Replies

• CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    *Bump to Save*
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I read some where that cutting carbs only causes you to lose water weight and not fat. Does anyone know if this is true?
    I've already lost 13 lbs lowering my carb intake and this info frightens me.

Of course it's not true. Unless I was just a gigantic ball of water :wink:

Get some low carb friends and watch us prove the jerks who refuse to read the science wrong!
  • waj_b
    waj_b Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I read some where that cutting carbs only causes you to lose water weight and not fat. Does anyone know if this is true?

Get some low carb friends and watch us prove the jerks who refuse to read the science wrong!

there is low carb and really low carb... eating a low carb diet makes you loose alot of weight in the first 7-14 days right? yes it is mainly water weight! your body is mainly water? remember?
    also more than say 4 low carb days in a row and your body stops the fat burning process.. hence if doing this you need to carb cycle.. basically jus have 1-2 days of carb load or 'cheat'
    low carb diets are not practical in the long run... your liein to yourself if you think they are.. if not, den your not LOW carb-ing it. low carb diets are beneficial for short term.. i.e. photoshoot/competition/special event etc. you will put the weight back on just as quick as you lost it.
    best fat loss method is just calorie deficit.. 15-20% MAX less calories than your maintance weight.. should loose 1-2lbs a week. theres no rush. this is more practical in the long run as your only reducing your calories a little bit and more towards normal.
    but most importantly make sure their is a healthy balance of your macros in your calories.. yes you can eat a donut but dont do it always.. and i see it as a waste of calories because then you have to eat less food for the rest of the day.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thought this study from a couple weeks back was relevant:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120626/all-calories-not-created-equal-study-suggests

"The testing confirms that they burned about 300 calories more a day when following the very-low-carb eating plan compared to the low-fat plan, and about 150 calories more on the low-glycemic index diet compared to the low-fat plan"

That's an extra 2.5lbs per month of extra calories burned from eating low-carb over low-fat.

That's the Harvard study, right? Didn't it also show that the low-carb had the most negative health impact?
    "The best diet from a metabolic perspective was the low-carbohydrate diet, but there were downsides," Ludwig says

Levels of the stress hormone cortisol and C-reactive protein -- an indicator of inflammation in the body -- were higher during the low-carb phase of the study.

"The metabolic benefits of this diet may be undermined by more inflammation and higher cortisol, both of which can increase [heart disease and stroke] risk over time," Ludwig says.

The results of the study pointed to a Low GI has the heatlhiest overall. Of course, it is just one study in a pool of many.

http://eatingacademy.com/books-and-articles/good-science-bad-interpretation

Have a look at this link. He explains the study in more detail shows what the CRP results actually were.

The truth is it was higher, but only very marginally (barely statistically significant) and still much lower than the baseline stats. However, the media spun it around like low-carb could kill you by raising inflammation, etc.

The study wasn't perfect but is very interesting nonetheless.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

there is low carb and really low carb... eating a low carb diet makes you loose alot of weight in the first 7-14 days right? yes it is mainly water weight! your body is mainly water? remember?
    also more than say 4 low carb days in a row and your body stops the fat burning process.. hence if doing this you need to carb cycle.. basically jus have 1-2 days of carb load or 'cheat'
    low carb diets are not practical in the long run... your liein to yourself if you think they are.. if not, den your not LOW carb-ing it. low carb diets are beneficial for short term.. i.e. photoshoot/competition/special event etc. you will put the weight back on just as quick as you lost it.
    best fat loss method is just calorie deficit.. 15-20% MAX less calories than your maintance weight.. should loose 1-2lbs a week. theres no rush. this is more practical in the long run as your only reducing your calories a little bit and more towards normal.
    but most importantly make sure their is a healthy balance of your macros in your calories.. yes you can eat a donut but dont do it always.. and i see it as a waste of calories because then you have to eat less food for the rest of the day.

Disagree completely and I've met way too many people who've had success and read too many studies that disprove the fact that low-carb is only beneficial for the short-term as you're insinuating.

There's no arguing that some or the majority of the weight loss in the first week or two is water, however, the weight does keep coming off afterwards and the body just simply does not store that much water.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thought this study from a couple weeks back was relevant:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120626/all-calories-not-created-equal-study-suggests

"The testing confirms that they burned about 300 calories more a day when following the very-low-carb eating plan compared to the low-fat plan, and about 150 calories more on the low-glycemic index diet compared to the low-fat plan"

That's an extra 2.5lbs per month of extra calories burned from eating low-carb over low-fat.

That's the Harvard study, right? Didn't it also show that the low-carb had the most negative health impact?
    "The best diet from a metabolic perspective was the low-carbohydrate diet, but there were downsides," Ludwig says

Levels of the stress hormone cortisol and C-reactive protein -- an indicator of inflammation in the body -- were higher during the low-carb phase of the study.

"The metabolic benefits of this diet may be undermined by more inflammation and higher cortisol, both of which can increase [heart disease and stroke] risk over time," Ludwig says.

The results of the study pointed to a Low GI has the heatlhiest overall. Of course, it is just one study in a pool of many.

http://eatingacademy.com/books-and-articles/good-science-bad-interpretation

Have a look at this link. He explains the study in more detail shows what the CRP results actually were.

The truth is it was higher, but only very marginally (barely statistically significant) and still much lower than the baseline stats. However, the media spun it around like low-carb could kill you by raising inflammation, etc.

The study wasn't perfect but is very interesting nonetheless.

Too much to read while at work but I'll try to check it out next week when I'm back from vacation. But I've read the synopsis by Dr. Ludwig. Hopefully whoever wrote this review, which I assume conflicts with his, at least gives some credentials or other reason that he is more credible.
  • waj_b
    waj_b Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Disagree completely and I've met way too many people who've had success and read too many studies that disprove the fact that low-carb is only beneficial for the short-term as you're insinuating.

There's no arguing that some or the majority of the weight loss in the first week or two is water, however, the weight does keep coming off afterwards and the body just simply does not store that much water.

the main point to consider was why hassel yourself with low carbs.. when calorie deficit works. low carbs can make your lethargic, moody etc etc. but hey... if you want to deprive yourself of carbs when theres no need.. then do so.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Too much to read while at work but I'll try to check it out next week when I'm back from vacation. But I've read the synopsis by Dr. Ludwig. Hopefully whoever wrote this review, which I assume conflicts with his, at least gives some credentials or other reason that he is more credible.
    The bad interpretation part of the title is referring to the media interpretation of the study. Specifically mentioned were the articles by USA Today, The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. It's a good article and the comments are worth reading as well, IMO.