Atkins Anyone?

Options
Hi everyone,

Is anyone doing the Atkins diet? If so, how's it going using this site?

Replies

• woozzie
    woozzie Posts: 1
    Options
    I've just started and am still trying to figure out how to adust the food log so I can limit the carbs to 20 per day - 5% is 15 and 10% is 30 - system wont allow anything inbetween
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins 7 years ago and was very successful with it. BUT I ALSO GAINED ALL OF IT BACK PLUS SOME!!!! I dropped weight quick but I felt terrible. By the end of the 2nd week I was having severe headaches and was close to passing out. My suggestion is to go easy on the carbs but your body does need them! Also, every person I know that did Atkins gained all of it back. It's just not healthy. That's just my opinion though. I've been watching my portions carefully on MFP and losing 2-3 lbs a week. Not huge losses, but I've also took off within 3 weeks what took me a year to put on. If you do want to change the settings though, go into my home/goals/custom. You can adjust there.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I also have AOL dial up so I might be a little behind the times...
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I do not mean to sound harsh or overly opinionated but I have been through this the hard way. There is something to be said about calories in/calories out but not all calories or foods are created equal. I think high animal protein and product diets like Atkins do more harm than good because they stress the liver with too many toxins to process. This keeps the liver too occupied with your dietary toxins to be able to burn your fat cells where most dietary toxins of food long eaten ago reside. When the liver is too busy then those toxins are transported to your fat cells. When things are too toxic it negatively affects your skin, energy level, overall wellbeing, etc and can cause headaches or worse. When you go the opposite route and limit the amounts of animal based foods then your liver 'allows' more fat cells to deplete their 'goods' because your diet is showing less need for toxin storage. What causes a low animal product diet to fail are excesses of nuts, oils, starches and grains. When they are controlled you lose fat. Especially with exercise of course. I used to think this was all goobledygook and brushed off the articles/ books etc. as nonsense until I tried it and found that it actually works. I have several relatives, friends and acquantances that have been on or are on an Atkins type diet and know of NO ONE who has achieved permanent fat loss and better overall health. When you feed your body the best absolute nutrition you can it will reward you with tremendous results very quickly.
  • hddeuce1966
    hddeuce1966 Posts: 104
    Options
    I tried it in January and February of this year. Within four weeks I felt AWFUL. I decided feeling bad was not worth it. Now I'm drinking protein and nutrition shakes and counting calories and not only do I feel great but the weight is coming off even faster. I hope it works for you, I really do, but it didn't for me.