Just got fitbit yesterday!

I received my fitbit yesterday and I'm really excited to use it. I set it all up and used it for the first time last night on the "sleep" mode.

I do have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I linked fitbit to mfp and it's now adding my calories that I've burned.

I don't want to eat more then my calories mfp has set up for me. Isn't the calories that I burn through the day already in my mfp calories to eat per day?

Also, I have a hrm that i use for running/zumba to give me an accurate calorie count. If I'm using that, I should not be wearing the fitbit since it will probably be doubling what I burn?

I hope I make sense...I'm just a little confused lol

Any other suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Bump, thinking of getting one and would like to see the answers
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    I`d wear both the HRM & The Fitbit, just so you can compare, i think the fitbit is a little over generous with cals burnt to be honest, so if it tells me i`ve earned an extra 2000 cals, i`ll only eat back 1000...But its up to you..If your eating back your full cals and you stall with your losses...Eat back half of what it says..

And if you want to add me...I`m here..

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22FJ8V

then you can have a look at my graphs and see what i`m burning and what i`m eating..
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    I also have a fitbit and HRM. I use my HRM when Im at the Gym Lifting or if I was on any type of work out machine Bike eliptical or tread mill.

The Fitbit I use mostly in my day to day activities. Since one day I sit at a desk all day and the next day Im on my feet all day and never really know what my work is going to need me to do untill the day of. This helps me get a accuate measurement of how active I have been through the day. and most importantly how much activity I need to incorporate into my evening.

2x a week I work out with a trainer doing a total body work out:
    1 to 2x a week I make sure I exciede my Fitbit goals by atleast one mile

Feel free to add me as a friend On MFP and Fitbit ( esalas98@hotmail.com)

welcome to the world of counting steps

Edward
  • dancngdolfn
    dancngdolfn Posts: 81 Member
    I have a fit bit also and i love it. Can I also add you guys to my fit bit page. I don't have anyone on there and I would like to see what others are doing also.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    I wear mine all the time, even at the gym, however, log all your "exercise" only on MFP, you'll notice it now asks for your time started and you already put in time spent. That avoids double booking. Then be sure to watch out for stairs you didn't earn, I have to log all my motorcycle time over on fitbit since for some reason the motorcycle confused the heck out of it, a 2 hours motorbike trip got me 21 flights of stairs, oops, logged the motorbike time and those went away. Be sure to analyze your fitbit log for times it gives you stuff you shouldn't have like that. I've noticed during the strength training part I don't get any changes on the fitbit except for the steps between machines so it's a good thing I have my HRM on. Now the treadmill, love the steps there since without it some days I would be screwed on getting my 10k steps, lol. My job can be 5k steps one day and 13k the next, boo hiss. Anyway, have fun, and keep a close on on your log.
    Also, only wear the wristband at night or you will get some crazy numbers of steps.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    1200 calories is what you need just to exist. Laying in bed not moving even. Fitbit gives you the calories from the daily activity that is not calculated in to the 1200. I dont log my exercise anymore so the deficit is always there regardless. Fitbit logs it as steps and gives me calories so no need to log. IF you do log your exercise it will ask you what time and how long so it can recalculate and not overlap with the fitbit. It erases the fitbit steps for the period that you exercised and logs the exercise instead.I haven't been without my fitbit since January and wear it when I run races, I just let it log the steps. It really helped me to eat more like everyone says we should, I was starving myself.
  • Bump. I'm interested in maybe getting a fitbit, but I'd like to hear from more people about how they are using it, and how it works with MFP. I already use an HRM when I work out. I can't decide if its worth the extra expense, and the time of differentiating between my built in deficits on MFP, my exercise calories from my HRM, and the calories the fitbit says I burned. If you've got tips/success stories I'd love to hear them.

I'm trying an experiment of wearing my HRM for 24 hours on a relatively sedentary day to see how my actual BMR lines up with the numbers the calculators give me...we'll see how it goes.
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Bump. I'm interested in maybe getting a fitbit, but I'd like to hear from more people about how they are using it, and how it works with MFP. I already use an HRM when I work out. I can't decide if its worth the extra expense, and the time of differentiating between my built in deficits on MFP, my exercise calories from my HRM, and the calories the fitbit says I burned. If you've got tips/success stories I'd love to hear them.

I'm trying an experiment of wearing my HRM for 24 hours on a relatively sedentary day to see how my actual BMR lines up with the numbers the calculators give me...we'll see how it goes.

I'm curious about this as well.