Help! College student needs recipes!

AngieScooby
AngieScooby Posts: 4 Member
Hi everyone! I posted this in nutrition before, so I'm sorry if you saw this twice! I'm looking for some easy, healthy, and financially smart options for food to eat next year when school starts back up! I'll be in a room where there is a fridge and a stove top, so I will be able to cook meals. There is also an oven in the building too if needed!! I really want to make good choices when I get back to school so any progress that I make this summer won't go down the drain with cafeteria food!! If any of you know any good sites or recipes that can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much in advance!!

Replies

• my favorite thing to make is take a 6 oz frozen salmon fillet and put it in a pan on medium heat. once the salmon has started to cook you can cut it up with a spatula. when the salmon is just about finished cooking i add about 3/4 to a full cup of frozen vegetables to the pan and let them warm up when they are warm i usually add about 4 egg whites to the mixture for more protein, i dont think that would be totally necessary but whatever. you can then serve the mixture over lettuce or rice or just plain eat it like that. it is very good
  • Fried brown rice. It's just eggs, vegetables, brown rice, soy sauce and oyster sauce. The brown rice gets you fuller quicker and keeps you full for ages I find. I add teriyaki marinated chicken to mine to give it a yummy kick + some protein. It's about 200 cals and you can make it in batches big enough to sort you out for the week.
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    I have a lot of recipes and stuff here http://shana-z-says.blogspot.com/
  • ynotcycle
    ynotcycle Posts: 121 Member
    Grilled Halibut with Cilantro Garlic Butter, the Fish can be substituted. The Cilantro Garlic Butter is just to die for, and it's stupid easy to make! Tons of recipes on google for this one. It's fast, cheap and very rich
  • OhShitGetFit613
    OhShitGetFit613 Posts: 4 Member
    Quinoa! Cheap and filling and so versatile!
    Cook with 1/2 milk (I use sweetened vanilla almond milk), 1/2 water, cinnamon, nutmeg, & honey. add apples and a few spoonfuls of greek yogurt for breakfast!

Or cook with chicken or veggie stock & serve instead of rice! Also a great substitute for noodles in mac & cheese.
  • kayleepie
    kayleepie Posts: 26 Member
    I'm a uni student too. :)

Some of my favourite meals to cook are:

Individual pizzas using a wrap as a base, with lots of vegtables, a bit of ham and some low fat cheese.

Stir fries and curries with chicken breast, veg and a low cal sauce (just from a jar). I also like to add konjac noodles to the stir fries and mashed cauliflower to the curries because they're way lower in calories and carbs compared with noodles and rice.

Pureed vegetable soups. Just chuck whatever vegetables you have in a pot with some chicken stock, garlic and salt and blend it all up when everything is cooked. My favourite is broccoli and cauliflower.

Seafood marinara cooked with garlic and lemon juice. Actually, I think all kinds of seafood are great low calorie options.

Chicken salad wraps, sushi, all kinds of salads and lentil are good too. And those frozen diet meals can be pretty cheap sometimes when they're on special. They're great when you're only cooking for yourself. :)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    You can check out my blog if you'd like, it's on my page and it's not a private blog so you don't have to friend request to see it if you don't want to :) Low calorie, easy recipes!