Out-of-town tips

Options
My father is in the hospital over an hour away from my home. The hospital is re-modelling, so they have very limited space for a cafeteria. Strange as it sounds, their dietary offerings were poor so I had to eat out in a restaurant for every meal. When you are in an environment like this what are some tricks that you use to stay on track? Even though I wasn't near a computer for those two days I ate so poorly that I would have been mortified if I tracked it, anyway! How do people do this? And what do you eat if you can't eat at home for even one meal? Thanks!!

Replies

• shrednyc85
    shrednyc85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot so I am often faced with what to do when eating out.

Concerning lunch, I always just do a salad since its something that 90% of places have. And if they don't, then something like a piece of grilled fish or chicken. Concerning dinner, I have a much harder time because I tend to eat most of my calories at dinner - but even if I order something not necessarily low calorie (pasta, fries) I can always just eat half or three-quarters.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Just having that mindset of what is good for you and what is bad for you while looking at a menu can always be a big plus when it comes to weight loss. You can ask people at the restaurant for healthier choices of meals or like was said grab a salad for lunch or dinner.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Can you bring your lunch/dinner with you? I often do that when I'm traveling for short bursts of time.
  • adr810
    adr810 Posts: 18
    Options
    Can you pack lunch and dinner? I have severe IBS and food intolerance's so eating out is always a big no for me especially when I have to travel. I've been packing lot's of healthy options and this has helped a lot!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I start at the salad part of the menu, find something with protein there. And then look for an alternative in the grilled meats/veg. And I always ask for double veg, no potato (I don't love potatoes, and don't get the point lol).

But most often: the salad. I travel a lot and eat a lot of chicken caesar salad no croutons (waste of calories, those croutons).