10,000 Steps

Options
juliekin
juliekin Posts: 139 Member
I try to walk 10,000 steps a day. Does that count as exercise or just what I should be doing normally? In other words, should I log this? If so, how? Thanks for any input.

Replies

• Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 10,000 steps a day in as well. I think it's more what you should be doing everyday. Do you have a fitbit?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It's something you should be aiming for as part of your everyday health. Not as exercise. If I remember I put them in my exercise notes but I don't log them to eat them.
  • juliekin
    Options
    No, I have an pedometer. I've checked my route against other trackers and it's pretty accurate. Why do you ask.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you said your activity level was when setting your goals. if you took into account that much activity, then it's already in there. If you based it on your activity before you started adding steps, then the steps are additional exercise, and you should count them as exercise.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is awesome for tracking steps.......I usually average 7000 and I'm working on getting more during the day........my Fitbit calculates this into my exercise on MFP for the day........
  • obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on how many steps you do on average usually, and then how many extra you had to do to reach the 10000. Your activity level setting is going to take into account a certain amount of steps and you really shouldn't count those twice...
  • juliekin
    Options
    Lately I've tried to exercise and not log the 10,000 steps, and my setting is at sedentary.

Sometimes I need to go out and do 4000 steps at the end of the day or go out with friends for 5,000 miles.
  • page58689
    page58689 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would track this as exercise if u walk for more than 5 mins at a time. I wouldnt track every step like to the bathroom and stuff around the house cuz ur heart rate doesnt really stay up for more than a few seconds at a time. Sounds like a great goal though and the devices that check ur steps are great motivation and a constant reminder of your health every minute of the day.