Running

Options
I weigh 250 lbs and I want to start running. What is the best way to start for me?

17233086.png

Replies

• Sminett
    Sminett Posts: 29
    Options
    Anyone?

17233086.png
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/
    I haven't used this personally, but from what I've seen and from what others have said, it's effective.

Basically, I just got on the treadmill and started running. Try intervals of power walking and jogging, it builds
    up your stamina (it did for me, anyway.)

Good luck! Running is great exercise and most who start a routine with it will stick with it.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I second c25K. I used it for a time to get back into running after a long break. A lot of beginners use it successfully.
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k is a good tool. That is what I used to start running. And that is how I lost most of my weight. Good luck!
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to do a quick Google search for a "Couch to 5k" training plan. These plans usually have a walk/jog type of schedule and are friendly for the new-to-running person!
    Feel free to send me a buddy request if you'd like more tips or a friendly support person.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Thats about what I weighed when I started I just started on eliptical moved to treadmill then moved outside. I would suggest the C25K program it seems to have worked quite well for alot of people. Also be sure to get shoes properly fitted for your feet go to a running store to get them. Best of Luck
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I did c25k this spring, and I'm running 4 miles a session now. (The most I'd ever run in my life - as a HS athlete - was about a mile and a half. I'm 42 now)
  • soopastar
    soopastar Posts: 1
    Options
    My wife used c25k on her Android and she is running 2-3 miles at a time now.
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/
    I haven't used this personally, but from what I've seen and from what others have said, it's effective.

Basically, I just got on the treadmill and started running. Try intervals of power walking and jogging, it builds
    up your stamina (it did for me, anyway.)

Good luck! Running is great exercise and most who start a routine with it will stick with it.

Definitely C25K. Enjoy!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. Couch to 5K. I've never tried it, but if I were starting from scratch with no running experience, that would be the first thing I would do.

Stretch well! Especially your calves and hip flexors... those are the places where I get sore first.
  • successleadstosuccess
    successleadstosuccess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Definitely the Couch to 5k program, I'm starting it right now and I'm loving it! I want to become a runner too and I can feel that it's a program that you can easily stick to :) Good luck!
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for good running shoes. Expect to pay ~$100+ for them. This will reduce the risk of injuries, which will stop you before you start. Buy some good running socks. Put these on, exit the house, and go. Many people have had success with some of the couch 2 5k programs, so you could also look into those.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OORsz2d1H7s

Just do it! Make sure you go to a running shop (Not a chain store) and get a good pair of shoes, or else you could injure yourself and end up not running for weeks or even months from a preventable injury.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used the Couch 2 5k program and downloaded podcasts from runningintoshape.com to run to that program with....

If you are new to running, please go see a store that specializes in running and get fitted for the right type of shoe for your feet.
    Also, do not beat yourself up and think that you cant do it...you will find it gets easier and easier as it goes along...enjoy the journey!
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Couch to 5K? You start off running a few minutes and walk a few, so on and so on. I also read the book "Run your butt off" and they state to make it comfortable, if you're only able to walk for 30 minutes for the first week, do that, then run a few minutes during the 30 minutes, etc. I like the book, may be worth checking out.

Stretch, stretch, stretch too! And don't get frustrated, I tend to be too hard on myself when running and think I should do more, but I am starting to learn to listen to my body and know that it will happen and not to be frustrated when there are days I just don't do as well as others.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    What speed on the treadmill should you use for gentle running?
  • zeuslalala
    zeuslalala Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "ditto the intervals"....Set aside 30 minutes 5 times a week. Walk for 3 minutes, then jog for as much as 30 seconds. Then repeat until 30 minutes is over. This is a great way to start. Gradually increase the jogging time and decrease the walking. Before you know it, you are jogging without the walking :) Good luck!
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters that couch to 5k is a great program. I have never in my life been a runner and I'm currently doing the couch to 5k program. I'm starting week 7 today and running 25 minutes straight. When I first started I couldn't even run 60 seconds without feeling tired and like I couldn't keep going. I would say give this program a try, it has done wonders for me. I never in my life thought I would ever be able to say I'm a runner but I'm almost to that point.
  • Twidget12
    Twidget12 Posts: 71
    Options
    I started running at 242lbs almost two months ago using c25k and have been loving it!! You should definitely check it out!!
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    Absolutely get good shoes. They won't be cheap but they are essential. Go to a running store (not a sports store) and have your gait analyzed and recorded, they'll fit you properly.