Sore after workout, how long is normal?

Options
I've just recently started adding a little strength training into my workout routine. I'm trying to ease into it as I've never done anything like that before.

The lady that teaches my zumba classes is also a personal trainer at the gym where the classes are held and she does a short, 30 minute "strength training" class after Zumba twice a week.

Well, last Wednesday when I left class my upper arms felt very sore.. but I thought "of course they are. They did this last time too.. but it goes away"

However, they've ached off and on all weekend this time and today they have been very sore and achey.

Is this normal? There's no severe pain, just soreness and achiness.. like I just worked out. But it's been several days now!

I have class again tonight, but if there is the possibility that it's not just normal soreness, I thought I might shouldn't go.

Like I said, I'm still new to this, so I'm not sure what I should just "work through" and what might indicate a problem.

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Entirely possible.

I always have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) - it comes on about 24 hours after a big weight training session...HOWEVER, it doesn't always occur and my body is a bit flippy about when it wants it to occur.

I have had some times when the ache and soreness has lasted up to 3 days...stretching after your workout and also a few hours after helps a bit - also make sure you drink a good about of water and get in a little extra protien after a strength training wourkout as both of those help repair your muscles. You can also roll your muscles - for you legs you can get a foam cylinder and roll parts of your legs and butt. for arms and backs those wooden massage things work well - for your back a laccrosse or a tennis ball works great - trap it between your back and a wall and roll...rolling can hurt a little bit but it is well worth it to massage your muscles.

Like I said for me I never know what might bring it on - I do kickboxing 2 x's a week and i can go weeks without DOMS and then we do a workout and then 24 hours later I am wincing as I walk up the stairs. I just did a bunch of lifts on Sunday morning and I can feel it in my shoulders and upper back this morning - was perfectly fine all day yesterday...

I find even if I am a bit sore if I go back to class all the movement really helps.
  • sisi1887
    sisi1887 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's normal. It's because your body wasn't use to it, and it's still in the recovery stage. That's why it's never good to workout the same body part day after day because the body needs time to recover. The aches could even last up to a whole week, but it usually lasts long in the beginning. Over time, your body will recover faster, and you will have less aches and pains.

If the aches are too much and you don't feel ready, you should probably skip it and recover those body parts until it gets better. It all depends on how your body responds. Listen to your body. You should also make sure your body is taking in enough protein post workout for quicker recovery. Generally, when you're starting strength training, I would say 0.8 to 1 g of protein per LB, but I would go on the lower end in the beginning. It depends on how intense the workout is too.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I start doing a new exercise or routine, I can be sore for over a week. Once you do the new exercise or routine a few times, the soreness period reduces drastically, down to nothing eventually.

I've also found that the best cure for muscle soreness is more workouts! If you've had a couple days of rest you should be fine. I bet you'll feel better once you warm up. Only time I would avoid working out would be shooting pains or joint pains or something along those lines.
  • ABlessedMan
    Options
    It's normal. What has helped me is to warm down after weights by do some stretching exercises, drinking a protein shake within a half hour after working out & I also take glutamine, an amino acid which aids in the recovery process.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I figured it was just sore muscles, but I guess I had just never had it last that long before! I'm excited about class tonight, I'm sure once I get started I won't notice the soreness!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just want to repeat what a couple other said - make sure you stretch really well (20-25 seconds each stretch) and definitely up your protein intake a bit. When you're sore the next day, stretch again but don't do it cold - either do dynamic stretching (like arm circles, frankenstein kicks, butt kicks, etc) or warm up with some light cardio for about 10 minutes, then stretch.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My aches tend to set in 12 hours after a weight lifting workout, and last to the 48 hour mark. Rarely have I been sore longer, though there was that one workout where three days later, walking down the stairs was still agony!

I do find that cardio the day after helps eliminate some of the soreness, by keeping the joints lubricated and the muscles mobile.

Your body does get used to a level, and then the soreness is much less apparent. I suspect it takes at least 6 weeks.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Get some Elite Recoup, I don't know if it is a placebo effect or what but since I started drinking it the second I get out the gym I have only had minimal soreness.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that sounds pretty normal for just starting out, at least in my experience. When I come back from a break, I'll start to get sore the next day, and it continues the day after for a few more days. Subsequent training sessions invariably help the soreness, though.

Take some extra time to stretch before and after workouts.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I hate when people comment on topics they have no clue on what they are doing but they feel like they are experts because they have been losing weight doing it (whether its the right way or not) .... Yes it is possible that you are still sore from it being your first time EVER doing something like that. I have been lifting weights and doing cardio for around 10 years now and I still get sore from lifting weights the day after. However if you are feeling that sore I would suggest taking a protein powder/shake 30 mins after your workout so you can drink/eat your workout calories back as well as the protein shake will help you recover quicker from a strenuous workout.

Good Luck and enjoy
  • wihappycow
    wihappycow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I did dead lifts on Saturday and Ill probably still be sore by the end of this week. However I have found that taking my post workout recovery shake has significantly helped with the soreness. I know athletes take ice baths to decrease inflammation but I just can't bring myself to go that far. I'm afraid being sore is part of the journey, but don't feel like to have to push yourself too hard, taking the slow approach can just as effective. You want to challenge your muscles and create those microscopic tears so they can rebuild stronger, but not so much that you cant even walk up the stairs the next day. I think it takes women longer to recover from soreness then men, but that's just my opinion. I think a week is normal if you really over did it, otherwise 3 to 4 days sounds about right for new workout soreness. ROCK ON GIRL!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Get some Elite Recoup, I don't know if it is a placebo effect or what but since I started drinking it the second I get out the gym I have only had minimal soreness.

No you're not crazy lol...Same here. It works very well for me too :)