How can I reduce carbs?

I'm a carb lover. Bread, pasta and rice used to be staples of my diet. I have reduced their intake since starting my weight loss, but id like to try reducing further, to hit the 40/30/30 ratio. But I'm clueless about how to do it! I'd like to carry on eating fruit, it makes me feel good, despite the high carb content!

My diary is open, please can someone advise me on the best way to reduce my carbs?

Many thanks.

Replies

• leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    I would like to know this too!

Try lettuce wraps with sandwiches instead of bread! YUM! Or I have found a low carb wheat wrap, it hasn't been around lately, so I'm not sure what the brand is.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Cut your portion size of pasta and find a lower carb option for bread. I try to keep my carbs under 40/per meal.
  • If you are hitting your protein goal of 30%, your carbs should be fine also. Try eating more protein dense items like meat, greek yogurt, cereals high in protein like Kashi, eggs, peanut butter and nuts. I always find that protein bars help also. I just recently switched to the 40/30/30 ratio, and I've had to cut way back on my fruit. I've found that you have to be very decisive about how you spend your carbs. White pastas and breads are for the most part completely out, because they just aren't worth the carb count. Fruits and a few whole grains are the way to go. Hope that helps
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I'd say cut out the cereal, eat pasta less often, and eat more fresh vegetables. Also, the WW snack bars probably aren't great.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    I just had a quick look at your diary for today and you could easily halve the amount of pasta you are having for Dinner and increase the amount of tuna. This will give you an increase of protein as well.

The Square Wraps are also great, I use them for pizzas from time to time, but I only have one and try and get as much on one as I can. Increase the amount of ham and use only one wrap. Doing just this has already kept you under your carb intake and increased your protein intake.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    use other, more nutritious or less calorie-dense options

quinoa is a good rice replacement
    grated squash is a good pasta replacement
    rice wrappers (spring rolls) are a good sandwich bread replacement
    riced vegetables like cauliflower make a good "mashed potato" or other "side dish"
    cauliflower crust pizza (shut the hell up!)

or mix things up; have some pasta, but mix a considerably smaller portion in with the grated squash
    mix rice & quinoa together

use everything you would for a sandwich and wrap it in a spring roll wrapper (except sauce...save that for the side)

keep your fiber intake way up; drink lots of water.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Veggies are great ways to feel full without having too high of a carb count. Certainly the way to lower carbs is to transfer the majority of your calories over to protein. Chicken breast, eggs, and lean beef are great ways to fill up on a meal that stays low in carbs.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Look for Dreamfields pastas in the black box. They have high fiber and are low on the glycemic index, with less total carb intake. The higher the fiber, the better the carb is, and you need to eat some carbs. Also look for sandwich thins, they make a great sandwich or bun and are low carb and calorie. There are some really good low-carb wraps and tortillas as well. Fruit is so good, and a better carb to eat than others, but try to focus on vegetables! You can eat a TON of vegetables, no carbs and low calories. I avoid carbs for supper, I eat them for breakfast and lunch but not for dinner.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I used to be a huge carb lover myself... I still do love pasta on occasion. But I normally do not eat a lot of carbs in my daily diet. Tried paleo/primal for about six months and while I couldn't continue it forever (it's just too limiting), it did have a profound effects on my eating habits. I rarely eat bread or pasta at all, low-carb bread doesn't ever make it to my shopping basket. My diet is mostly meat and vegetables, with some fruit and some dairy. If you're not normally consuming grains, the amount of carbs in the amount of fruit you eat isn't as significant. I find myself eating a lot of salads and soups especially for lunch.

Focus on 30% protein and 30% fats. Once you hit those goals, you have room for some carbohydrates. But bread and pasta can't be the focus of your meals if you're trying to lower your carb/protein ratio.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    It may sound silly, but keep it simple.
    Look at your past diary to see exactly what foods are carbs.
    Plan your meals ahead of time to meet your macros.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    First of all, I eat carbs and lots of them.

I don't eat bread anymore. Or very rarely. Bread is just way too many calories for what you get out of it.

I do eat a fair bit of these. They are only 80 calories for 1 pita. They work great for all kinds of things. Sandwiches. or I'll cut them up, season them and toast them for chips.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJ30NF9E3_OkkVyMiCLwtH104CsSy-oGe0hZrdHs62tTV8H6fAchOjewjSig

When I have pasta, I cut down the amount of pasta I eat and have a salad with it, or I use some pasta and some spaghetti squash. I've also switched from having Italian pasta on a regular basis to having stir fry's using rice noodles. Get to add more protein and veggies and the rice noodles are less calories.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 376 Member
    Spaghetti squash!
  • Have you tried spaghetti squash? Once you get the hang of cooking it, it is a wonderful pasta substitute. It looks the same and tastes better! Give it a try.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Buy Dr. Atkins' Carbohydrate Gram Counter. I don't think we need to go as low as he said though.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    I hate to say it, if you want to lower them, just do it hun. I went low carb about 2 months ago - dropped all pasta, rice, potatoes, most breads and about 70-80% sugar. Best way to cut back is just go for it, but.... I did alot of research on what I could eat & shouldn't eat, I also went out and bought a cookbook so I wouldn't feel like I was in a rut eating the same things everyday.

It's rough the first few weeks, but things do get better. I aim to keep my carbs between 50-100, which is a great improvement over what I used to.

You could always start slowly, drop 1 item at a time, find substitution then go from there.

Good luck!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    I'm not sure how to answer this without sounding snarky.... but reducing carbs means avoiding pasta, rice, bread and sugar....not sure what kind of advice you're seeking here. When you avoid the above foods, and replace them with vegetables, voila. Low carbs. If you want to still eat fruit (and who wouldn't) stick to berries and bananas. These fruits have the lowest sugars (and carbs).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    If you want to still eat fruit (and who wouldn't) stick to berries and bananas. These fruits have the lowest sugars (and carbs).

Bananas are VERY high in sugar and carbs compared to other fruits. It probably has the highest sugar content of any conventional fruit.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    If you want to still eat fruit (and who wouldn't) stick to berries and bananas. These fruits have the lowest sugars (and carbs).

Bananas are VERY high in sugar and carbs compared to other fruits. It probably has the highest sugar content of any conventional fruit.
    This. Berries, watermellon, grapes are lower.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    You kind of have to re-vamp the way you eat. Don't do replacements for sandwiches or breads, pick a completely different meal.

Have a giant salad with tuna on it and some olive oil and vinegar or leftovers from dinner (which shouldn't be pasta based!). For dinner, pick a protein and cook up one or two veggies with it. Roast the veggies, saute them, or steam.

Cutting out the pasta, bread, and rice for 30 days will reduce your reliance on them and reduce or eliminate your cravings. You can take a look at my diary if you want, I don't eat any pasta or bread and my other grains are very, very limited. Go back to last week, this weekend has been really rough.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member

My mistake. I was thinking of the fructose level, not the general carb level. Bananas are lower in fructose, higher in glucose. My trainer has advised me to eat a banana after a workout to replenish gylcogen stores. I've also read that it's important to eat fruits with higher glucose than fructose, because glucose will replensih glycogen while fructose will not- it will get stored as fat.

Wikipedia has a good chart of fructose/ glucose ratios in fruit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose