Greek yogurt vs protein powder

Options
momma_a
momma_a Posts: 117 Member
I am thinking about adding more protein into my diet and lifting heavier. However, I don't want to do protein shakes. I have been looking at greek yogurt and notice that the brand I buy has 17 g of protein in 1 cup. If I remember correctly, this is around the amount a scoop of protein powder has.

Anyone out there think that greek yogurt is equivalent to protein powder in terms of the protein amount in them?

Replies

• TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I utilize both in my shakes/diet, but you should go with what you like/prefer. If I may be frank, that protein amount sounds a bit on the lower side. My Greek yogurt gets 23 grams a cup and my protein powder (isolate) gets 30 grams a scoop. I don't think I'd spend money on yogurt or powder that yields 17 grams a serving.
  • Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options
    From my perspective, protein powder has more protein than greek yogurt, typically. A scoop of protein powder generally has around 22-30g of protein, while greek yogurt has abit less per serving. Greek yogurt is a great alternative in getting protein, of course, but the overall choice depends on your goals, your caloric needs, and having options so that you do not always have to take in protein shakes. With that being said, the protein in greek yogurt will typically have more calories, due to the product not containing only protein, but also on carbohydrates, for instance, and will generally yield less protein than a serving of protein powder.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    You can combine the two sources in one. When I make my protein shakes, I usually put one 1 or 2 scoops of whey protein, about 6-8 oz. of (plain) Greek yogurt, some fruits, nuts, and milk. Huge amount of protein in one drink! Best of luck :)
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein and when it comes to protein powders, they vary in protein content.

The whey protein powder I have has 20g of protein per scoop (90cals, 0carbs, 1g fat). The Greek yogurt I eat has 9g of protein per 100g portion (80cals, 10 carbs, 0 fat).

I have both pretty much every day.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    My Greek yogurt gets 23 grams a cup and my protein powder (isolate) gets 30 grams a scoop.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of greek yogurt do you get?? So far, I've only been able to find I think 17 or 18g of protein at MOST in greek yogurts at several stores... would love to know which brand you buy! :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    My Greek yogurt gets 23 grams a cup and my protein powder (isolate) gets 30 grams a scoop.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of greek yogurt do you get?? So far, I've only been able to find I think 17 or 18g of protein at MOST in greek yogurts at several stores... would love to know which brand you buy! :)

Not at all! Chobani plain Greek, non-fat. 1 cup is 140 cals with the aforementioned grams of protein. I usually buy a couple of the 32 ounce cartons a week.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I am thinking about adding more protein into my diet and lifting heavier. However, I don't want to do protein shakes. I have been looking at greek yogurt and notice that the brand I buy has 17 g of protein in 1 cup. If I remember correctly, this is around the amount a scoop of protein powder has.

Anyone out there think that greek yogurt is equivalent to protein powder in terms of the protein amount in them?

No need to just do protein shakes. You can add protein powder to almost anything. I add it to oatmeal, cereal, and even my greek yogurt. Check out this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/556857-20-delicious-protein-powder-recipes-that-are-not-shakes/
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use Fage greek yogurt, has 130 cal & 23g protein per cup. only 9g of carbs & 0 fat.
    for protein powder I use EAS 100% whey, the build muscle version in vanilla, it has 150 cal & 26g protein in 2 scoops. I put both in a smoothie almost every day
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You can combine the two sources in one. When I make my protein shakes, I usually put one 1 or 2 scoops of whey protein, about 6-8 oz. of (plain) Greek yogurt, some fruits, nuts, and milk. Huge amount of protein in one drink! Best of luck :)

This! And adding protein powder to Greek yogurt also makes a delicious pudding...or ice cream
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    One pro on the side of adding yogurt would be that yogurt's probably better for your gut bacteria.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Last night I made some cheesecake using greek yogurt and it was amazzzinnnggg! Next time I'ma add some protein powder to up the protein count and make it even more amazing! mmm... cheesecake. *drool*
  • momma_a
    momma_a Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the replies! Definitely good ideas :)
  • heimsothe
    heimsothe Posts: 1
    Options
    I didn't check how old this post is, but I use greek yogurt, and my greek yougurt is 23-24g per 8oz depending on the two brands I use. The 24g is Kirkland brand which is costco's store brand. The 23g is Fred Meyer, which is only a west coast store I believe.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt, especially with a teaspoon of honey and some nuts in it.
    On the other hand, protein powder has a foul taste - I have the vegetarian one and when I add it to my soup it's like eating mud.
    Greek yogurt definitely wins for me. :)
  • SickSkilz
    SickSkilz Posts: 40
    Options
    I didnt realize there was so much differnce in the flavors. I have had blueberry but it is higher in sugar and lower in protene. Going to try vanilla and Plain.

I dont love yogurt but it seems smarter than a protein shake. I add a table spoon of Splenda to take away the tartish taste. Plus I have no energy after working out to use and clean a mixer.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I use both... sometimes together... sometimes not. Depends on my mood.

I just got 2 tubs of protein powder -- cinnabun, and chocolate peanut butter cup... Trutein protein powder. It's Casein, Whey and egg white protein... it's ridiculously good.. Serioulsy. My mouth just filled with saliva thinking about it! hahaha
  • dgabrish
    dgabrish Posts: 2
    Options
    Get the plain, non-fat greek yogurt for a replacement to a protein shake. That way you can control the carbohydrate much better by flavoring it yourself. As far as protein required after a workout, studies show that the body can only absorb up to 20g of protein per serving. Anything over that would likely be wasted. So when you are tired of guzzling down protein shakes, greek yogurt makes a great alternative to pre or post workout snacks. See the following article for more discussion. http://www.ironmeals.com/features/swap-the-shake-for-a-greek-yogurt/
  • dgabrish
    dgabrish Posts: 2
    Options
    Get the plain, non-fat greek yogurt for a replacement to a protein shake. That way you can control the carbohydrates much better by flavoring it yourself. As far as protein required after a workout, studies show that the body can only absorb up to 20g of protein per serving. Anything over that would likely be wasted. So when you are tired of guzzling down protein shakes, greek yogurt makes a great alternative to pre or post workout snacks. See the following article for more discussion. http://www.ironmeals.com/features/swap-the-shake-for-a-greek-yogurt/
  • Greek yogurt is actually just plain yogurt with a portion of the whey strained out. Compare Oikos fat free plain yogurt to Oikos Greek yogurt and you will see that 1C of fat free plain has 23g of protein and 1C of Greek has 23g of protein. Whey from yogurt contains very little protein and is referred to as "acidic whey", but whey from cheese is referred to as "sweet whey" and this is what powdered protein suppliments are made from. So save some money and eat the plain yogurt.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Well I eat:
    1/4 kg of fage a day. It has 10c/0f/26p 143 cals

I also have:
    2 scoops of Hurricane XS. It has 20c/3f/30p 219 cals.

Fage seems to compare more than favourably if you're trying to avoid excessive carbs as well (I'm not, btw...).

I'm not sure how other brands compare to Fage macro-wise and also Hurricane XS is not really a low-carb p-shake, but greek yoghurt stands on it's own two feet, protein-wise if you eat a proper portion of it (I must also confess that I'd eat 1/2kg/day of it were it not for the cost...)