Beginning Runner - Couch 2 5K

Options
So I'm now on week 3 of C25K and wanted to get some advice from runners who've been doing this longer than me. My old tennis shoes have worked through the heel and I just bought some new ones that are supposedly better cushioned for the run. Either they're still in the "breaking in" phase or the cushion isn't as good as advertised. Should I spring for more expensive shoes?

Training Question - do you pace yourself or push yourself when you are training? I'm VERY new to jogging and have not been pushing myself to go as fast as possible, but pacing my jog instead so I could endure the entire 3 minute intervals and the whole daily training session instead of pushing my limits on each interval.

Another question - the dreaded side stitch. Do you back off of your intensity or do you push through the pain and keep giving it 100%?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Running shoes should not need a break in period, ever. Take them back and get fitted at a running store for shoes that will match your gait. It will make a world of difference!

While doing C25K, I would say go slow and steady so you can go the distance. I just finished C25K and am trying to improve my speed but can just barely do the 5K so I think I have to wait until it's easier to really work on my speed.

I can't help with the side stitches, sorry.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, on the training question, I would say the same as omma - don't push for speed, stick to a pace that allows you to finish the day's program. I finished c25k in March, and that was how I did it - slow and steady to finish each week - and I did! Since then I've been able to work on speed and have increased my pace over time.

I know I've read advice for the side stitches, but since they aren't usually a problem for me, I didn't pay super close attention. :tongue: Try searching the boards for info here or Google it.

And good luck with the shoes - sounds like you need a different type, which I know is a bummer - shoes aren't cheap, but totally worth having a good pair for running!
  • KitKB
    KitKB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A runner friend told me that a good way to keep from getting side stitches is to put your lips into an "O" shape and breath through it. I've not had a side stitch yet (I do this when I feel the beginnings of it) -- but I can't say whether it works when you've got a full-fledged one. Still, worth a shot. Right?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on the shoes. A properly fitted pair of runners shouldn't need breaking in. Go to a running specialty store for help picking the appropriate shoe.

Pace - pacing is a skill that's learned over time. One trick I use is to count four footfalls breathing and and 4 breathing out when I'm doing a slower run. At this point your only focus should be on building endurance rather than worrying about speed, keep your breathing relaxed and your pace should be ok - if you're getting out of breath slow down.

Side stitches - slowing down should prevent most of them (nobody's 100% sure why your diaphragm spasms) if you get one slow down to a walk and take a few slow deep breaths & they'll normally go away.