What's your biggest motivator (positive reinforcement)?

Options
I've found that becoming healthier can result in various forms of positive reinforcement.

Some examples I've thought of are (feel free to mention others if there's another factor that's more important to you):
Seeing your scale weight drop
Changing clothes sizes/feeling your clothes loser
Seeing changes to your body (more definition, etc...)
Reinforcement from others ("I don't even recognize you", etc...)
Being able to exercise harder/longer
Just "feeling better"

For me, I think my greatest positive reinforcement comes from changing of clothes sizes. Although, it's a double edged sword because I've had to spend a lot on "intermediate" clothes. I would say second is reinforcement from others (but genuine, not when just a courtesy)-for example I was with someone today and ran into someone we both knew and I talked to about 9 months ago, but I could tell he didn't really know who I was. Then I heard him whisper "who is that" to the person I was with, and then I just heard "Oh my god!"

So what are your biggest forms of positive reinforcement?

Replies

• Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like looking at my progress photos and seeing how my clothes hang off of my body. Let's hope I get to a six-pack one day.

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me, most of the positive reinforcement comes from the fitness element of my journey. My little brother is very fit (naturally that way, though he does spend a lot of time in the gym because he likes to), and when he is impressed by the progress I've made in my workouts, that feels pretty good! The positive feedback from my trainer - on my strength and fitness progress, on my dedication/attitude, or on the changes in my physique - are also great motivators.

I'm also enjoying the fact that a pair of jeans that I couldn't get on in March are now (literally!) falling off when I wear them. :)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    overweight mean mil
    my bf
    kids
    crystal and heiley
    other mfp friends
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Definitely the scale and clothing sizes.
  • ccguillory
    ccguillory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hearing my husband compliment me and my clothes getting looser. Fitting into my bathing suit is a lot nicer too. :)

But actually loosing and feeling like I'm getting my health back.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    How well I do in the races I enter.
  • angelam82
    angelam82 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im only just getting started, but I try to picture my mum when things start to go pear shaped. She told me to spend the money on the gym etc rather then buying her a mothers day present - she wants me to be happy and healthy. I also want to fit in the lingerie that my husband bought me a few years ago and i have never had the confidence to fit into. I also have a size 10 skirt from work. Currently im in a 16.

Ill be excited the day i can do a full set of shoulder lifts without having to stop half way through.