Can I ask a gross question? (re: body odor....)

Options
2»

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Wow, 115 lbs lost. Congrats. A good sport deodorant may help.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I shower, and then slather on body lotion afterward.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I was using Lady Speed Stick.. I started to STINK BAD after exercise. I use Degree for Men now, I smell goooooood ;D
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    i have no answer but i can tell u that i feel like i always smell like garlic... maybe because i take garlic pills but i can't get rid of the smell ..people tell me im crazy but i swear i smell it lol
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi but I see people posting here about using deodorants that keep your dry. The way they do that is to use an aluminum derivative to stop you from sweating. There are multiple issues you may want to consider. One is the toxicity of the aluminum derivative. You skin is an absorbtive organ. Just how healthy do you think all that aluminum that is keeping dry is?

Secondly, you body is designed to sweat. It is natural and healty. Why would you short circuit this process? Sweat at the gym and use natural deodorant from companies like Tom's of Maine that do not have the toxic metals in them. Nothing wrong with a little sweat.

agree 100%
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Can you try to drink more water? Something that will flush you out.

This is a good point. It's possible that if you started working out and haven't upped your water intake, the waste products in your sweat are more concentrated and prone to stronger odor.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've heard many people emit an ammonia type smell when eating low carb.......
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had this problem with some gym gear I'd just bought. No matter how much I washed them, they still smelt awful. I read something online about soaking them in vinegar and thought I'd try it. Guess what... it worked perfectly. Now I do it all the time and haven't had a problem since.

Put stinky gym clothes in a bucket and fill with water. Add a cup or two of regular white vinegar and leave to soak overnight. Throw into the washing machine and wash again as per usual and the smell should have gone. No need for expensive detergents!

I do the same thing except I just put vinegar into the laundry machine. I only have to do it part of the year and not every load. But workout clothes will start to hold a smell, especially if you come home and throw them nice and wet into the laundry basket. You can buy expensive stuff to get the smell out but vinegar is cheap and works well (and your clothes do not smell like vinegar after)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't know how effective this is, but I don't wear deodorant when I work out. I just let myself sweat it all out and I feel like it gets all the toxins out. And drink lots of water.
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    Thanks all for the things to think about:)!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,974 Member
    Options
    Is this merely your perception or have other people noticed? Ask a good friend or spouse.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I had this problem with some gym gear I'd just bought. No matter how much I washed them, they still smelt awful. I read something online about soaking them in vinegar and thought I'd try it. Guess what... it worked perfectly. Now I do it all the time and haven't had a problem since.

Put stinky gym clothes in a bucket and fill with water. Add a cup or two of regular white vinegar and leave to soak overnight. Throw into the washing machine and wash again as per usual and the smell should have gone. No need for expensive detergents!

^^^^ great answer. Also, use some apple cider vinegar under your arms. It's bacteria that causes body odor and deoderant will not help that. While in the shower just take a cloth and rub the vinegar under your arms, wait a few minutes then rinse. The vinegar smell goes away pretty fast and you will be amazed at the results. I just wrote a long blog on the benefits of vinegar :)
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    So, I told my friend my dilema and she sniffed me;) She said I do not stink--good to know;).

I am almost certain it was my laundry soap. I do put vinegar in the machine and let it soak before I start the cycle so I thought that was enough. Switched detergents and it seems my problem is gone:) Glad it wasn't me;)!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    One thing that happened to me was our washer was a side loader, and the lady that used it before us used "essential oils" in it. I would wash a load of clothes, throw em in the dryer and they smelled clean. Later after wearing them for a little while or working up a sweat they would smell like dirty rotten gym socks. It didn't matter what kind of soap, or anything like that, something was wrong with that washer, tried running bleach through it and everything. Eventually the washer broke, we got a new one, haven't had a problem since, even with same clothes.

There's something buggy with our washer that makes clothes stink when they get wet. Towels and gym clothes (anything that got wet) would stink like cat pee and we don't have a cat. I bought one of those Downy balls (that opens in the spin cycle) and I put plain white vinegar in it. The clothes don't stink anymore.

Additionally, OP, take a look at what you're eating. Maybe there's a spice that you're processing funny? Has your diet changed that much? Have you recently come off all sugar and you body is adjusting?