Do you guys

MOMOFTWO29
MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
go by what MFP sets as your calories or do you set your own? If so do you set it to lose 1 pound, 1 1/2 pounds, or 2 pounds? How many calories do guys eat a day? I was just wondering.

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    I go by MFP. I am set at 2lbs a week. 1430 calories. What about you
  • I also go by MFP and i have about 1330-ish without excersize calories, which i don't usually bother with unless my body tells me i am hungry.
  • I also go by MFP and i have about 1330-ish without excersize calories, which i don't usually bother with unless my body tells me i am hungry.

2LBS./wk BTW
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    I have set mine at 1200 most of the time. After a few weeks, especially if i know there will be some challenging food-events, I change up to 1300-1400 for a couple of weeks. Then back to 1200.

I maintained my weight all summer, which pleases me immensely. I lost a couple of pounds on vacation, then have stayed exactly the same through 3 straight sedentary weeks, lots of traveling & family partying. So now I've gone back to 1200 & my exercise schedule & it's time to get serious.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I did a manual setup so that my calorie intake is within 100 of my BMR (calculated by mfp). I have a thyroid problem and it took me 2 years to get my levels right and I'll be darned if I mess it up and have to go thru that again.:laugh: With exercise I end up eating around 2000-2200. Every now and then (like today) I'll leave 400-500 just for shock value (or eat maintenance).
  • MOMOFTWO29
    I go by MFP. I am set at 2lbs a week. 1430 calories. What about you

I set my own at 1500 calories a day, that says I will lose 1.5 pounds a week.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    my bmr is at a little over 1400. that's what i ate for a while but because i don't have much to lose, my nutritionist put me at 1600 a day. it comes out to a little more than half a pound per week.
  • I set up my own goals. I eat 1450 calories per day. (Shooting for 1lb a week)
    145g - protein
    109g - carbs
    48g - fat

I think that the "recommended" amount is way too low for most people.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    I set up my own goals. I eat 1450 calories per day. (Shooting for 1lb a week)
    145g - protein
    109g - carbs
    48g - fat

i agree with this
    especially for those that don't have too much weight to lose
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    i try to get in as much protein as i can,, i am set i at 1270 is what MFP put me at so i try to stay within that goal and if i put in exercise then i might be little appt to have a little:happy: bit extra..
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    I eat 1200 cals/day and it's set for 2 pounds per week. My weight is coming off very slowly at this point and I'm losing more like a pound a week. I also eat my exercise calories because 1200 is not enough food for me.:laugh:
  • I do not follow what MFP sets for me only because I have been working with a Dr. and she set me lower a little lower in calories, fat and carbs.

However I found this terrific website that can calculate what you calorie deficit should be from your BMR in order to loose the weight goal you are looking for.

There is a built in trigger to tell you when you are being too aggressive. It has been very helpful and accurate for me. http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_loss.php

There are some other neat calculators there too so hunt around.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    I do not follow what MFP sets for me only because I have been working with a Dr. and she set me lower a little lower in calories, fat and carbs.

However I found this terrific website that can calculate what you calorie deficit should be from your BMR in order to loose the weight goal you are looking for.

There is a built in trigger to tell you when you are being too aggressive. It has been very helpful and accurate for me. http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_loss.php

There are some other neat calculators there too so hunt around.

thanks, I will check that website out.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Wow, thanks for the link! My basic list of daily activities (essentials only) shows my calories burned to be upwards of 2400. A 500 calorie daily deficit would put me at 1900 calories...much, much higher than the 1370 I've been doing. Could be a big reason I'm stuck...hmm...
  • MOMOFTWO29
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    bump
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    145g - protein
    109g - carbs
    48g - fat

i agree with this

I'm recommended for 1200 but was hungry and not losing weight.
    I bumped mine to 1400 and don't feel as hungry. Haven't been doing it long enough to see results yet.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    145g - protein
    109g - carbs
    48g - fat

i agree with this

I'm recommended for 1200 but was hungry and not losing weight.
    I bumped mine to 1400 and don't feel as hungry. Haven't been doing it long enough to see results yet.

I just bumped mine up too. I was getting too hungry on the 1500.
  • Excellent guys!
    I will be anxious to hear how things go after a week on you calorie bumps! Keep us posted!!
    My calorie intake has become routine, which has really helped me listen to my body. I know when I haven't eaten enough even before i record my daily food at the end of the night and of course the opposite too, when I am over :frown:
This discussion has been closed.