HRM Recommendation?

Options
I have been looking for a decent HRM for a few weeks now since I started the C25K program. I guess I really have no idea what I should be looking for. I don't want something with a chest strap that has to be wetted down...I have read about a few of those on Amazon and people don't seem to like them. Is there something out there that is just a wrist watch that gives an accurate rating?

13575895.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Uh no. Wrist watch HRM's do not give an accurate reading.. so you need one with chest strap. Surprising that most reviews on Amazon give negative reviews of chest strap HRM's because here, it's all people recommend.

The preferred brand is Polar.. FT4, FT7, FT40 or FT60. Each has different features depending on what you want to use it for.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Uh no. Wrist watch HRM's do not give an accurate reading.. so you need one with chest strap. Surprising that most reviews on Amazon give negative reviews of chest strap HRM's because here, it's all people recommend.

The preferred brand is Polar.. FT4, FT7, FT40 or FT60. Each has different features depending on what you want to use it for.

This. I have an FT7 and love it.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 - love it. But it has a chest strap.. I don't see how one would be very accurate without the chest strap.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You need the strap to get a good reading. I know that it can be a bother and feel odd but you really do need it. I use a Polar F6.
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4...with a strap and you honestly can't even tell it's there!! It's totally comfortable! I absolutely LOVE it and I would definitely recommend it. My model is nothing too fancy...just heart rate and calories--that's all I use. Not too expensive either!
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    If you live near a Target, check out the Clearance end caps in the electronics department. I found Polar FT4 (pink ones) on clearance for $65. They may go even lower if no one buys.
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    After the first few times of wearing the chest strap, you dont even notice it. I have the polar FT4 in pink and i love it =]
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have polar ft7 and I love it. I saw in the Target ad for this week that they have a New Balance HRM with chest strap for 45 bucks. Maybe a good starter HRM?? I had an MiO HRM for my first and then upgraded to the polar. My MiO is much more accurate when using the chest strap, although it has the ability to be a sensor one where no chest strap is needed (but then it only uses the HR is senses the last time for however long until you do it again-there could be a lot of fluctuations in there that a chest strap would not miss)
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options

^ This. I have an FT4 and it has been great :)
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I'm curious too. :)
  • Phoink
    Phoink Posts: 8
    Options
    If you live near a Target, check out the Clearance end caps in the electronics department. I found Polar FT4 (pink ones) on clearance for $65. They may go even lower if no one buys.

I also have the FT4 and love it! I found mine at www.bodytronics.com for under $65.00 with no shipping and it arrived in about 3 or 4 days. So if you strike out at Target, check this website. :wink:
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the Polar FT7!! I love it. I thought the chest strap would be a pain, but it's really not at all.
  • jujubee233
    Options
    I have a Polar FT-60 and love it. If you want accurate heart rate, you're going to have to wear a chest strap. It's not bothersome or annoying or anything else bad you may have heard, in my opinion.
  • Fairieluv77
    Options

This! I also have an FT7 and love it.
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a Sportsline HRM and love it. It does have a chest strap, and like all the prior posts, you need the chest strap for the most accurate info. After working out with it 3-4 times, I do not notice that I'm even wearing the strap.

Since I'm a newbie to HRM, I went with the Sportsline because it's very basic, inexpensive, and easy to initially set up. I didn't want something that required reading a 100 page instructional manual. LOL .

Since purchasing the HRM, my worksouts have really improved. It's a great tool for heart rate and calories burned. I found the calorie-burned estimator on MFP to be very inaccurate when compared to my HRM.

Good luck.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options

^^^^ THIS. I love, love my FT7 and would buy another one in a second, if needed. After 8 months, I did purchase a second strap to alternate since I workout everyday.
  • ryanpayne4
    ryanpayne4 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4 with chest strap. got it on Amazon.com
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it. It has a chest strap & I don't even notice it when exercising. Having an HRM makes me challenge myself. I owe the inches I've lost to my HRM. Seriously.
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I'll be looking into the Polar FT7 and FT4's this week for sure. Do you guys wet the straps for this down too? I read a few reviews online about having to wet them so they are more accurate...