Coconut Oil good for weightloss?

Options
Is anyone else using coconut oil? I've heard it helps aid in weight loss, increasing metabolism, better skin, removing toxins from your body...etc..... and I took a tsp of coconut oil in my morning coffee for the first 2 days of my diet and lost 5 lbs...I stopped taking it and now im losing alot slower averaging about .2 lbs a night if that. Any info?

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I don't know about it being good for weightloss, but I make a hair mask with it.
  • 55girl
    55girl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually just ordered some online because I have many friends that lost weight using coconut oil and they were not exercising just dieting. I'll give it a try and see if it works. It is great for your metabolism though. If it helped you lose weight I'd say go back to using it. :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Not neccesarily for weight loss per se...but Coconut oil has lots of healthy fats in it - the healthy fats help your body function and keeps you feeling fuller longer.

the tablespoon in the coffee for 2 days did not result in you loosing 5 lbs...chances are watching what you eat, drinking lots of water and flushing your system helped you loose some water weight...
  • JenniferDent_CHC
    JenniferDent_CHC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist taught me that good fat is good for your body and coconut oil is a great fat. Low fat diets don't work. I just ordered a book she recommended I read. Eat Fat, Lose Fat. http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-Healthy-Alternative/dp/0452285666

I've trippled my fat intake over the past 2 weeks and the inches are disappearing from my body. I'm very excited. I eat 1 - 2 tbsp of coconut oil a day. This book recommends I eat 11/2 tbsp. 3x a day. I'm working on adding more cocount to my diet. Try it and see how it works!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Low fat diets don't work.

I'm sorry, but that is simply not true.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    It tastes like ****.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Eh, prove it.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My proffessor just finished giving me a lecture about how bad coconut oil is. According to him, its high in saturated fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is processed and therefore it is terrible for you
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is processed and therefore it is terrible for you

Does wonders for my crusty feet though.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by staying in a calorie deficit. Although coconut oil may have some healthy and beneficial properties to it....it will not magically make you lose weight.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Eh, prove it.

I have only gone over 60g of fat once in the last 90 days and been under 30g for the majority of the days.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I use coconut oil for all my cooking and in my hair as well. Low-Fat diets may not be for everyone because when you take out the fat it is often replaced with sugar. I'm eating fat, protein and natural carbs and feel better than i have in a long time. but what may work for me may not be for everyone. To each their own.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its good for weightloss but it is very nice to cook with :)!

I love using it on veggies gives it a very faint taste and the smell of it is awesome!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Processed saturated fats are not good but coconut oil is a good fat and it does have properties than can help weight loss. You need good fats.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Processed saturated fats are not good but coconut oil is a good fat and it does have properties than can help weight loss. You need good fats. Not all coconut oil is processed.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great. It is one of the few oils that does not turn to transfat when heated to a high heat. I use it for sauteeing everything. You really should stay away from fat free foods. Fat is flavor without it foods need to have sodium, chemicals and/or sugar added to taste good. your body needs fat to survive. Eating fat does not make you fat. Eating too many calories makes you fat.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    its highly debatable... sure there might be antioxidents, boosts metabolism, gives you super powers or whatever but its saturated fats like anything else so eating whole eggs would have similar benefits.. keep a balance between fats and make sure you get enough healthy fats in your diet and ur good to go... definately dont go low fat, just keep it at an essential fat level so like around 50g depending on body weight maybe around 35g minimum if you are a woman and smaller
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it helps detox? Things like stress, toxins, and bad bacteria in your gut will all make you gain weight regardless of how much you are exercising and eating. I am reading Dr. Mark Heyman's book The Blood Sugar Solution. It is a good guide to to detox and fix a lot of what is preventing your weight loss.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Fats are more calorie dense than anything else per gram.

Carbs = 4 calories/gram
    Protein = 4 calories/gram
    Fat = 9 calories/gram

If you do cut fat, it would cut calories, but that doesn't take into account how the body processes it necessarily.

Anyway, I like coconut oil a lot (in moderation). The body probably might use the medium chain fatty acids in some way, but I have no idea if that benefits weight loss. I do believe that in bigger quantities it can be a laxative, so if you're full of s**t, it might help you lose weight! :laugh:

Oy, not the whole "it helps get rid of toxins" business again. There are no mysterious toxins floating around your body causing "bad energy." If memory serves, it's the liver that removes toxins from the body. So... if your liver isn't working, and coconut oil helped liver function (pretty sure it doesn't), then yes, it would help remove "toxins" indirectly. Please research two words: pseudoscience (and) toxins.