Hello from Phoenix...

ASUdevilFAN
ASUdevilFAN Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Firstly, I find it odd that I am even 'introducing' myself! Not really my thing, but everyone seems so friendly and supportive, I'm gonna give this my all.

I found this site by accident, but am totally loving it! I am 30 years old, with an athletic build, but overweight and uncomortable. I will never be skinny, however, I would LOVE to be able to shop for clothes at any normal store! And preferably not in the Women's or Plus size section!! I think I am realistic about my goals, and definitely up for a challenge.

I have experienced some weight loss with other programs, but over the years the weight just slowly creeps back. I would like to make more of a lifestyle change, and also look forward to exercising regularly!

Any tips and feedback is welcome, and appreciated!!

Best of luck to everyone else out there as well. I look forward to starting this journey :-)

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Hi. Welcome to MFP. Tips? Eat all of your calories, and eat the calories you burn off through exercise. Be happy with a 1 or 2 pound weight loss each week...slow and steady. Don't beat yourself up if you overeat, binge or give in to a craving- we all do it once in a while. Don't use it as an excuse to give up. Each meal is a new chance to eat healthy. Lastly, MFP works, so follow the guidelines here, log everything, and you will definitely lose weight.
  • sjhnny
    sjhnny Posts: 9
    Hi from Phx as well! This site is a great resource for keeping track of what you eat! Knowing is half the battle right? I am a new mom who is taking a bootcamp fitness class. It is intense, but I am hoping to lose lb and inches! I have been using MFP for about a year or so.
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Hi and welcome!
    Basically this site should give you the tools neede to make a life style/lifetime change in your eating habits. Lots of good information shared, tips and encouragement. I don't have a support system other than this MFP. I :heart: friends! MFP daily journaling shows you where your calories are going wrong, if they are. Keep yourself accountable and honest. Drink lots of water. Have fun and enjoy life!
  • thanks everyone! I appreciate it :-)

I am always tempted to try a fitness bootcamp! How do you like it? They are always really expensive or just do not work with my schedule...I keep looking for something though. I think something like that will force me to start out strong, then when I complete it, the rest will seem more attainable if I have 'suffered' through bootcamp!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    thanks everyone! I appreciate it :-)

I am always tempted to try a fitness bootcamp! How do you like it? They are always really expensive or just do not work with my schedule...I keep looking for something though. I think something like that will force me to start out strong, then when I complete it, the rest will seem more attainable if I have 'suffered' through bootcamp!

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As for exercise, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    I am also 30 and from the Phoenix area. I have become borderline addicted to this site. You get out of it what you put in. There is a lot of really good information on here. Welcome and good luck!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome, you will love it here if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that I wish that you have great success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Exactly, after you have suffered through bootcamp everything seems easy. It really changes your mental and physical definition of a workout. It's like you are hating life for that 1 hour, but afterwards you feel SO good, so empowered and so healthy! The one I took was near the PV mall area, 6 weeks long, 2x a week and runs about 100-150 depending on the current specials. I lost 5# and 15" though, so it was worth it!. It was a far drive, so now that it ended I have joined a gym closer to my house on the west side of town. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info about it. Good luck and I hope you are chuggin along!
  • Hi! I have lost 16.2 pounds and have done many "changes" in my life :laugh: Welcome and jump right in. I stop eating at 8:00 pm (2-3 hours before I go to bed). I went from a SIZE 14 to a SIZE 8. I began my exercise regimen in January when I weighed 189.5 pounds. I now weigh 172.8 pounds and have 6.8 pounds to go in order to meet my goal. Blessings!
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Welcome!! We are so glad you are here! Remember you can DO ANYTHING!!
    ~BobbieJo
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Welcome! I'm also from Phoenix (Avondale actually)... found this site a few months ago when searching for a calorie calculator. Been here for a couple months now and have lost 20 lbs with help of this site and all the wonderful people on it. I never thought I could do it, but now I see anything is possible!

You will love it here!! Good luck to you on your journey. If you have any questions or need someone to chat with I'm here :happy: :flowerforyou:

And here's to the cooler temps coming soon! :drinker: :drinker:
  • LIZA: Before I'm "gone for the day" I wanted to say congrats for being SMOKE FREE!!:heart:
This discussion has been closed.