I need your advice, please! What to do?

Options
Hello!
Here I am, asking for exercise, who would believe it???
But I need ASAP some advices on how to start it slowly, I am 56 years old, weak, with a bad knee and HBP...I am always afraid I will have a heart attack if I exercise...but I don't have any strength, very bad, I also have terrible back pain, and I know it is because the weight.
I was at the doctor, and I am going to a Nutritionist group.
So, somebody with experience can advise me about a good DVD por people like me in my current physical situation?
Thank you!!!
Yam

Replies

• Stargirlsmiles88
    Stargirlsmiles88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Do you happen to have a Wii or an Xbox 360? If so, I like to do Just Dance 3, and you can set the mode to easy so it only tracks your upper body. You might have to avoid ones where they kneel or something like that, but those are few and far between.
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm an expert, but coming from the land of a spinal injury, walking is going to be your best friend. It's free, low impact and will not put extra stress on your joints. As you begin to lose weight, your knee will feel better and your BP will slowly decrease. It's all about consistency and good food choices. More calories burned than eaten. Each day, try and take 10,000 steps. You'll get faster, go further and can slowly incorporate hand weights etc. If you have a smartphone, there are a bazillion apps to help you track how far you went/fast you went etc. No matter what you choose to do, be consistent with it. Don't get frustrated about the numbers on the scale. It's all about how you feel. You didn't gain weight quickly, and you won't lose it quickly. Feel free to add me if you need some brutally honest encouragement :)
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    i am 59 - have had two knee replacements and borderline HBP. start slowly - no impact on your knees. an exercise bike is best and swimming is awesome! also stretching is very important. I don't use a DVD program, kind of do it on my own and I use the WII fit. you can friend me if you want and I will be there to support you. There is also a group for "losing 50 in my 50's" and they are awesome support.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not to be an *kitten*, but if you're that worried about it, you are either making excuses/over reacting, or you should probably see a doctor about a healthy, safe exercise and diet program.

As far as the bad knee goes, stick with low impact stuff... swimming is great option.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic exercise. Start with 10 minutes at a pace enough to make you slightly breathless and build up from there. You can do it at home with an indoors walking DVD like Leslie Sansone's "Walk At Home" series,which are great!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Honestly- if you are out of shape and want somewhere to start- try just taking a walk for 20-30 mins. See how far you can go at a moderate pace. If its easy, then maybe add in some low impact aerobic exercise (a lot of cable providers offer free work outs in there on-demand section) and also some body weight strength exercises like squats, lunges, push ups, dips. etc.

The first time you exercise, you may feel like your heart is going to beat out of your chest- which is okay. However, as I am not a dr. I would suggest perhaps talking to your primary care and making sure that whatever exercise plan you do is okay with whatever medications (if any) you are taking for your high blood pressure.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't know how bad your knee is, but I would suggest that you simply start walking. Do it slowly, for as long as you can. Eventually you will gain stamina which will allow you to go a little faster and a little farther. There is no need to start a vigerous exercise program right away. Anything more than what you are already doing will help you to burn more calories. Good luck!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    What about trying a Leslie Sansone walking DVD? She encourages you to just do what you can, and it always seemed to me to be very low impact.

See if you can find an example of her workouts on YouTube to see if it's something you think you can do.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    An eliptical is a good low impact work out. Walking can be a work out. Go outside and walk. Start slow and work your way up. DVDs aren't always the best way to start. You can get most of want free on the internet. Go to youtube or just Google what you are looking for. But nothing beats good old fashioned getting up and moving.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1st you are not going to have a heart attack. From a medical perspective High BP and exercise isn't going to give you a heart attack. So forget that thought.

Second if you are starting out... try Leslie Sansone's Walking DVD's. You can do them in your home. She is excellent for people with medical issues. Her DVD's are on Amazon and sold at Walmart.

You can also do lots of exercise sitting in a chair. Google Chair workouts.

