How do you motivate yourself for gym?

When I started this journey about 2 - 3 months ago, I was so motivated I exercised as regularly as I could, spent hours reading through the MFP forums and even made a "thinspiration" folder for myself on my desktop to look at when I'm being lazy.
After 3 weeks of intense revision for exams (therefore hardly any healthy eating + exercise) I can't seem to put my mind back to where it was. I can't motivate myself to go to the gym, eat healthy and I've lost interest in going on the forums. My willpower to say no to unhealthy food has gone too.

How do you guys motivate yourself to stay on track? (especially to go to the gym)

Replies

• BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    The price of that year membership motivates me partly, I feel like I have wasted the money if I do not go.
    I do take time off from the gym (when injury free) and cycle, jog and swim...
    that means when I do hit the gym I am refreshed.
    I go to the gym about 3 to 6 times a week depending on weather and domestic stuff.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I remember about my diabetes. I had type II. I was taking a bunch of meds for it on top of high blood pressure, cholesterol and a beta blocker for my heart. As I improved and stayed active and ate better my doctor said I was improving and began weaning me off my meds. After I lost 100 lbs. I reversed the diabetes and no longer have it and was off all the meds I was taking. I only take Lovaza which is a prescription strength fish oil pill. I can easily become diabetic again if I slack off and go back to my old habits so I go. Plus I enjoy it. (crazy I know :tongue: )
  • kymdarnell
    kymdarnell Posts: 101
    i think about that awesome feeling i get when i have done my workout :-)
  • angelam82
    angelam82 Posts: 61 Member
    For me personally, if i am planning on going after work, I have to get changed at work and go straight there. If I go home then gym, I'll just stay at home. On a saturday, there is a stretch and strength class at 10.30 and I like to get a workout in before, so ill get up early and go.

In saying all of this, I haven't been for 2 weeks as I am in the midst of exam study and just get in a stressed hermit zone at these times and I dont go anywhere! Last exam will be done on thursday.
  • Bub1971
    Bub1971 Posts: 106 Member
    I watch ROCKY lol.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Eventually feeling confident in myself and how I look motivates me. Plus kick *kitten* music!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    i go seven times a week...now that i feel and look fitter, thats what motivates me..the great feeling after the ' get up and go' feeling...i go every morning at 7am..then my day starts with a bang. love it. good luck. x
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    When I started this journey about 2 - 3 months ago, I was so motivated I exercised as regularly as I could, spent hours reading through the MFP forums and even made a "thinspiration" folder for myself on my desktop to look at when I'm being lazy.
    After 3 weeks of intense revision for exams (therefore hardly any healthy eating + exercise) I can't seem to put my mind back to where it was. I can't motivate myself to go to the gym, eat healthy and I've lost interest in going on the forums. My willpower to say no to unhealthy food has gone too.

How do you guys motivate yourself to stay on track? (especially to go to the gym)

I take a pre workout energy drink, its low in calories and carbs and has decent protein but the main benefit is it gets me mentally pumped i take it 30 - 45 mins before a workout and i'm raring to go even on the laziest of days.

Plus getting over the mental guilt of not going for a while is always a big step id start but just going down there and build yourself back up, maybe take a class something to commit to to make sure you go?
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    I read through some of the success stories on MFP, that really motivates me to get off my but :bigsmile:
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    I felt myself slipping....and I am a newer runner..still doing walk/run...just finished my first half marathon in May. Yesterday, I signed up for my second half for September that will keep me going whether I want to or not....
    Can you find a workout buddy? If you have to meet them at the gym that would help you get to the gym too.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    I do something I love. My workout of choice, the one I love more than anything - is BODY ATTACK. I could do it 7 days a week (in fact I do it 2 mornings a week at 6am, thats saying something!!).

Find something you love. It makes it all the more worthwhile. When you love it, its easy. When its easy, its awesome. When its awesome, its success.

Just do it!
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    I only started 2 weeks ago but my current goal is to go to the Gym a minimum of 3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri).

FIRST thing in the morning before work is best for me
    - if I try to go after work it just gives me all day to think up excuses not to go.

Better to spend the rest of the day being pleased with myself for having 'ticked that off the list'
    ...instead of dreading going!

Hope that helps!
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    I dont go to the gym. I feel even though your trying to get healthy n taking it there people are still gonna be judgmental, plus boring. I force myself., even on the days I dont feel like doing it. I also do fun things. I play kinect, I play basketball when I can, I just try to make it fun plus I clean a lot n that burns too. I find ways to get me motivated. Just be fun about it. When we think of working out as chores of course your gonna avoid it as much as possible. The eating healthy thing, well, treat yourself once in awhile as a reward, I also came up with another reward system is "burning is earning". Working out gives you more cal points, thus you can eat more. :)
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    I get naked and look in the mirror. Yeah that doesnt take long before I think, yep Im going now.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Don't try doing it all at once. Getting back into it one step at a time will make you feel less overwhelmed.

Maybe broaden your thinking a bit. If you're not feeling the gym, is there some other physical activity you would enjoy? Swimming? Hoola-hooping?
  • Jeff0416
    Jeff0416 Posts: 14 Member
    I remember my gut hanging out over those size 38 blue jeans. I remember wearing my shirt tail out to hide this condition. I look at my size 31 blue jeans now and enjoy the thought of maybe it is time to try on a pair of size 30 jeans.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    I play Jenna Maroney's (30 Rock) song, "Muffin Top" in my head. If I do any less than 4 days a week, I know I will bloat, and my cute new jeans will have a nice muffin topper on it!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    i think about that awesome feeling i get when i have done my workout :-)

^^^ This! ^^^ :bigsmile:
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Just make yourself go. I do the same thing. I'm all motivated and I go and enjoy it and am all inspired...then life happens and I miss a day or two or a week and I find it overwhelming to go back, but once you get over the first time or two it's easy again....you just have to force yourself the first time back! :-)
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    I tell myself I'll go and do 20 momites and if I'm really not enjoying it I'll stop and come home.

9 times out of 10 by the time I get to 20 minutes I'm into it and usually stay for longer and complete a workout.