Calories burned lower, fat burn higher? Freak of nature?

Options
I've noticed that my calories burned during my workouts are decreasing.

This morning was an example. I hopped on the treadmill for the same 30 minutes I try to do before work in the morning. I only burned 132 calories, but my fat burn was 51%. The calories seem to be decreasing, but the fat burn keeps getting higher.

I see people on this site that are burning 1200 calories in an hour or hour and a half. Why am I not one of them?

I feel like an underachiever!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/answers you can give me.

Replies

• tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh, the more energy required to move.

If you calculate the burn for a 300-pound person walking 3 m.p.h. for ten minutes, it will be greater than the burn for a 200-pound person walking at the same rate for the same duration.

Also, the less fat you have to burn, the higher percentage of it gets burned when you do a similar workout.

4 ounces is 2.5% of ten pounds but 5% of five pounds.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Math is definitely not my forte. It's been frustrating to see that the time I spend working out seems to be less effective, but if it means that I'm healthier than I was, I can accept that.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Part of that is that the more you do a particular workout the more efficient your body becomes at that particular workout. This then causes your body to work less to perform the same tasks, mixing up your workout will keep your body off balance so to speak and help with maximizing your calorie burn.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    You need to progressively increase your intensity as you become more fit to continue getting the same benefits of the exercise.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Lower heart rate.