Still get definition with calorie deficit?

Options
Hello All,

Quick question, probably a bit stupid.

Will my muscles "tone-up"/see a difference is definition if I am eating at a slight calorie deficit?

Basically, I really don't want to gain size. I'm a shorter male with a pin head, and I look really weird when I'm too bulky. But I'm still looking to lose weight and drop some body-fat, so I know I should be doing strength training, especially since I don't have a large amount of weight to drop (about 10 pounds, 5% body fat).

Replies

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. There is a saying that the best way to look like you gained 10 pounds of muscle is to lose 10 pounds of fat. You need to have some muscle first before you can get definition, but you can have all the muscle in the world and if you are carrying too much body fat, you won't have definition. This is the whole 'powerlifter vs. bodybuilder' physique thing.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    "Definition" and "Tone" have little to nothing to do with muscle size and have everything to do with bodyfat levels. So, burning fat will give you more of that appearance.

But, to answer your question regarding eating at a deficit, the answer is yes and no. Eating at a calorie deficit *can* work toward that advantage, but only when you give your body the adequate balance of macro-nutrients (protein, carbs, fat) it needs to maintain those levels. There's a lot of debate and theory regarding this balance- some people believe a 40/40/20 P/C/F ratio works best, some swear by a low-carb approach. Since we all respond differently, I'd suggest experimenting with different ratios to find the best results for you.