Things people say that stick with you...

Options
I feel so self-conscious of myself everytime I gain some weight because of the things that people said to me when I was at my goal weight.

Sometimes, I feel like, there are things people say without thinking about it, that just stick with us. Some of it hurts, some of it feels good sometimes.

For example, my ex boyfriend told me that about 2 years ago I was "heavier." He told me this when I was only 5 lbs lighter, and when I mentioned that he replied with "what a difference 5lbs makes!"
That has stuck with me, especially now that I'm 15lbs heavier than that! It felt good at the time, but now it makes me feel horrible to think about it!

Ugh. does anyone know what I mean??

Replies

• tech_sarah
    Options
    I think I can relate... even if it was years ago it was said. When I was younger and alot heavier my grandpap used to tell me if I got any bigger I wouldnt fit thru the doorway. My great grandpap before told me that I looked alot like my mom and my sister, except I was just alot fatter than they were.
    There were others, but those were the two that always stuck with me. They've passed now, and my pap never got to see me thinner, but I do know what you mean...
  • strawberry25shortcake
    Options
    I think that both of you are beautiful young women. People sometimes (even if it's our closest family members) tend to say things that should not have been said. Ever. I don't really know what you mean, although I remember one of my very good friends tell me I was fat. I was only 8 years old and I never forgot about it. Oh...now I remember- my aunt told me once I was fatter than her "skinny-mini" daughter. Now, the laugh is on me because her daughter is fatter than I am:laugh: . Not to be mean...but you know what I'm saying. Both of you (tech_sarah and kankan213) are gorgeous. KanKan- don't let it get to you because you are beautiful:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    My grandmother always tells me I have to eat right and all that, as if I didn't already know. She always says something to imply that I've only gotten fatter since the last time she saw me. One time she even pointed at a picture from like 2 years back and was like "I think you've gained a little bit since then" Thanks Nana....I know.
    She even once had the nerve to tell my sister "Oh hunny its nice you dont have that gut anymore" My sister's weight has never gone above 130. She's always been the prettiest one of us and has always looked great. She never had a "gut" to get rid of.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I can still hear my mom saying........."dont bend over like that your *kitten* is so BIG"...........I was 120 pounds:laugh:

My uncle once said, after not seeing me for 15 years " Well I can see you and your husband are doing well financially by the size of your *kitten*"

See the family resemblance??:ohwell:

For some reason family feels they have the right to make whatever comment they want. I make it a habit to NOT mention the obvious to my kids. If they are overweight...they know it, dont need me to say it.

:heart: Jeannie
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You hang in there!! You CAN do this.

-Susan
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

The thing I think that makes me mad is that I thought I looked fine 5lbs heavier! Now that I'm 15lbs heavier I still think I look fine- I mean, I obviously want to lose it (thats why I'm here! lol) but it's not like I'm overweight by any means... and I think thats why people think it is okay to criticize my weight, because I'm not overweight. But that is what makes people develope eating/body image issues!
  • 2kaizen
    2kaizen Posts: 64
    Options
    I think we all have our war stories. My mother has given me a hard time about my weight since I was 12 - stating the "we" needed to go on a diet - and telling me what I shouldn't eat (then why did you buy it in the first place?). She even felt compelled to tell me how fat I was when I was 6 months pregnant. She's mellowed a bit, but always makes a fuss over it when she thinks I've lost weight.

I ate to spite her as a child - so it was because of her I was over-weight anyway!

I guess it's time to let go of all that and focus on my kids and doing what's right for me, no matter who else it pleases or doesn't please.
  • chrissey
    chrissey Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funnny how we remember the things that hit a nerve...

I'll never forget coming home to tell my parents that I was expecting my first baby....My mother was happy and my father replied " That's great but where the hell are you going to put another 40 pounds?"

It definately wasn't a Hallmark moment