why gain while lost inches?

Options
I just finished week one and the scale went up, but my waist measurement went down by 2 inches... I worked my butt off this week, maybe I wasn't supposed to work so hard week 1? Any advice to share? I guess I'm conflicted as to what to do this coming week.

Replies

• JMeka
    JMeka Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing too. I went up 6 lbs but have lost a total of 5 inches all over.
  • mickburrows
    mickburrows Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me three!! Very disturbed.. Any words of wisdom would be great. I lost weight overall, but gained some back at the end of the week.
  • alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You gained muscle while losing fat. Give it a couple of weeks to even out.
  • intheflowers
    intheflowers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    it's probably some water retention, which causes the scale weight to go up. working out can cause that. but as long as you've lost some inches, you've probably lost fat. you're actually off to a good start!
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat!! The scale doesnt matter - its the inches that are important, that way you KNOW for a fact you look different! :)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    You gained muscle while losing fat. Give it a couple of weeks to even out.

you do not gain any significant muscle in one week.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    if you just started working out, chances are you are retaining water while your muscles repair ..
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You worked muscles, they're going to hold water to repair. That's the main reason the scale is evil. Keep looking at your measurements, NSV is still a win.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    1) Muscle does not "weigh more than fat". It is denser though.
    2) You won't gain any significant muscle in a week of working out.

Put it down to water retention - chances are if you've gone from zero exercise to lots of exercise, your muscles are doing some pretty intensive attempted-repair, which subsequently causes you to hold water. Chances are you've lost a couple of pounds.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    if you just started working out, chances are you are retaining water while your muscles repair ..

I agree !
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    What are you doing? Cardio, strength training, circuit training? If your measurements are accurate chances are you've lost some bodyfat, but the scale is up because you are retaining water
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    As your muscle is broken down and repairs itself it retains water....give it a few days and you'll likely see the scale drop accordingly. Muscle does not weigh more but is denser in nature-providing that lean look compared to bulging fat----more muscle is a better thing! That's why people should never be discouraged by weight gain when exercising heavily and on weight training. Especially for obese people, even cardio can cause an increase of muscle mass.....so all youre seeing is muscle mass and and water retention. Hormonal fluctuations can have something to do with it too. I've been on PMS week and plateaud all week until this morning. Hormones can cause all sorts of issues like water retention. don't despair! Go by how you feel-and that's BETTER! Can't beat that feeling!
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It's any number of things!! KEEP GOING DON'T STOP! FORGET THE BLASTED SCALE! Make sure you're eating at least your BMR to keep up with those workouts. Give it time. If you're losing inches, that's all the confirmation you need. Keep up the great work!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    When you do resistance workouts there are several results, and for fat loss resistance training holds some great benefits. What you can expect:
    1) Slower scale changes (this is the hardest mental hurdle for most)
    2) Greater inches lost
    3) muscle gain if you have excess fat to lose (not so much in leaner ppl on a cal deficit)
    4) greater ability for the muscle to store glycogen and water (meaning it holds more energy to heal itself)
    5) Better body composition which is where your real focus should be, a scale number means squat without taking body comp into consideration.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    It is normal to retain water the first week. Most likely all it is. Give it several more weeks for your body to make some changes :)
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You've obviously lost weight and gained some muscle. And if you've been working out a lot, your muscles are most likely holding on to water to repair themselves. Muscle is denser than fat so takes up less space in your body, ergo why you'll still lose inches and shrink in size, even if the scale says you haven't lost weight. I tend to concentrate on how my clothes fit, rather than the number on the scale because of this very reason.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    your body retains water and fluid around your muscles to repair them (hence why women think they're "bulking up" from lifting weights) so you're probably holding water weight, just make sure to keep yourself hydrated, stretch and give your muscles adequate amount of rest! You'll probably see some weight loss in a few weeks but if you're lifiting, it may not be much as your body composition switches over to more muscle (this will take a few weeks, even months though) but I would say as long as you're losing inches i wouldn't be as concerned with the number on the scale, you'll probably start to see some weight loss in a few weeks
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    While its true you would not have gained that much muscle in one week, there are a few different factors going on. When you train, you force your muscles to tear, this way, they repair themselves stronger and bigger than they were, its your bodies way of adapting to your new more physically strenuous lifestyle. These torn muscles retain a lot of water while they are repairing themselves... this is where the added weight comes from. Also, in most parts of the USA, its getting warmer! Your body automatically retains more water during this time of the year because you sweat more.... ever wonder why your rings fit tighter in the summer?

Anyway, this is for the most part whats probably going on. If you have lost inches, then there really is nothing to complain about. I know for me even, about 2 days before Aunt Flow comes to visit, I put on a few pounds as well.

The number on the scale is one of the many tools you can use to track your progress, if the scale is not moving, look at your inches. And after a weight session, make sure you hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more! :)
  • emom3boys
    emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's been mainly cardio - long power walks that left me breathless, Biggest Loser Calorie Knockout video (kickboxing, squats, weights, etc), Biggest Loser Power Walk video, walking the puppy, stationary bike... yes, my muscles have hurt everyday.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    muscle!!! its smaller than fat. you should be thrilled about the inches coming off, after all isn't this what really matters?so i say congratulations to you all :D