Advice--Runner's Knee?

Options
slcostel
slcostel Posts: 116 Member
So I'm training for a marathon--my training stalled for a bit, and now I'm back. I can't get back to where I was, because I'm having a lot of lasting knee pain. This happened before, and I was told I was overtraining. Now I KNOW I'm not overtraining... I don't know what else to do.

I ice them after each run, I take Advil AFTER my run, and I just ordered new shoes to help with my overpronation.

Are there any other tips that I'm missing to fix this? I don't want a little bit (well, a moderate amount) of knee pain to keep me from reaching my goal.

Replies

• temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Go to a podiatrist, immediately.
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Go to a podiatrist, immediately.
    ^This. But have you tried a support bandage. I have weak ankles and a knee that's acting up from time to time. I use the bandages because my ligaments are too flexible and it limits their range. I also try to run only on bouncy grounds like earth or the running track (which has a sort of rubber [?] as a surface).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So I'm training for a marathon--my training stalled for a bit, and now I'm back. I can't get back to where I was, because I'm having a lot of lasting knee pain. This happened before, and I was told I was overtraining. Now I KNOW I'm not overtraining... I don't know what else to do.

I ice them after each run, I take Advil AFTER my run, and I just ordered new shoes to help with my overpronation.

Are there any other tips that I'm missing to fix this? I don't want a little bit (well, a moderate amount) of knee pain to keep me from reaching my goal.

Trying to ramp up a training program for a goal like a marathon is one of the most common ways to incur an overuse injury, which you almost certainly have.

There are a number of exercises you can do for the knee to help prevent this. You can try searching google or youtube for "patello femoral syndrome" and try those out, or you can go to a therapist. The latter is probably the best recommendation in this case.

It can be tricky to try and treat this type of injury and train at the same time--your training can consistently interfere with the treatment. It really depends on the severity of your tendinitis. A therapist can show you a taping technique that can help keep the kneecap in place while you are training and rehabbing. Or they can tell you directly if your training is making things worse.

Good luck--it's always a tough call when this happens.