My goal is to decrease the BF to about 23-20. I'm all about recipes. I've changed my attitude toward food a long time ago, but now I'm creatively working on a Ketogenic lifestyle. It seems to be working for me. I was at a plateau for a while, more like maintenance I think. Since I started Keto 3 weeks ago, I dropped 11lbs with minimal exercise. Not that that isn't important (I do more walking and some exercise at home). Will increase that as soon as school's out. Feel free to check out my diary.

And ditto about the jump rope. Mine has weights and there's no way I'm counting minutes. I do 100 jumps if I can (smoking isn't helping that ). Some exercises are measured in minutes, which I think is odd. 5 minutes of push ups? No, I can do sets. And if I do it in 1 minute, that doesn't count any less, I say!

Anyhooo, I'm adding you :)
  • Masharitos
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Age 29, BMI of 27, looking to get down to mid-healthy BMI range. I've found the best way is to set yourself a challenge - I've taken up running, and signed up for a half marathon, but anything will work! As I'll get lighter and the weight will get harder to lose, the training sessions get naturally longer and I burn more calories. Working so far :)

My challenge is to complete INSANITY. My challenge is currently collecting dust. I watched the fit test and was sweating. I'll start it June 22nd. The results should be interesting.
  • cookiefluff
    cookiefluff Posts: 115
    Options
    Morning guys! You are right Masharitos! measuring rope jumping in minutes is just a let down LOL, my jumprope has an added pedometer so it counts calories burnt, jumps and miles! My exercise is also minimum , it's hard to work out at home if you have kids. But I do walk a lot, I have stairs and I find myself going up and down all day, cleaning after my daughter who is really messy ha ha. and now jumping rope for a minute hehe... I hope I can increase that eventually! Anywho! Tell me more about your ketogenic diet plan? it seems as if we have a similar exercise routine and it would be awesome to lose 11lbs! Added you!
  • cookiefluff
    cookiefluff Posts: 115
    Options
    yeah, I keep seeing posts about that INSANITY, I need to check it out, seems hard... :/
  • Masharitos
    Options
    For Keto my caloric intake comes from 65% fat, 30%protein and 5% from carbs. BUT, carbs are everywhere!!! So, I definitely had to get creative. I discovered a lot of foods that I wouldn't have otherwise. Miracle Noodles are the closest you'll get to eating air. Zero everything. They are made of soluble plant fiber called Glucomannan, made from the Konjac plant. I use the 'noodles' in different recipes, including making a pizza crust. I've made zero carb bread from flax meal, almond flour cookies for .77 carbs each. What can I say? It's pretty good. The downside for most people is not eating fruit or as many veggies. I don't eat anything low fat, since they sub sugar for fat. I eat clean. Some chose the dirty route and eat red meat and fried food all the time. Meh, that wasn't part of my life before, so I'm doing it a healthier way. Also, just as with any other diet, you watch your calories to get the most out of it. However, I do know some people who do not count on Keto and still lose body fat. That's the goal. Lose BF without losing muscle.

Once you deplete your body of carbs, it compensates by creating Ketones, which it uses to consume fat (instead of carbs) for energy. And from what I remember, it takes 3 calories to burn a carbohydrate v. 9 calories to burn fat. Something like that. The diet is high in fat because you don't want the ketones to start using protein to get energy, and therefore destroying your muscles. A lot of body builders use this program and CKD (Keto with cycles of carb-up days) to lose body fat while maintaining lean body mass.

Uhhh... I can go on and on really. But since I started, I've had one friend join me, and she's seen success as well, though she's not as strict with her calories and carb intakes. Anything less than 100g of carbs per day will put you in ketosis (this would take a couple of days while your body uses up and carbs left in your system). I consume less than 10 on average, definitely less than 20. Ummm... yeah I'll pause for questions now. :blushing:
  • Masharitos
    Options
    I thought I was done, but now my brain is going full force.

