Progress Motivation -- Scale is no judge of loss

Options
"Some quit due to slow progress, never grasping the fact that slow progress... is still progress" -Rolsey

I really like this quote because the number on the scale is NOT the way to measure progress... A tape measure, a camera, and an occasional bf% measurement is the way to go! The scale can stay the same but your clothes my fit better, you may feel better in the morning, etc. and THAT is what counts!!!

For those that know me already, they've seen my pics from my original 50lbs lost, but also my current 3 month progress (pics available on my FB page, www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness).. In those 3 months, my weight hasn't changed and my measurements have not changed.. but I can clearly SEE a difference from month to month.. and while it's slow.. and it doesn't change overnight. I KNOW I'm making progress...

I hope you all stay in there and do your best to lead a more healthy and active lifestyle because life is just too short to spend it on the couch!!!

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D

Replies

• crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Indeed! I was clicking away at a bit more than 1 lb a week for a while, but have hit a bit of a weight loss wall over the last several weeks... my torture and pleasure in this is... even though the scale is stuck on stupid, my clothes have began to fit so poorly (sloppily, even), I'm about ready for an entirely new wardrobe! Looks like I'm wearing my big brother's suits... and I'm the biggest of my brothers!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I know right? I have two pairs of jeans from High School (10 years ago) that I now fit in.. but for pants/shorts.. they're all too big!! Now I just gotta work my butt off to earn some money to buy new clothes! lol! =D
  • trina433
    trina433 Posts: 96
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! :smile:
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love that quote! Can I borrow it for my siggie?
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    Great post!
  • Calm_Lotus_06
    Calm_Lotus_06 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had just made a blog post today about this very thing! I have not seem much progress on the scale but I can feel the difference and I can see it in my eyes. Thanks for this post.. more people need to see this fact too! :happy:
  • RenVan
    RenVan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I completely agree with you about the scale! :)
  • JenaePavlak
    Options
    Isn't funny how something so simple can affect how we feel about ourselves? Our society has put a number on how we are suppose to look with no regards to our level of health.. It's a huge obstacle to overcome. I haven't thrown out the scale as it can be useful in the long run (I track overall progress on my Wii). I would pay more attention to the overall line going down than what the number says day to day.
  • lauravasseur
    Options
    Am I the only person on here who doesn't own a scale? I figure I will know when I am losing weight by how my clothes fit. I figure if I am losing inches then I am losing weight. I don't want to be a slave to the scale, so I refuse to buy one.
  • JenaePavlak
    Options
    Am I the only person on here who doesn't own a scale? I figure I will know when I am losing weight by how my clothes fit. I figure if I am losing inches then I am losing weight. I don't want to be a slave to the scale, so I refuse to buy one.

WTG! Sometimes that is what people need! I technically one a real scale.. but I think I've stepped on it once in the last 6 months.. but I do step on my WII just so that it tracks something.. I'll have to post that sometime :laugh:
  • lauravasseur
    Options

WTG! Sometimes that is what people need! I technically one a real scale.. but I think I've stepped on it once in the last 6 months.. but I do step on my WII just so that it tracks something.. I'll have to post that sometime :laugh:

Well, if thats you in the pic, you look fabulous! Whatever you are doing is working
  • ambuney83
    ambuney83 Posts: 47
    Options
    Thank you! I needed this today. I have only lost about three pounds after months of working out and was getting quite discouraged. I can tell that my body is changing and I am getting stronger, but it is hard not to see the number on the scale go down. I finally just put it in my husband's bathroom instead! I'm just going to keep on truckin!
  • JenaePavlak
    Options
    Thank you! I needed this today. I have only lost about three pounds after months of working out and was getting quite discouraged. I can tell that my body is changing and I am getting stronger, but it is hard not to see the number on the scale go down. I finally just put it in my husband's bathroom instead! I'm just going to keep on truckin!

Awesome! I'm glad I could be of some help! =D