Bike tire question - need help!

Options
I have a Diamond Back mountain bike I bought years ago, but the tires are flatter than my chest since I've lost some weight. I looked at filling the tires and getting back on the road.

Here's my question: the tires cannot be filled with a 'traditional' bike pump. The tires have some type of valve stem that doesn't work with the usual type of air hose.

Can anyone tell me what I need to fill the tires and start pedaling *kitten*?

Thank you in advance for any help or direction you give me.

Replies

• Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's probably a presta valve (narrower and thinner) the usual American valve is a schrader valve. They make presta/schrader adapters - google or all a bike shop
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It will be nice to get back on the road with this thing. I and my ergonomically correct seat thank you!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    most bicycle pumps (even cheap ones) usually come with an adapter.
  • Teresava77
    Teresava77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You may have to unscrew the end of the pump and turn it over to change the setting to presta depending in the type of pump.
  • jlebert716
    jlebert716 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Most presta to shraeder adapters are pretty bad, you get a lot of air leakage. I guess if you are using an air compressor it wont matter. I would just invest in a good pump.

Also if your tires are flat right now I would definitely check the tubes, you might just need new tubes (like $5 each) and you can buy schraeder valve ones and wouldnt need to worry about any of this other stuff.

Good Luck! I love biking!
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks, everyone! I realized that I haven't been on the bike for a few years, so I took it to a nearby bike shop for a tune up. I'm going to invest in good pump, thanks to you all.