Question about Bikes

Options
Mishy
Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously attached to my bike. It rained this weekend and I was unable to ride :grumble: so, I got to thinking - there has to be something out there that will hold my bike still so I can pedal inside when the weather isn't ideal, right?

The thing is - I have no idea what it is called and my attempts to find it via Google aren't going so well. I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
Mishy

Replies

• SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Try asking a bike shop!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    they are called indoor trainers. Here is a link to a site that has reviews of them. Larger sporting goods stores carry them.

http://bicycle-trainers.modernbike.com/?gclid=CNHYj6qrmZwCFQxM5QodwzaNfg

I'm with you - I love cycling. always have but I have really gotten into it lately.
  • Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    oooo if you find one, please post. I would love to have one as well.
  • anniejess85
    Options
    Hi Mishy. What you need is called a bike trainer. It will attach to the back of your bike, holding the back wheel up off of the floor, allowing the back wheel to spin. You will also need a block (or stack of books) to hold your front tire up slightly.

Most sporting goods stores, and specialized bike shops will either have these, or will be able to order one for you. They are a bit expensive, but sooo worth it! (especially in winter!)

Hope this helps
  • Mishy
    Options
    Thanks - you all are the best :flowerforyou:
  • shellygirl
    Options
    Yes I love my bike trainer! My hubby bought me one a couple of years ago--very good when the weather is bad. It's sturdy, I never feel like I'm gonna fall over, so no worries there. He bought it at a bike store. Good luck! Let us know how you like it! :D
  • Mishy
    Options
    I got this recommendation from a friend not on MFP and just thought I'd share it as well.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_200416_-1_200279_200329
  • Zephyr36608
    Options
    I would just like to have a bike for starters, but I can't find anything that my large hiney is comfey on and that includes the oversize padded seats you can get to replace the original..whatever happened to the banana seat of my childhood? They were MUCH better as your rump didn't hang off the back end!! :laugh:
  • Newman4AU
    Options
    It is a common misconception that the larger "oversized padded" seats are more comfortable. Go to a bike shop and have a bike fitted for you, specifically your inseam, reach, height, and type of riding you will be doing. The bigger the seat, the farther apart your legs are at the more severe the angle is out of the hips. That creates more "discomfort" then anything else. A good casual riding type bike can be the best exercise, and if set up correctly will bring you lots of pleasure for years to come. I ride about 125 miles per week, - less than five years ago I suffered a boken tail bone and crushed pelvis - so I know about discomfort when sitting - biking is a joy now that I have a fitted , real skinny racing "saddle" good luck!
  • Zephyr36608
    Options
    It is a common misconception that the larger "oversized padded" seats are more comfortable. Go to a bike shop and have a bike fitted for you, specifically your inseam, reach, height, and type of riding you will be doing. The bigger the seat, the farther apart your legs are at the more severe the angle is out of the hips. That creates more "discomfort" then anything else. A good casual riding type bike can be the best exercise, and if set up correctly will bring you lots of pleasure for years to come. I ride about 125 miles per week, - less than five years ago I suffered a boken tail bone and crushed pelvis - so I know about discomfort when sitting - biking is a joy now that I have a fitted , real skinny racing "saddle" good luck!

Thanks for the information! I think I will try just as you suggest! Wouldn't have thought it would make a difference to go to a 'bike shop' but since I do specialty shops for other stuff it really makes perfect sense! THANKS A TON!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Zephyr
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Another must-have if you are going to ride a trainer is a fan!!! I recommend a tall one. There is no breeze generated while riding a trainer...you will get very hot and sweat a lot! So put something under the bike unless you don't mind sweating all over your floor. Personally, I'd rather do just about anything than ride my trainer... B-O-R-I-N-G! But it's good for you. Have fun.
  • melkman
    melkman Posts: 12
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather do just about anything than ride my trainer... B-O-R-I-N-G! But it's good for you. Have fun.

+1 When I first started riding I got a trainer for when it rains. I can't stand doing it at all. I hate running but would much rather run than sit on the trainer. As long as its not a really bad storm, I just ride in the rain. You and the bike are ok if you get wet.