It may sound like Atkins. However, I'd like to point out several things. Dr. Atkins (was he a doctor?) made way for diets like Keto and Primal and Paleo. But they are all distinctly different. There are no products made from things you can't pronounce that you consume instead of real cake or cookies. I make everything myself, I do all the math. Keto allows for less carbs. Atkins says all cheeses are fair game. But if you look at mozzarella, it has sugar in it. I'll stick to cheddar, thanks (or other hard cheeses). It's not primal or paleo because nuts and berries are limited, as are veggies. Eventually you get to know which have the least amount of net carbs (total carbs- fiber). Ok, I think that's all I got for the moment.

P.S. Push ups against the counter while I wait for the tea pot to boil. That's what works for me. Leg lifts or squats while I brush my teeth. Haha. And of course dancing in the shower. That's what I call living on the edge. :)
  • 21blondie26
    21blondie26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think its hard to lose that slightly overweight weight. My BMI is at about 27. I have gotten in the right area before then I get lazy with keeping track of what I eat. That is the big thing with me is that I need to write it down. So far I really like how easy this site is to keep track of things.
  • dmwiseman
    dmwiseman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am also in the same boat. I have been on here since March and keep hovering @ 26 BMI. I have developed these sugary chocolate cravings since I have gotten older and for some reason every time I lose a couple of pounds I want to spend a day grazing on treats. Not a full out binge, just a little candy here and there throughout the day topped off with some seasoned snack crackers that I justify by eating with cheese. Plus my regular food of course!

I am glad you started this thread. It is hard to get support when you have relatively little to lose. I feel better just writing all that down. Now, I'm off for a walk with the dog!
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 25.1...2 lbs away from the normal category lol.

However I would like to lose more like 10-20 lbs.

Jumping rope IS tough!!!! We do it for three minutes at a time in my HIIT class and it is killer!
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 26 and my body fat (as best I can determine using measurements) is about the same. I'm older than you, though (44), and like to blame menopause for it since the extra pounds came on after hitting that lovely (not) phase of life and its accompanying medication. I am 5'6" tall and struggling just to maintain at 154-155 though my doctor thinks I should be back at 140 where I was for the previous 20 some years of my life.

At this point I don't see that happening until I get off these meds, however, since I've been stuck here for nearly 5 years now. I would like to at least get at or near 150, though.
  • Gwoman2012
    Options
    What meds do you have to take for menopause?
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    What meds do you have to take for menopause?

My doc put my (for the first time ever) on low dose birth control to keep my crazy out of control periods in check and to stop the menstrual migraines that I started having (also first time ever). I wasn't crazy about getting on birth control since I don't need it for the usual reasons, but I had to do SOMETHING. I was unable to work otherwise due to the migraines and the cramping blackouts. Oh, and the number one side effects for these pills are weight gain and thinning scalp hair. Yes and yes, sadly. :(

Obviously not everyone goes through this, but my periods have been beyond hellish ever since I started.
  • Gwoman2012
    Options
    Ugh that stinks! I know all about menstrual migraines...but the ironic thing is BC pills actually caused them for me!

Hope you feel better soon.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Ugh that stinks! I know all about menstrual migraines...but the ironic thing is BC pills actually caused them for me!

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks - and yeah, I know! I've heard that from others as well. Go figure. So typical of me, though - nothing EVER goes as expected for me when it comes to this stuff. I actually feel 100% better physically being on the pills - just bummed about the weight gain and my hair falling out.
  • Masharitos
    Options
    Dmwiseman,

I was never a chocolate lover, but started eating more of it in recent months. I chose 85% lindt, and it was good. Now I get 99% and my brain fools me into thinking it's a bit sweet. You can also create better snack for yourself. Then you'll feel good when you're eating something yummy.
  • 21blondie26
    21blondie26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have gone through exactly what you are. Birthcontrol pills gave me high blood pressure so I couldn't do that anymore. Finally got an IUD just to control the bleeding. MUCH better. Birthcontrol pills also made my migraines a lot worse. Kind of have a headache today. :frown: The only thing that has helped control my headaches is propranolol. The headaches when I get them are not as severe. Once I quit the pill I was able to control my weight a lot easier as well.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Did it take you a few days/weeks to get to your highest weight? Probably not so all your weight ain't gonna come off in a few days/weeks.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Did it take you a few days/weeks to get to your highest weight? Probably not so all your weight ain't gonna come off in a few days/weeks.

I must have missed something - I don't think anyone said it would come off that quickly?? Of course it will take time.