how many calories should you eat while breast feeding?

Options
My sister -in-law is constantly complaining that she has not lost weight since having her 3rd child.her baby is 9 months old and is being nursed 3 times per day.

I understand the post-baby weight struggles, but I find it irratating that she doesn't seem to put in any effort. In my opinion she is very lazy, I see regularly and she sits all the time and makes her kids get her pop.

Anyways!.. today she told me that the reason she can't lose the weight is because she is still breast feeding and that she was told to eat atleast 3500 calories daily.

It seemed very strange to me that it was such a high number.

I also chose to breastfeed my son for the first year and I found the weight came off, especially for the first 6 week even tho I wasn't exercising. I had gained 65 lbs, in in 6 weeks I had lost 30lbs. I lost the next 35 over 10 months simply by walking an hour a day withthe stroller and consummed 1200-2000 calories depending how hungry I felt.

Now keep in mind, I'm 5'6 and gave birth at 202 and my in-law is 5'10 and 240 lbs.

It just seems like she isn't putting in any effort and she says she's gained 15 lbssince giving birth.

She orders pizza and takeout atleast 2xs per week & only drinks pop, so I think this is the reason why she is gaining.

I'm I crazy to say 3500 is wayy too much?

I think some walking would make q world of difference also, but I just bite my tongue because obviously I don't have it all figured out.

I'm just tired of her complaints and laziness...

Replies

• yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes 3500 is WAY too much. Exclusively nursing requires 500 calories per day. But, that would also mean she was nursing 8-12 times per day. If the baby is eating baby food or being supplemented with formula and only nursing 3 times a day she is likely only burning 100-200 calories. I was told by my lactation consultant that a nursing mom should never net (calories eating-calories burned through excercise) below 1600 calories or she risks losing her milk supply.

Honestly it doesn't sound like she really cares that much about losing weight. She may say she wants to, but her actions don't reflect that. I would just let it go and not worry about what she eats since she is an adult and can take the initiative to change if she wants.

Also congrats on your weight loss. You were very fortunate to lose weight easily after you had a child. It is definately not so easy for a lot of women.
  • headlock_lynn
    headlock_lynn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh dear! First, I commend you on your concern it's clear you love your sister in law and are concerned for her. I can relate and feel that I am very much like her, which is how I came to be having these weight struggles now. I had 4 children and breastfed them all. Please don't think I'm blaming breast feeding, I'm not, I thoroughly support it but I DID IT WRONG. I too was lazy and ate as if I lived for food and used breastfeeding as an excuse to eat what I wanted when I wanted. (I love food) I breast fed without any problems but it was the eating more than I needed, not exercising (other than running after the children and a little walk daily). Now I am paying for it. I never did drink pop or soda as some call it so can't comment on that other than it's way high in calories and really puts the weight on. I did eat any leftovers from the kids plates. I was eating wrong, period. Too much, far more than the breastfeeding was taking off. So....after all this spiel, it's important to look after your eating habits and exercise even if you are breastfeeding. Make sure you are eating a healthy, well balanced diet and your child will be fine. Be sure to get enough exercise or you will end up flabby and overweight like me with all the inherent physical problems. (stiffness, sore joints, not being able to run, etc. etc.) It's a long road back and you can't reverse the clock.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I definitely do care about her health and if she wants to do it is support her. I just don't see her making any changes in her diet or exercise.

I gave her my old elliptical when I bought my treadmill on boxing day and it just sits in her basement. She says she needs to lose weight first so she can work out?! I kinda wish I still had it :grumble:

I've suggested in the past that she try to cut back on the take out or give up pop (in the past that's always helped me). I also regularly invite her to come o the park when I take my son and she usually says she's too tired, or she likes to drive there (its a 10 min. Walk from her house) and then she just sits while I play with our kids.

I've kinda given up on offering suggestions, but I feel like maybe if I had some correct info on how many calories she SHOULD aim for then maybe she could fit her diet into that.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    She doesn't have it figured out for the baby, either. She isn't eating properly for the baby to be getting the nutrients he/she needs. And what the baby DOES get, takes away from HER needs.
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options
    ^this. I definitely agree she needs to be eatting a better diet. I'm a big coffee person, but I limited myself to one cup per day while nursing because I didn't want the baby to get all that caffeine.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Did she ask you for advice?
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you're a nursing mom yourself, you've probably heard of kellymom.com. Great site with tons of resources and reputable information. They recommend, in most cases, nursing moms on a diet get around 1500-1800 calories per day. Here's a link if she's interested: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/#guidelines .

Unfortunately, I think weight loss and the development is a healthy lifestyle in general is something she is really going to have to want for herself before any of your efforts will make a difference.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    3500 calories is crazy. She only needs about 500 extra calories a day. You don't even need 3500 calories if you are pregnant!
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options
    Did she ask you for advice?

No, and I'm not her doctor so I haven't given any. I just would like to help if I think I could. I understand everyone is different and what I did or didn't do may not work for her. That's why I'm trying to get other mothers opinions on calorie intake.
  • eldowling
    eldowling Posts: 1
    Options
    My daughter is 2-1/2 months old and is only on breastmilk. I was advised by my doctor during my pregnancy and while breasfeeding to add 200-300 calories a day (about an apple and a table spoon of peanut butter). Breastfeeding burns about 500-750 calories. The added calories should be taking themselves off :)

Good luck!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    3500 calories is crazy. She only needs about 500 extra calories a day. You don't even need 3500 calories if you are pregnant!

how many calls do you need if your pregnant please.