For those who've done/are doing/want to do the couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• Jencogneeto
    Jencogneeto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to restart this. I did the first 2 weeks awhile back, then slacked off. Shame on me.

For those that want alternate playlists, and don't have a smartphone (like me), there's a website that has different lists posted for each week that you can download. http://www.c25kplaylists.com/4801.html

If anyone wants to add me, feel free. And how are y'all tracking this? I still haven't figured out a good way.

I'm shooting for the Austin Zombie run in December! :)
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have done/am doing this program, although I hurt my foot about 2 weeks ago so I haven't done it in two weeks. :-(

A little background - I started when I weighed 330 lbs. As you can imagine, I could not keep up with the program as written. I had to repeat weeks many times over. In fact, I did Week 1 five times before I could move on to week 2.

It's a great program and as I can attest that you don't need to be a good runner or even fit to do this program. And if you finish week 1 and you're like, no way can I do week 2 yet, doing week 1 again is fine. In fact, most of the people I know who've done it, no matter what weight they are, have repeated week 1 at least once.

I lost 33 lbs and completed my first 5K in April. I'm a big fan of coucn to 5k :-)
  • welsh_lass86
    welsh_lass86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi I've sent you a friend request. I'm on week 4 atm. Its no where near as hard as it looks when your first starting. Just take it slowly, repeat weeks when need be and before long you'll be amazed at how long your running for. Good Luck :wink:
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. I did it last year and I'm actually thinking of doing it again to switch things up. You can do searches online for free podcasts that have music and queues. They are great!
  • JessicaCBranch
    JessicaCBranch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've heard about it.....just looked it up and printed it off, let's do it! Sending FR now...
  • fitchic1969
    fitchic1969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to posting on this site, so if i'm not doing it right, please advise. Anyway, I'm looking for advice/encouragment regarding the c25k program. Running a 5k is a 'private' goal of mine. I say private because I'm afraid to tell anyone because I'm not confident in my ability to follow through. I have been working out reguarly 2-4 times a week for over a year now, and my strength and ability have increased, but I am sill about 100lb overweight. Even though I run in short bursts while working out, I'm very intimidated about the c25k. Have any of you started the program while still overweight, or did you wait until your weight had come down considerably first?
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've heard about it.....just looked it up and printed it off, let's do it! Sending FR now...

Please send me one too, thx.
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    week two here.. please add me
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    the worst thing about it is the music!! lol :bigsmile:
    Good luck x

I use the runkeeper app. You can set up your own routine in it. I set it up to tell me when to run and when to walk for the intervals. It even includes a 5 min warmup and cool down if you want. It lets you use your own playlist on your phone. It also tracks your pace for each interval, tracks a map based on GPS, and records your total distance and estimates your calories. (For me it undershot my HRM by 50-75 calories)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm on W3D2 (tomorrow). So far so good! Although I AM nervous about next week. I've NEVER run for 5 minutes at a crack before! Heck, what am I talking about...I've never run for ANY amout of time before!!
  • thefreebiemom
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to posting on this site, so if i'm not doing it right, please advise. Anyway, I'm looking for advice/encouragment regarding the c25k program. Running a 5k is a 'private' goal of mine. I say private because I'm afraid to tell anyone because I'm not confident in my ability to follow through. I have been working out reguarly 2-4 times a week for over a year now, and my strength and ability have increased, but I am sill about 100lb overweight. Even though I run in short bursts while working out, I'm very intimidated about the c25k. Have any of you started the program while still overweight, or did you wait until your weight had come down considerably first?

I'm overweight by 100lbs and just started week 1 yesterday. I have seen lots of people on here who are overweight and have done it and been fine. But there are people who have had bad or painful experiences too. Just listen to your body.
  • thefreebiemom
    Options
    I just started this. Anyone can add me!!! Now I just need to go to a running store and get good shoes because I am used to hiking on dirt/mountain trails and the place I'm running is cement and it hurt my shins before I even got done with the 5 minute warmup walk. :(
  • SmallBodyBigHeart
    Options
    BUMP
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Is there a C25K support group ? Is this it ? I am feeling like week 1 may last a little while
  • dfstaley
    dfstaley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my first post and I think I't great that so many folks are trying the Couch to 5K program. In my area we have the "No Boundaries" program or NoBo. I am a pace group leader for either the walkers or the slowest run/walkers. Graduates then have the opportunity to join the Jeff Galloway Program which trains you to do a Half Marathon. Hardly anyone runs continually. Most of us jog for 30 or 60 seconds, then walk for 30 or 60 seconds. Different muscles are used when you switch back and forth, allowing some time for recovery. Running every Saturday morning with the same people allows time to chitchat and make close friends. After 5-6 years I still walk or run with the people I met in my first group. I'm 68 years old and I'm not fast, but I often get medals because there are so few people my age running...but I'm having a blast! Keep at it everyone, you deserve to be healthy!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm on the end of Week 2, and it's pretty fun and easy to begin with... but it's getting tough now. My body is protesting against the 90-100 second run intervals now.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Im starting it tomorrow!:) feel free to add me as well:)
  • FatSlayer1016
    FatSlayer1016 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey guys and gals!

I just downloaded an app to my ipod for c25k and really want to start (and finish of course) the program, but I am one of those people who always gets excited about something when it is new, and then the motivation fizzles out with the excitement. Is there anyone out there who is willing to friend me and literally ride my *kitten* to make sure that I follow through? I have a fair amounts of friends that complement me on eating well, but I need excercise buddies that can moticate me, and vice versa!!

To all of you out there doing this program, good for you and the best of luck. I love to read success stories and can't wait to see more!!!!!!
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to motivate myself to do this program. Now that I see this thread I just have to join everyone and have my own success story! Saturday will be Day1 Week 1 and I'm dragging my 16 year old with me!!!

Feel free to add me as a friend! I'll need some support and a swift kick in the *kitten* :wink:
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for all the people who are starting it this week! For all those who've added me, I am going to bug you about making sure you get your days in! Be prepared! Haha