Smoking :(

Options
Ok, I have joined the Army, this obviously means that (at least for 9 weeks of basic training) I have to quit smoking. I figure if I cant smoke for 9 weeks, I may as well quit.. period.

However, this is proving difficult. I smoke a pack a day. I have 4 months until I ship out to basic, and I want to be as prepared for it as I can... meaning I need to quit ASAP.

Those of you that have quit... how did you do it? Especially without cramming candy in my mouth to replace cigarettes...

Replies

• coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    No takers?
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    This upcoming weekend, I'm buying one of those fake cigarettes.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It's all about setting your mind to quitting. If the mind isn't sure you won't make it.

I said a prayer daily, and said when I smoke the last one I won't buy anymore.

Guess what? I haven't.

It's been nearly 8 years.

You deserve a healthy LONG life.

Tell yourself this daily.

I watched my mom die painfully with cancer. Her last 14 days she wasn't able to eat or drink.

My Dad's lung cancer hit him, and he was gone in 4 months. That was after years of emphesema where he couldn't walk 10 feet without getting winded.

For quality of life and a future with your family, kick it to the curb!
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I tried the gum, patches, fake cigarettes, pills - still all in your head.

Don't waste time or money.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Patches are a lifesaver. The only method that works in my opinion. And chewing lots of regular (not nicotine) sugar free gum.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's "Easy Way" book. Read it. Worked for me and if not its only a few quid wasted. I've gone from 1 pack a day to nothing overnight and it was not that hard. That was 1 year ago.

You can do it.
  • coraliethomas
    Options
    Yeah, I tried the nicorette gum and lozenges and it just makes me feel ill... I will try just regular gum.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I used a patch for a couple days-- to get me through the worst. I loved smoking. I really didn't want to quit, but knew I had to. The patch got me through the first few days where the physical withdrawls are the wost. It helped break the habit as well. I didn't want to get addicted to the patch, either.

I smoked 1+ pack a day, not to mention the 1-2 bottles of wine I'd consume. Bad bad bad....

Good luck- you truly can do it. Sometimes it takes a few shots-- but the longer you don't smoke, the easier it gets.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've heard that drinking a lot of orange juice helps...something about the Vitamin C helps with cravings...but I would try gum/patch/etc.

Or you could just not do it, like I did. xD Save your money lol.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Willpower. I told myself no more and I haven't touched one ever since. (oct 2011) I used to smoke prolly 20-30 cigs a day. :wink:
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked but my partner did for years.

He tried many different things but cutting down to start with helps. See if you can cut down to half of what you would 'normally' have.

My partner smoked 20 a day and managed to cut down to 4 a day in a few days. At least then you'll be part the way there!

There are a few things on the market you can try like an 'electric cigarette' My partner still uses this NOW when he feels the urge. It look simular, lights up blue at the end and you breathe in steam. Sounds strange but worked for him.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Nicoderm CQ patches have the best reviews online so that's what I went with. Although generics are fine. Cold turkey sounds easy and cheap but the patches really help ease the side effects that come along with stopping smoking (mood swings, etc.).

edit* Patches definitely help initially because the beginning is the hardest part. Patches allow you to handle the hurdles of the physical addiction (hand to mouth motions, etc.) and mental addiction ("needing a cig").. and once you've made it over those critical steps you can finally ditch the patches and it is a LOT easier to get through the nicotine withdrawal.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Today's my first day giving up and I've spent all day munching on polo sugar free mints. I had a patch on earlier but it kept falling off so I've been using the nicorette spray as well.
  • coraliethomas
    Options
    Vitamin C huh... well that couldn't hurt... at least my immune system will be bolstered. Did you just quit cold turkey?
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I gave up nearly 6 years ago, patches for 2 weeks then just thought feck it, it was hard, I was a bag but best thing I ever did.

Your capacity for cardio will go thru the roof, you will not be ruled by an addiction and you wont stink.... I have just been with smokers and my oh my how it stinks.

Good luck, you wanna do it? Do it!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I havent read it but lots swear by the allan carr book.....
  • Presley0381
    Options
    I smoked for 14 years. Not a pack a day but probably a pack every other day. I hated it and loved it. But I was getting tired of it and tired of spending so much money. I was not someone who would smoke just anything because it was cheaper. I had to smoke Marlboro Reds. It wasn't until my girls started asking me to quit that I knew I had no other choice. So that was my New Year's Resolution last year. Jan. 4 to be exact. I just quit. Cold turkey. I honestly do not know how I did it either. It was hard but I had to be strong. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for smoking cessation programs in your area. Most of them are free, and they will provide some great support to you to quit. Don't give up.

I've lost 5 people in my family to smoking-related disease, and it's absolutely horrific what those stupid cigarettes do to your body. Nip it in the butt early, and live a long wonderful life for the people who love you.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    You can probably have all the replacements you want but they won't work unless you WANT to quit.

I've tried to quit 3 times previously using replacements, the final time I was so sick of smoking I have done it on my own.

You have absolutely got to want to do it. If you have the slightest doubt in your own mind you will always go back, even if you quit for a while.

Sorry if it sounds a harsh way to put it but I think for most people, it is true.
  • aki7chien
    aki7chien Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am a smoker too. I find when I keep my hands and mind busy I don't smoke all that much. Like when I am really engaged in a drawing or crafting project.

I have tried the electronic cigarettes, and they are not the same. They work good when traveling (flying) to get thru, but overall I don't like them.

From what my daughter told me about her experience with basic training (AF), I don't think you'll have much time to think about smoking. LOL!

Maybe if you can try just cutting back it won't be so dramatic when it comes to the day?

Good luck and thank you very much for your upcoming service!