Can't eat all my calories

Options
I am 1800 calaorie a day and if I hit 1300 thats a stretch. When I add my exercise calories in, that adds another 800 to 1000 calories. I am still eating about the same. I have lost weight but I have now been at 270 for awhile, by me not eating all of the calories does this slow down the weight loss process because it has sure gotten harder? To be honest I really dont know much about losing weight just flying by the seat of my pants any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• melissam226
    Options
    YES.

If you eat less than your TDEE (or even worse, less than your BMR) it'll slow down your metabolism eventually and your body won't want to let go of anymore weight.

You should net (i.e. your food calories minus exercise) your TDEE minus a cut (anywhere from 5% to 20%).

There's a group called Eat More to Weigh Less and a metabolism reset group here that made me get over my plateau. Look into it and good luck!

-Melissa
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say different things about how much you need to eat. Some say you need to eat more to weigh less others say you can keep losing weight by keeping your calories low. personally i think it depends on what you eat, if you get all your nutrients you need with 1300 calories then why do you need 1800? If you eat very healthy and only get to 1300 calories I don't see why you won't lose weight. I know for me the first 8 or 9 weeks I was eating around 1600 cals a day and now I am eating close to 2000 and have not had a bad weigh in yet. If you really want to try adding a few extra calories maybe add in small snack bars, peanuts, fruit, or really any small snacks between meals. As far as exercise calories go, I normally do not eat them back, but if i am hungry and eat some of them back who cares. Just figure out what works for you , and if the scale is not moving maybe weigh yourself less often, i only weigh in once a week and always at the same time, ( if you work out a lot you may not always see big number changes on the scale)
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pro by any means, but I remember reading that if you don't give your body enough calories it does kinda freak out on you and your metabolism slows down.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter + Spoon. Problem solved.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Eat your workout calories. Peanut butter protein shakes are a good source of calories that stay in your stomach longer
  • RichardAceves
    RichardAceves Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will check out this sight.
  • RichardAceves
    RichardAceves Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Makes sense, I do eat healthy and always hit or pass my protein goals. I am at the gym 5 to 6 times a week. I just started doing my cardio before I do my weight training and hoping this will help me to drop weight i know there are different rules of thumb on this topic. Thanks for your input.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Give them to me
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I'm sure 1300 is a fine amount of calories for you to eat. It's hard to eat 1800 if your eating all healthy lean meats, veggies , & fruits. Raw almonds , avocado and cottage cheese can help raise your calories...and are good for you.

Good luck : )
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm sure 1300 is a fine amount of calories for you to eat. It's hard to eat 1800 if your eating all healthy lean meats, veggies , & fruits. Raw almonds , avocado and cottage cheese can help raise your calories...and are good for you.

Good luck : )

So a guy weighing 270, burning 800-1000 a day and only eating 1300 calories total is fine? Come on. That's netting only 300-500 a day for a large man. Not only is that not "fine", it's dangerous.

To the OP, try high-fat foods if you can't meet your goal. Cook things in olive oil. Eat nuts or nut butters. Use full fat butter and milk. Put peanut butter in a protein shake. It's easy to add tons of calories. You're eating wayyyy too little, especially for a large man. I only weigh 235 and I eat 2500-2750 a day and continue to lose weight (started around 300). You gotta fuel the body, especially for your workouts.
  • chunkiesundae
    Options
    I second what's written above. Avocado, full fat yogurt, nut butters, whole grain breads with nuts in them, fresh, organic butter, organic milk, eggs, canadian bacon, olive oil, cheese (2% if you're worried about fat) olives, fatty fish, hell, eat a little organic ice cream here and there with plenty of fruit.
    Point being, include more healthy fats. IMO, 1800 is too few calories for a person your size and activity level; I think this site underestimates caloric need a little bit. I know I'm a fatty right now, but I've been in very good shape in my lifetime (I once ran a half marathon) and I'm not talking 100% out of my bum- eat fat to lose fat! Just avoid those nasty trans fats and all should be well.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

This.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Perhaps add a drizzle of chocolate syrup? ;-)
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    if you are burning 1000/day exercising, and eating 1300/day.........you have two options

A: stop exercising
    B: eat more

both options will help you to lose weight

a net of 300 calories per day for a 270lb person is not a healthy way to live
  • lindayoung6887
    Options
    i need help Itried everything don't want to quit !!