HELP! I'm confused on the recommended protein intake

Options
Hi I'm just wondering what is the recommended protein intake? I know about the 1-1.5g but I have no idea if it is 1g per KILOGRAM of body weight or 1g per POUND of body weight. I've been researching this online but I only come up with these confusing info. I'm currently cutting but I don't want to lose my LBM, however I noticed that since I lowered my calorie intake to create a deficit, my protein intake also went as low as 60g or 0.5g/lb. of my bodyweight. I'm 5'2", weight playing between 118-120 lbs. (53.6-54.2 kilos). I don't know which of those two is more accurate.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it depends who you read......

This is from the Australian Institute of Sport (they are the elite sports training body, the ones who train people for national sports teams/Olympics etc). I guess their info is really aimed at elite athletes, but they give comparitive numbers for sedentary and moderately active people as well.
    Their numbers are grams of protein per kg of body weight.

Table 1: Estimated protein requirements for athletes

Group
    Protein intake (g/kg/day)
    Sedentary men and women
    0.8-1.0
    Elite male endurance athletes
    Moderate-intensity endurance athletes (a)
    Recreational endurance athletes (b)
    0.8-1.0
    Football, power sports
    1.4-1.7
    Resistance athletes (early training)
    1.5-1.7
    Resistance athletes (steady state)
    1.0-1.2
    Female athletes
    ~15% lower than male athletes

(a) Exercising approximately four to five times per week for 45-60 min
    (b) Exercising four to five times per week for 30 min at <55% VO2peak

Source: Burke and Deakin, Clinical Sports Nutrition, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill Australia Pty Ltd, 2006

The full article is here:
    http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/protein_-_how_much
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    To note though, the above are measured using nitrogen balance. That however does NOT cover amino absorption, in which case the RDA above should be seen as a starting point, not an optimal end point.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/proprejudice.htm
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found this from the American Dietetic Association (ADA)'s website, if you want a fairly neutral source:

Weight and body-focused sports 1.2 to 1.7 grams per kilogram 0.54 to 0.77 grams per pound
    Body-building 1.4 to 1.7 grams per kilogram 0.63 to 0.77 grams per pound

For average adults, I have heard 0.4 g/protein per pound of body weight, and increasing from there based on factors such as activity level, pregnancy/lactation, bodybuilding, etc. HTH!
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    Do NOT use ADA guidelines. They are WAY to low and you will lose much muscle mass during weight loss.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    To note though, the above are measured using nitrogen balance. That however does NOT cover amino absorption, in which case the RDA above should be seen as a starting point, not an optimal end point.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/proprejudice.htm

That's really interesting thanks - so the message is, use these numbers as a minimum.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i surpass 1g per pound of bodyweight each day, id be roughly 110lbs, and i get around 120-160g per day. BUT i am also eating 2600cal per day, so percentage wise this is not in excess. i think just keep your protein percentage at around 25% should be good! thats where mines at, i am a runner and lifter and would consider myself an athlete.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your info. I'm also working on to decrease my starchy carbs, I discovered they're the main culprits & probably why my protein intake is affected when in deficit.
  • PtBill
    PtBill Posts: 12
    Options
    Correct. Thats why you take your bodyweight in lbs and divide by 2.2 to convert it into kg. then you multiply by 0.8-1.7 depending on activity and training.
  • PtBill
    Options
    I get all my info through ACSM, ACE, MY COLLEGE AS WELL. So no false info coming from me. Any more protein then lbs/2.2x1.7 WILL be stored as body fat.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I remember from previous posts that you're PCOS- I hope I'm not overstepping by mentioning that- isn't higher protein the recommended diet for that?
  • PtBill
    Options
    I think it depends who you read......

This is from the Australian Institute of Sport (they are the elite sports training body, the ones who train people for national sports teams/Olympics etc). I guess their info is really aimed at elite athletes, but they give comparitive numbers for sedentary and moderately active people as well.
    Their numbers are grams of protein per kg of body weight.

Table 1: Estimated protein requirements for athletes

Group
    Protein intake (g/kg/day)
    Sedentary men and women
    0.8-1.0
    Elite male endurance athletes
    Moderate-intensity endurance athletes (a)
    Recreational endurance athletes (b)
    0.8-1.0
    Football, power sports
    1.4-1.7
    Resistance athletes (early training)
    1.5-1.7
    Resistance athletes (steady state)
    1.0-1.2
    Female athletes
    ~15% lower than male athletes

(a) Exercising approximately four to five times per week for 45-60 min
    (b) Exercising four to five times per week for 30 min at <55% VO2peak

Source: Burke and Deakin, Clinical Sports Nutrition, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill Australia Pty Ltd, 2006

The full article is here:
    http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/protein_-_how_much
    This is 100% accurate. I have the same reports in my studies.
  • stephraposo
    stephraposo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I read the skinny rules by bob Harper and he says half of your body weight (lbs) equals more or less the amount of g of protein you should it.
    Hid tip for a quick fix when you are in need of a snack is to have a basket filled with boiled eggs in the fridge. So when you're hungry it's easy and healthy, he says to eat the white (I think it's like 17 calories) because it's a good source of protein
  • PtBill
    Options
    Do NOT use ADA guidelines. They are WAY to low and you will lose much muscle mass during weight loss.
    Where are you getting this information? I would really like to see the case studies performed. I hope not some fitness magazine at Walmart or GNC.