Has anyone really overweight completed Insanity?

Options
I did the fit test today and I had to stop a lot :(
Has anyone been able to get through it and have good results?
I thought my cardio wasn't terrible, but I am no runner either.
I weigh 228lbs and 5'4.

Replies

• adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Dragonfly8142
    Dragonfly8142 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 185...and my husband and I are almost through week 2. He's in the military so his fitness level is way above mine, so I thought this DVD would be something he could do and I could try. I'm definitely a work-out beginner, but I just do the best I can...my best has to be better than not doing anything. The program is designed to cycle through again and again, so obviously they intended people to improve with each round. Good luck, and don't be intimidated by it...even the people on the video have to stop and take breaks...
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    if insanity is anything like the class im taking at my local gym right now you can do it you just have to modify what you do and take some breaks but stick with it. Im 220 5'6 and this class is a circuit training kinda like crossfit and i def cant keep up with everyone but i do what i can and i keep going. Its gotta produce some kind of results right?! Just stick with it woman! You can do this!
  • adioschubs
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I need to find my HRM to make sure I am not over exerting myself though for sure.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 8" started at 204...i was doing a bootcamp class for a month before i started insanity. I thought i was going to die when i did the fit test. I would say, and so would shaun t, to go at your own pace. I just finished week 3.... i still have tostop often during workouts but i am definitely seeing results. You have to stick with it and eat right! After i finish this first round i plan to do another one, because i have at least 30 more lbs to lose. I am 194 now.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I need to find my HRM to make sure I am not over exerting myself though for sure.

yes please dont push too hard going out at first....it is a tough workout, Even I have a hard time with it. Listen to what your bosy says and pace yourself :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight, but wanted to chime in because I also had to stop a lot more than I'm supposed to. The first day I thought I was going to die during the fit test. My boyfriend actually had to sit down and not do two of the exercises, and he's not overweight either. But we kept going and now we're in week three and it's getting easier for both of us. I still have to stop and rest a little more than usual, but I see a HUGE improvement in my endurance and abilities from the first week, so something is going right. You can do it!
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I looked at p90x and insanity. Decided to step back and go with the normal fat burn p90 not p90x. A few pros suggested that route as a way to ease into it and start with something that will keep my heart rate in the burn zone vs trying to keep slowing down the pace with something meant for those further along with fitness
  • TimmyTriedTooHard
    Options
    Me! I started at 370. I did/do some modifying mostly on the jumping for me to prevent ankle blowouts. I love it - it's the only workout that takes me back to the ole high school basketball practices.
  • f4bul0us
    f4bul0us Posts: 19
    Options
    Just go at your pace!! Maybe you will have some knee problems ( I had some and I weigh 130) Maybe buy some support for your knee. I would buy it if i'd do it again.

Insanity is a great program. you will do a lot of cardio but also body weight musculation. take your measurements before! :)
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Even though you have to stop alot you are still working and will improve. Just keep pushing through and you will get better and better. The people on the dvd's stop alot as well.....that is why it is called Insanity....because it is INSANE!!!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I looked at p90x and insanity. Decided to step back and go with the normal fat burn p90 not p90x. A few pros suggested that route as a way to ease into it and start with something that will keep my heart rate in the burn zone vs trying to keep slowing down the pace with something meant for those further along with fitness

yes P90 is a great way to start
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am a bigger woman too and I have tried it. Insanity is something you should work up to. Its very easy to overexert yourself trying to keep up with them. There is a reason the people on that DVD are very fit and some of them have to take breaks too.

Modify it to your skill level, take more frequent breaks and drink lots of water. Always use your HRM its easy to the get heart rate too high with High Intensity exercises.

I am not saying you cant do im saying be very careful its very easy to injure yourself.

Good luck!
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The good thing about insanity is you go at your own pace, shawn makes the pros take breaks as well . Its about proper form and doing the exercise correctly, stick it out and you will see great results and your cardio will go through the roof. It literally is insane and you do reside in a pool of your own sweat . but it's worth it!
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The good thing about insanity is you go at your own pace, shawn makes the pros take breaks as well . Its about proper form and doing the exercise correctly, stick it out and you will see great results and your cardio will go through the roof. It literally is insane and you do reside in a pool of your own sweat . but it's worth it!
  • rogarr
    rogarr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everyday on my first week of Insanity, when the workout was over id just lay there in the floor like a big ball of sweat. Everyday....Im about to start my fourth week of the first session now....and it is getting easier. Sure it does still hurt...and it still does make me feel like my heart is gonna pump right outta my chest. But Im still doing it.....and I will keep at it until Ive accomplished my goal !!

You can do it !!! :-)
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. I thought I would die after day two but have been through twelve days now and am loving it. Yes, A HRM would definitely be good because you can input age, weight, height, etc and it will let you know what percent of your max heart rate you are at. The first week I had bpm's of 185-190 throughout. But the body is amazing in how it adapts and the second week through it has come down about 15 bpm's for my peak and balance, stamina have dramatically improved.
    Just do your best and rest as you need it. Do not try to keep the same pace as the hard-bodies on the dvd. lol I figured that out pretty quick. Good luck and have a great time. You will thank yourself for it later.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/624293-insanity-updates-progress-new-group
  • adioschubs
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input :)
    My main worry is that I won't be able to do enough and burn what I am supposed to be burning in order to lose weight while following the nutritional guide.
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey I am afraid I am going to be a real downer here and tell you to ask your doc first. I didn't and now have multiple stress fractures across both my feet. They are taking months to heal while I try to figure out how to at least get in some exercise - I can't wait until I can just walk again.

Your doc may say go for it- I hope so!
  • adioschubs
    Options
    Hey I am afraid I am going to be a real downer here and tell you to ask your doc first. I didn't and now have multiple stress fractures across both my feet. They are taking months to heal while I try to figure out how to at least get in some exercise - I can't wait until I can just walk again.

Your doc may say go for it- I hope so!

My doctor kind of sucks unfortunately. Last year, I asked her for nutrition advice and she forgot about me..multiple times. How long were you doing insanity before that happened to you?