Looking for anyone on the blood type diet or genotype diet

Options
kateland
kateland Posts: 160 Member
Hi all, looking for support with folks following Dr. D'Adamo's Eat Right 4 Your Type series. I'm an A+ with an O+ husband, and am pregnant with a little girl. I want to follow this diet more closely to control weight gain and improve my health and need some like-minded folks to share with. Thanks!

Replies

• kateland
    Options
    well that is a big fat zero...LOL
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've read about it and wanted to try it, as I have a friend who has had success with it, but idk my blood type, and never remember to ask. Maybe bumped, someone will reply?
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    How does it work
  • alannelson
    alannelson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. Based off of naturopathic "vital energy" and a lack of real peer reviewed science. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet#Scientific_criticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_blood_type_theory_of_personality
  • kateland
    Options
    alannelson - I wasn't asking your opinion of whether it worked. It DOES work for me and thousands of others who post testimonials of improvements to their health. It has nothing to do with "Energy" and everything to do with irrefutable scientific study on the chemical interaction of food lectins and blood type antigens.

Try reading anything from Dr. D's body of work and decide for yourself instead of quoting an inconsistently cited group-sourced website. That is intellectual laziness.

But since you clearly have no idea how this diet works, I will enlighten you. Here is the basic premise: Continuing the work of his father, Dr. D'Adamo has proven/found tendencies of certain blood types to react to certain foods in certain ways. For example, as a blood type A, I don't have as much stomach acid as a blood type O. When As digest red meat, they can't, and as a result, the body coats it and tries to push it through the colon, stores it as fat, and causes gastric distress and lethargy. When Os eat meat, their high stomach acid uses red meat as fuel and does NOT store it as fat. These are observed reactions, which has nothing to do with Japan or energy. Clinically, I have seen this to be true for myself and my husband, when I stopped eating red meat my gastric issues halted within days and my energy went insane. When my husband (blood type O) eats meat he is equally energized. Two people, eating the same food, reacting differently. it's not magic, there is a reason. The common theme in some cases seems to be genetic. Blood type related. Race related. Biological. this is the question being investigated.

The blood type diet emphasizes the TENDENCY (majority) of these reactions but not the CONSISTENCY of these reactions. Some blood type As react negatively to tomatoes, and others derive benefit from it. That was 1990's. He has since conducted more research and refined the BTD into a Genotype diet that is far more individualized. It's actually fascinating if you take the time to follow his curiosity to use food to heal people, rooted in research and clinical observation.

Finally, Wikipedia is as scientific and "real" as a source of information as reading tea leaves. Check your "facts" before you drop a nasty comment. Thank you.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Wow.... i seem to learn something new everyday... i didnt know that your blood type had a specific diet to follow! If it works giver a try. Good luck and congrats!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I tried it in the past, but I wasn't convinced that there was enough value (or point) in it to make it worth cutting out so many foods.
    Frankly it just wasn't sustainable. Eating a variety of foods at a moderate calorie deficit is what has been effective and sustainable for me.
    More importantly, as you are pregnant, have you discussed it with your doctor?
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    alannelson - I wasn't asking your opinion of whether it worked. It DOES work for me and thousands of others who post testimonials of improvements to their health. It has nothing to do with "Energy" and everything to do with irrefutable scientific study on the chemical interaction of food lectins and blood type antigens.

Try reading anything from Dr. D's body of work and decide for yourself instead of quoting an inconsistently cited group-sourced website. That is intellectual laziness.

But since you clearly have no idea how this diet works, I will enlighten you. Here is the basic premise: ....

...Finally, Wikipedia is as scientific and "real" as a source of information as reading tea leaves. Check your "facts" before you drop a nasty comment. Thank you.

Well stated! written, whatever you get my meaning. :D

It's interesting, let me know how it works for you. I'm with Rubybelle, is it sustainable...
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. Based off of naturopathic "vital energy" and a lack of real peer reviewed science. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet#Scientific_criticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_blood_type_theory_of_personality

^THIS

I doubt it has anything to do with blood type, but rather eating sensibly.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Interesting....just Google it and read about my blood type. I'm AB-, and according to Dr. Dr I'm in trouble. Maybe someday I' can try this but right now while I am cooking for me and my family, DH does not like fish very much, this isn't going to work.

"Type AB should avoid caffeine and alcohol, especially when you’re in stressful situations. Dr. D’Adamo recommends that Type AB focus on foods such as tofu, seafood, dairy and green vegetables if you are trying to lose weight. “Avoid all smoked or cured meats. These foods can cause stomach cancer in people with low levels of stomach acid,” recommends Dr. D’Adamo. There is a wide variety of seafood for Type AB, and it is an excellent source of protein for Type AB. A few highly beneficial fish are mahi-mahi, red snapper, salmon, sardines, and tuna.. Some dairy is also beneficial for Type AB – especially cultured dairy such as Yogurt and kefir. "
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I have been on the blood type diet in the past and about to get on it again. It really is a lifestyle change no a "diet", just like everything else!

People who haven't even tried it, cannot say it doesn't work! Again that's with anything!

This "diet" made me have more energy, my skin cleared, and other symptoms I was having were completely gone. I am O and everyone else in my house is A so yes that is a challenge at times. Since we usually eat something different for breakfast and lunch, dinner is my only challenge. I truly believe it does work, but not for everyone if it's not sustainable for them then they shouldn't try it. As far as being pregnant I don't see any worry there since you aren't reducing calories or anything, just eating what your body likes. ;-)
  • vanumnum
    vanumnum Posts: 19
    Options
    I admit to buying the book and never reading it - but it DOES resonate with me as well! I support you! :smile:
  • mellyz
    mellyz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hit a low point with my weight around easter and got to a weight I told myself I would never get to again, it was recommended for me to give this diet a go and see how I went with it. I have been on this diet for a few months now and I am feeling so much better since cutting out all the avoid foods. I am amazed at how my body reacts when I do eat something on my avoid list - yes sometimes I have naughty days - I don't deny myself something if I am really craving it. I have a whole heap more energy and have lost the bit of weight I put on after injuring my shoulder last year and not really being able to exercise or do anything. I have a few friends who have just started it as well who are also seeing results from it!