Is it possible....

Options
to be too heavy to jog? I've really been trying to add it to my routine and jog a block, walk a block, back and forth for a mile a few times a week. I've been doing it for 3 weeks and I just don't seem to be able to add more jogging to my route. I just feel such jarring in my legs and hard time catching my breath. How heavy is too heavy to jog?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's a hard question to answer because everyone is different - you need to be guided by your body and if it isnt' making you feel good, maybe wait a while.

But, if you want to keep going with it, make sure you have good shoes (that might help with the jarring) and jog more slowly (that lets you run further without getting out of breath). A good bra makes you feel more comfortable too.

You might like to check out a running program like C25K or similar - they guide you through walk/run intervals and gradually increase the amount of running.

Of course, if you have real concerns, you doctor might be a good place to start.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I think it has more to do with stamina rather than weight. Once that increases, you'll be able to run further. Step up the speed in which you walk and jog in spurts. You'll find as you increase your endurance, you'll jog a little longer.

I don't know if that'll help any, but it did me. I'm jogging and walking faster, longer.
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    stamina maybe the answer, but I weigh 154 and I have knee problems when I run or jog. I also do Zumba 3 times a week and I have found that I have had to start wearing knee support braces, due to the pain in my knees. But i have heard the more you weigh the more stress you have on your joints too.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I started at 289 pounds. So, it's more a matter of taking it slow and getting in shape then poundage.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, yes I'm thinking maybe it's my stamina as well. Hopefully this summer I can proudly report I'm jogging the full mile!!! I'll keep at it!
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Are you running in good running shoes? They provide a cushion that helps. Do you have a high school track nearby? Today's tracks are rubberized so it makes it easier on the body. If there are synthetic (astro-turf) soccer or football fields that also works to cushion.

Remember concrete sidewalks are the hardest on the body, asphalt roads are next, trails are easy but watch for unevenness.

Also, be patient. Try to measure the jog/walk by time rather than distance. Run 30 sec. walk 30 sec., run 40 sec., walk 20 sec and so on. Move up to 1:00/1:00, 2:00/1:00, etc. Soon you will be running all the way.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    I think the answer has to be, if its hurting you more than the benefits then yes.
    If poss I would go down the elliptical trainer route.
    Its not just about dropping weight, but the body you have at the end.
    If you do hurt yourself your training could stall,, or stop.
    Play it safe unless you really are benefiting from your jogging. Its something you have to know.
    Walk and jog and see how it builds up.