Taking measurements

Options
Is really important to take measurements? If so, what ones are suggested? Hips, waist, bust ect?

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Is really important to take measurements? If so, what ones are suggested? Hips, waist, bust ect?

I measure bust (fullest part), waist, belly (the largest part halfway between hips and waist), hips (largest part around my butt), both thighs and both calfs (largest parts).

I measure in inches to the eighth of an inch.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

It depends on your goal. For a rough measure of your body fat, waist and hips. Most women include the bust. To see if exercise is changing your shape, most people take many more measurements, including neck, bicep, thighs, and calves.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I personally find taking measurements of anything that can show progress to be important. The scale is fickle-and if I eat too much sodium or it's TOM or the planets aren't in alignment-the scale may not show me the progress I've made (however small). So from a motivational standpoint, anything that gives me a boost is a win.

From another side (and maybe this is just me), despite losing 65-ish lbs and dropping 4 clothing sizes-I see NO difference between me when I started & me now. Every possible tool I can use to help me realize there's an enormous difference is a help. I did not take any measurements until I had lost a fair amount-and I wish I had. I also have no "before" photos-so I will never have the chance to really see the overall change-and I'm guessing it's going to take a long time for my own eyes & brain to see it too.

And measure whatever you want to measure. I am shaped kind of like a snowman on legs-so take a whole lot of measurements of all the lumps.
  • KarenThompson2
    Options
    I want to start taking measurements but don't kow how to. Any suggestions on somewhere I can find pictures of how to do it? I'm a very visual learner.
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • steffers96
    steffers96 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I measure bust (fullest part), waist, belly (the largest part halfway between hips and waist), hips (largest part around my butt), both thighs and both calfs (largest parts).

I measure in inches to the eighth of an inch.

DITTO! There's no better way of doing it!! :)
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    On the 16th of every month I take a new photo and measure my neck, bicep, chest above breasts, forearm, waist, hips, thigh, and calf.