What worked for you??

2»

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    I started out doing Zumba. When that stopped working I moved on to spinning. I have always done two days a week of strength training.
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    "Chalean Extreme" really worked for me. I knew I wanted to lift heavy weights and tone up but honestly did not know the proper methods. She has 3 strength training videos and a bunch of cardio and abs videos in the package. She is motivating and great for beginners. I do the 3 weight lifting videos and pair it with 2 days of any cardio I enjoy. On Rainy days I do her cardio videos. As Chalean Says "Muscle is the fountain of youth, muscle burns fat."
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    First you have to WANT it. Not "it would be nice if I was smaller and fitter", you have to CRAVE it. I have several friends that look at my success and say "I just don't want it that bad" and they stay the way they are. And that's fine. Everyone has to get to a point where they WANT it really bad. I wanted it and went out to get it. First I had to control my food, learn to eat better foods, more balanced diet. Then I started walking, 20 minutes to 1 hour about 5 days a week. Then incorporating 30DS and weights. Now I'm doing C25K and starting a few more JM videos.

Now that I'm where I want to be I have to WANT to maintain it. I bought a pair of size 6 Jennifer Lopez "going out" shorts from Kohls on Friday - they fit AWESOME, my legs look a mile long and I'm proud of my body in them. They remind me what I have to do to keep wearing them. I started out in a 16 and I never want to go back there. I'm finally, after lots of years battling, comfortable with my body. I'm proud of myself and that keeps me motivated...
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    I just wanted to be healthy. I follow a complex carb eating plan,I eat in moderation so I never feel deprived and I walk,weight train,or do yoga everyday for 45 mins at least and I am on this "plan" everyday because I am a thin person both inside and out now and I will live my life as such. I feel so good especially about summer clothes and bathing suits and of course ME. Good luck eventually it becomes habit and you do it without thinking.
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    The C25K program. Started out easy enough that I could do it without taking a break or stopping (I never ran before). Has progressed nicely with raising the difficulty level. I'm on week 5 now and for the first time I enjoy working out and get really annoyed if the "real world" interrupts and I have to cancel/reschedule my run. I have the app and its such a great achievement when I finish. It offers to post to facebook which I do every time, even if I have to redo a week/session. While I feel accountable here, I really feel accountable on FB.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    What worked for me was hiring a personal trainer that used to teach a class at my gym. It has been exactly a year since I started. I have only lost about 18 pounds in the past year, but I never feel deprived like I am "dieting". I eat what I like, drink beer still, and enjoy my twice-weekly personal training sessions. I also added in walking 2 miles one or two days a week in addition to the training sessions (30 minutes each). My body shape has completely changed from these small modifications to my lifestyle.
  • tarapickett
    tarapickett Posts: 34 Member
    There have been a few things:
    1. Pilates! I really like Ellen Barrett's videos and have done quite a few of them now.
    2. Realizing what was in my food and how many calories things were. I was amazed at how unhealthy some of the "health" foods I was eating were.

I don't workout every day, but I do keep strict count of my calories and try to exercise/stay very active at least four times a week.

Good luck to you and feel free to add me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    What's worked for me is short term results from doing something that I've always wanted to do. In my case, I've always wanted to learn martial arts, so at the beginning of this year, I enrolled in a local Ninjutsu dojo. It's something I've always wanted to do, and it's something I can learn while doing (instead of just doing the same things over and over). I also saw my mood do a 180 after the very first class (I deal with Depression), which helped a ton.

Once I got that habit in, I also added some complementary weight lifting. I've never been much of a gym rat, but my Ninjutsu provided me with a purpose for weight lifting (so that I would be strong enough to contend with the guys while sparring), which keeps me motivated.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    there was a post on another board here full of pictures. there is one man who went from something like 500 lbs to a very muscular 250ish. any time i need motivation, i think of him! i think of how much more work he had to do to get where he is (i only need to lose @ 30 pounds) and if he can do it, so can i! not that i want to be super buff, but i have to remember i am not going to get anywhere if i don't do the work.
  • sjmn
    sjmn Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies! You are all very motivating and I am going to have to try out some of your suggestions. Thanks again!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Finding something that I really loved to do! Years ago....back in the 80's I was a pudgy new Mom with not a lot of experience or knowledge of working out. On a whim my sister, a girlfriend and I joined Jazzercise and we wound up loving it!! We went all the time...they even provided babysitting at most locations. And as the pounds came off my motivation increased. Fast forward to now...I haven't been to a Jazzercise class in years but it certainly was a catalyst to inspire me to MOVE and to explore new avenues of exercise!!!

So find something you like and grab a girlfriend or to for accountability and motivation :happy:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    An appropriate calorie deficit worked for me lol. I exercised regularly since I started losing weight (in January) but mostly just cardio... I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, Turbo Jam, and running outside. I started p90x and got through the first phase before deciding I would rather just get a gym membership and work out there. I felt like it would be a lot more efficient and effective. I've been lifting weights for the last few weeks and really like it but it's too soon to talk about the results. Although I am loving the way my legs look.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    I am looking for some motivation.... Those of you that are having success in the toning and/or weight loss department and are regular exercisers, what are you doing? What was it that "clicked" for you and got you to start working out consistently? A specific workout? A kick in the butt? What do you attribute to your results?

Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks!!

First of all, the game of progress can be highly addicting.

But most of all, getting into a regular schedule and sticking to it. I work out every day at the same time for about the same length. I have to be smart about my programming so I don't burn out, but working out every day has become a habit for me; I can't imagine skipping it, I'd have no idea of what to do with myself.

At first, even if I was too ____, I at leas put forth a token effort and did something just to stay in the habit. Nowadays its so strong I don't even think of skipping.