Camping Food!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My favorite camping recipe I learned years ago in boy scouts. Some call it a hobo dinner.

You take some aluminum foil (big enough piece to wrap chicken breast and veggies) and apply Mayo to one side of it. Mayo acts as oil to keep food from burning to foil. Place one raw chicken breast and whatever veggies you would like in center of foil. (I like carrots, potatoes, onions, and squash) Season to your liking. Than Fold two sides over food. Roll the bottom and the top to the food. Place it in coals when ready! You can use beef also.
  • sailingsal
    sailingsal Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    we did backwoods cooking with scouts yesterday. cooking burger wrapped in cabbage leaves, held in place with cocktail sticks, egg cooked in a cored out orange, apple cored and filled with raisins and brown sugar, toasties made by making sandwich coating outside of bread in butter and wraping in tin foil (or cabbage leaves). Then the standard chocolate bananas, samours etc

At scout camp breakfast is always something like eggy bread, sausages, or bacon. Lunch normally soup. Dinner chicken casserole made in a take away tin with pasta, chicken, any veg you wish and gravy/stock. Wrap in cling film and put on a fire.

Most of the cooking we do at camp is on barrel fires. Fun in the rain!!!
  • claire7090
    claire7090 Posts: 67
    Options
    One of my kids favourites is pasta with tomato and mozarella (we have two ring camping gas stove but sure you could adapt to use one ring or a pot on an open flame).

Cook dried pasta in one pan
    In a second pan fry some onions
    When pasta is cooked, drain the water off, put back over heat and stir through a tin of chopped tomatoes, the onions and a chopped mozarella ball.
    Serve!

Enjoy your trip.x

oooooh! that sounds yummy!

Thanks! - and it is MFP friendly as well (lowish calorie camping food is always difficult to find). x
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I went camping on Saturday... Marinated some steak, threw it on skewers with some vegetables in the cooler before we left, and it was ready to grill by the time we were :)

kebab.jpg

I am inviting you to go camping with me ! i will bring the beer!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My favorite camping recipe I learned years ago in boy scouts. Some call it a hobo dinner.

You take some aluminum foil (big enough piece to wrap chicken breast and veggies) and apply Mayo to one side of it. Mayo acts as oil to keep food from burning to foil. Place one raw chicken breast and whatever veggies you would like in center of foil. (I like carrots, potatoes, onions, and squash) Season to your liking. Than Fold two sides over food. Roll the bottom and the top to the food. Place it in coals when ready! You can use beef also.

this is what i usually do if i am alone!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    We camp all of the time! Always with a bunch of friends, and we all love to cook. Here is a list of the items we cook when camping. Ironically, when camping we all find we eat healthier foods, but the quantities are larger. Everything is cooked on the grill.

Salmon
    Scallops
    Tuna
    Lobster (whole and tails)
    Crab (whole in shell)
    Filet Mignon
    Ribeye
    London Broil
    Eggs (scrambled, poached and benedict)
    Bacon
    Portabella Mushrooms
    Zucchini - grilled is awesome
    Peppers - all kinds...we love to grill up jalapenos
    Chicken - all kinds in any way you can think of
    Hamburgers/Hotdogs/Sausages - these are always on the grill all day long
    tortillas - grilled, they are the best!

Its amazing how much of this fits those nights we choose to do it American style, or Mexican/Spanish style, or...

Best camping...meat and veggies...anything on the grill is awesome!
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump.. I too am planning on camping soon and thanks for the info about tin foil foods. I will google some recipes.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love to camp! I go wilderness camping every year with my family, and it is the best vacation ever! We always plan our meals ahead of time so we know exactly what we need to bring. My whole family is vegetarian/vegan, and I am gluten-intolerant, so we really come up with some innovative meals!

Here is one of the easiest and yummiest camping breakfasts. I don't know where you are camping, but if you have access to any wild berries (that you know aren't toxic!) pick a whole bunch. We usually find a lot of wild blueberries, but we go late in summer in Maine. Anyways, pick a whole bunch and then make a big pot of oatmeal. Mix in the berries, and a variety of dried fruit and nuts while it is cooking. If you really want to go crazy, mix in some peanut butter (amazing!). Add cinnamon, honey or maple syrup if you wish, and milk or soymilk. This makes a delicious and very filling breakfast. We will eat a big bowl of this and then go kayaking for hours!

Another fun thing to make as a snack is popcorn. Last year we got this amazing campfire popcorn maker, which is sort of a metal box with a lid and air vents, on the end of a long handle. We just pour in a little cooking oil to coat the sides, add kernels, and hold it over the fire. It made absolutely perfect popcorn every time! I highly recommend getting one!

Have fun on your trip! Now I can't stop thinking about my camping trip, it is only two months away!