Running + Stray Dogs

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I work in a dog training facility & have foster countless number of dogs. The best thing to do if they are very close to you is to slow down and stop running and act like a tree. DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT with the dog as that is a threat to them, do not bend over the top of them, allow them to smell you if they so choose but ignore them until they move on. Having something to put between you and the dog such as a tree or object will also be helpful. Once you know if the dog is going to be friendly you can start to walk away don't just start running again or they will play chase.

If you want to feel safer yes have a small stick that you can hold out for them to bite on, or carry some treats in your pocket and throw them away from you as if they are really a lost dog food is beneficial, however in most cases "Strays' or lost dogs rarely want human interaction as they are in flight or fight mode and by fight I don't mean run after a person for no reason.

My dogs will bark and run at anyone that comes into my driveway / yard but once they get a smell they lose interest unless it's my lab then he'll bring you his ball to throw for him.

I hope everyone reads this and pays attention. Some advice is better than others, and when it comes from a knowledgeable person, it's the best.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I work in a dog training facility & have foster countless number of dogs. The best thing to do if they are very close to you is to slow down and stop running and act like a tree. DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT with the dog as that is a threat to them, do not bend over the top of them, allow them to smell you if they so choose but ignore them until they move on. Having something to put between you and the dog such as a tree or object will also be helpful. Once you know if the dog is going to be friendly you can start to walk away don't just start running again or they will play chase.

If you want to feel safer yes have a small stick that you can hold out for them to bite on, or carry some treats in your pocket and throw them away from you as if they are really a lost dog food is beneficial, however in most cases "Strays' or lost dogs rarely want human interaction as they are in flight or fight mode and by fight I don't mean run after a person for no reason.

My dogs will bark and run at anyone that comes into my driveway / yard but once they get a smell they lose interest unless it's my lab then he'll bring you his ball to throw for him.

I hope everyone reads this and pays attention. Some advice is better than others, and when it comes from a knowledgeable person, it's the best.

I suppose I should've stated that I've been training dogs full time for 10 years, and have trained over 1500 dogs, (countless aggressive dogs), to have my comment taken seriously. :laugh:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

^

Also, in the case of loose animals, not strays, please note that a lot of places have "leash laws" ... that means if your dog is unrestrained in public and approaches someone, threatening or not, that person has every legal right to do what they feel is necessary to protect themselves as they see fit. This, for all my neighbors who let their dogs loose constantly and act like it is no big deal. I love animals and know how to deal with them, but there have been several times I've walked by myself or with my dogs where other people's dogs will charge us. It's very unsafe for both your pet and mine. Please be mindful...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I stop or at least slow down to a walk. I've worked for a vet and at a shelter, so I'm pretty good at "reading" dogs if they're friendly or not. If it's a friendly dog, I'll try to find the owner. If it's a nasty little f-er (and it's always the little ones that are!), I make myself look bigger and tell them "no" and "go home" in a stern voice.
  • jmax68
    jmax68 Posts: 11
    Options
    Use pepper spray. There are two types one oil based and one water based. I use the oil simply because it allows you to get out of the way. Both wear off in time. I am usually slow to use it though I have been bitten twice and then used sprayed as they came back again. Both dogs had owners with them and both told me the dog does not bite. I have found if the dog is watching to stop running and walk, use snacks, and if all else fails use the spray. Also carry a stick for the owner that may get mad because you sprayed their dog.lol jk
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I carry a box cutter. I'm not an animal lover, but I do tolerate their presence. I will allow the dog a chance to back off, but if it continues to advance and leave me no choice I will gut him/her like Skywalker gutted that Tonton.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Small yappy dogs are why I got the steel-toe spike add-on for my Vibrams.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    People just need to leash their dogs.
    I was bike riding with my man down a gravel path with a ravine on one side, and a river on the other side. An unleashed dog (who's owner was walking him) starts running along side me then darts out in front of me to chase him. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid crashing into the dog, & almost went of the path into the river. There is a leash law on this particular path, and the owner was holding one, I just don't understand why dog owners are so careless. The woman saw us coming and did not even attempt to get a hold of her dog. Aggravating!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A real loud shout of ACK/ACK works on many dogs. Sounds like a bark to them. If they continue to be a problem I use a squirt gun filled with vinegar and try to hit them in the face.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I will gut him/her like Skywalker gutted that Tonton.

Actually that was Han Solo. If you recall Skywalker was unconscious at the time. And that's a "Tauntaun" for the record.