Your body can become strong. You can lower your BP you just have to believe and get rid of the word scared from your vocabulary.

Good Luck!
  • ChasingVictory
    Options
    If I were you I would start out just by walking do it at a pace that pushes you and try for 30minutes to an hour. Get knees braces if you have to. and when you're sitting watching tv use 3 or 5 pound weights just lifting them with your arms the whole time your sitting there. If you do it correctly after it little bit you'll feel your heart pumping which should be gentle enough and help build your heart muscle. My other advice is to ask your doctor what you should start out with. Walking is usually okay but they might be better able to help you.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am also 56 and have never been an exercise person. I also have HBP, sore knees and arthritis in my hip. I started (towards the end of last year) by walking - at first for 20 minutes and building it up gradually so I now regularly walk 1.5 - 2.5 hours. Then I started going to the gym. At first I would go on the machines for only a few minutes, but again I have built up my endurance. Now I exercise in some form 5 - 6 times a week, and have recently started jogging slowly as part of my gym sessions.

My advice would be to do what you can the first time and to choose something you think you will enjoy (walking, swimming ........), but set yourself a target to increase the time/distance/effort at regular intervals. You could also get checked out by a doctor and get reassured that some gentle exercise like walking won't cause a heart attack.

As for dvds, I can't really help as, although I have some, I rarely use them.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    First of all, get your doctor's approval for any kind of physical activity.

My aunt has osteoporosis/arthritis and numerous other conditions. She joined the YMCA and swims several times a week. She walks and has (before hip surgery) bicycled occasionally. You can train with light 3-5 pound weights or simple resistance bands. Even grab a couple cans of beans off your pantry shelf and do strengthening moves with them. Leslie Sansone has wonderful in-home walking dvds that are easy on the joints as well.

Good luck!
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
    :smile: Yoga, you can do it at your own pace and they have plenty of DVD's out there for beginners. Feel free to friend me. I'm a soon to be 50 female. I've lost 30 pounds since joining My Fitness Pal in January 2012. Love this site.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but my mom is around your age and I would tell her to start walking and doing Pilates. The walking will help burn calories and fat without being too stressful, and the Pilates is an awesome way to strengthen your core and work on toning and strengthening limbs and everything else. I just love it.

If I needed to start slow, I'd do just that. Walk daily, do Pilates, do some Yoga/stretching, and eat clean.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    61 here and my husband and i just started walking. 10 minutes, then 20 minutes, now at least 30 and some days more. We have each lost more than 30 lbs since January and feel so much better. Still have a long way to go but we made this a life change and hope to keep it up long term. As the weight came off the walking became easier. Water exercises would be good but we live in a very small town with no pools. Best of luck to you!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi! Leslie Sansone walking dvd's are great! She has alot to choose from & are mostly lower impact (great for just starting out)
    Take one day at a time.....baby steps....do what you can & before you know it you'll surprise yourself....you will build up the strength and endurance to do more than you ever thought possible!! =) You've taken the first and hardest step....you can do the rest no problem ;)
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!
    I did check my heart and was OK...and the knee is something new that suddenly happens 2 months ago and doesn't go away...
    Good advices!!!
    THANKS!
    Yam
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The hula hoop is a fantastic low impact exercise that is easy on the back. A weighed hula hoop (2 to 4 pounds) that is around 42 inches in diameter is best to start. My mother is 77 with spinal stenosis and osteoarthritis and she has learned to hula hoop. There are tons of free tutorials online for hooping. Just start slow (3 to 5 minutes at a time) and work up to 30 minutes.

Also be sure you talk to your doctor BEFORE you start exercising.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Start with walking or swimming just to get in the habit of moving every day. I would suggest look for a beginners pilates or yoga DVD. These will allow you to start strengthening your body as well! Your local library may have some you can check out. You can also stream exercise videos on hulu.com. Don't get discouraged if you can't do everything. Just do what you can and you will improve. A good DVD will offer modifications for beginners.