// I'm not a total nerd but I play one on the Internet.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The ones you have to be wary of are the stealth dogs. These are the ones that come from behind without making any noise.

A few years ago I was running before the sun came up and was listening to an ipod. Suddenly I felt two large paws on my shoulders and a wet nose in my ear. It was a stealth dog. After I got over my shock and got him off my back he ran with me for the next three miles. He finally got tired of it and left. I hope he found his way home again.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My overall advice is to use common sense - most of us know whether a dog is coming up to say hi, whether they're defending their territory, or whether they're out to get you. I've come across schnauzers on my runs who would try to eat me if they weren't on-leash, and I've come across stray pit bulls who, with tongues hanging out, just wanted a buddy to run around with.

Oddly enough, I've come across a lot of cats that will follow me for a mile or so, which is weird, because I'm not a cat person and thus don't have any cats (plus my husband is allergic to them). I just worry about them getting underfoot.

I am a TOTAL dog person (I have four rescued dogs) and tend to want to pet all the dogs I come across, but if I saw one that was less than friendly, I'd just slow down to a walk and change direction (walking backwards, if I have to, so as not to turn my back on the dog). However, if it was my regular route, I'd try to figure out whose dog it is and would ask them if it's possible to restrain the dog. It's better for you, them, and their dog. No one wants to be bitten/attacked by a dog or sued and/or held criminally liable for a dog bite/attack.
  • nvrider
    nvrider Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have found something that works for me the majority of the time. I praise the dog and talk to it in a friendly way! "Are you a good dog" or "what a good dog you are", "good dog, whaddagoodboy/girl", etc.. For some reason it tends to throw them off guard and disarm the aggressive behavior. Even though it's terribly annoying to have a dog, especially an ankle biter come at you try and turn the situation around and tell them that they are doing their job being protective.

Then if that doesn't work, get out of Dodge! :):wink:
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I am TERRIFIED of dogs, big, small, average, tiny, large...it doesn't matter. If I see a dog from a distance I turn and head in the opposite direction. It messes my breathing all up and totally throws me off. I used to carry pepper spray and will continue to do so if I get a chance to run again. We are suppose to have a leash law in our town but many do now follow it. It really upsets me. I shouldn't be afraid to go out walking in my own town.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I will gut him/her like Skywalker gutted that Tonton.

Actually that was Han Solo. If you recall Skywalker was unconscious at the time. And that's a "Tauntaun" for the record.

// I'm not a total nerd but I play one on the Internet.

Thanks for the correction good sir and/or madame :) I won't forget that one, lol!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    "Leash laws" apply to EVERYONE in the country park near where I live except the morons who own dogs.

they seem to believe it's perfectly normal for their dog to drop as many turds as possible and literally terrorise geese, and swans... in the UK, Swans are very much a protected bird...but dog owner's needs are clearly more important than the rules that are designed to give everyone a pleasent and safe environment for recreation.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Oi. Don't generalise. Most of us dog owners are very responsible....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Nothing major with any dogs...but I did have a scary encounter with a flock of turkeys one near-dawn run. I went from "wow, look at all those turkeys up ahead" to "they're heading straight for me!" to "ZOMGWTFBBQ I'M BEING CHASED BY TURKEYS!!!111!1!".

I wish turkey owners were are responsible as most dog owners. =\
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have one of those "guns" that when you pull the trigger it puts out that high pitched sound that humans cant hear that bother dogs... Always works for me!

Its called scram patrol - http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Patrol-JB5465-Animal-Chaser/dp/B00266YWN2
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Nothing major with any dogs...but I did have a scary encounter with a flock of turkeys one near-dawn run. I went from "wow, look at all those turkeys up ahead" to "they're heading straight for me!" to "ZOMGWTFBBQ I'M BEING CHASED BY TURKEYS!!!111!1!".

I wish turkey owners were are responsible as most dog owners. =\

My facebook comments on the picture I posted of the turkeys (once I was at what I felt was a "safe" distance):

"As I ran past, they turned to follow me. Then they started running. Every time I stopped to look back, they'd run a little faster. Very freaky."

"I had seen the sign beside the road that says, "do NOT stop for turkeys" but had never seen any turkeys before. Maybe the people that live there wanted some turkey roadkill. When they started squawking and cackling this morning, I reasoned the sign might be because of the noise they made. Instead, I think someone needs to add "or die!" to the bottom of the sign before they try to take another jogger."