I Refuse...

Options
LeilaFace
LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
I get it we're supposed to be eating healthier and believe me for the most part I do. But I love to cook and sometimes there are no substitutes for bacon grease, fat, white bread, salted butter, beer and real beef.

I love to cook and I was trained by an Italian mother and a Japanese/Hawaiian Grandmother as well as a Firefighter Father. My "home cooking" is ... interesting. I believe that while cooking with bacon grease and butter everyday causes my heart to explode I refuse to change my ways for Sunday breakfast or dinner. I have altered a vast majority of my recipes and my husband has actually lost weight since the changes (and he doesn't exercise) but you can't get me to stop cooking pancakes in bacon grease and slow cook kalua pig with fat or put a big wedge of butter on a cob of corn for the grill....

I believe in eating better but I refuse to let my cooking suffer for it. If you don't agree with me that's fine. I just wanted to let it all out that I cook and I cook well and I cook healthy except for when it comes to a few of my favorites that can't be changed.

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    In moderation, just about everything is fine. I love a big, calorie- and fat-filled dish of pasta in some sort of creamy alfredo sauce with cheese, etc. I just don't have that kind of food very often.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen Approves

paula-deen2.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you reserve that stuff for one day a week, I really don't see what the problem is. Sure, your progress will be a lot faster if you put those old habits away. But you certainly don't have to if you are willing to take a little longer to reach your goals. Best of luck!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    APPLAUSE.gif

Lifestyle change doesn't mean you have to give up everything you know and love. I think this is the key to success.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm in total agreement!! Probably because I'm half Italian. LOL!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen Approves

paula-deen2.jpg

TOOO FUNNY!!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    We live in a world of REAL food. But we have to also train ourselves to live in moderation. Just because its there doesnt mean we have to overindulge. I use fatty foods....bacon, butter. I just work them into my program. :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen Approves

paula-deen2.jpg

LOL!! I was thinking something similar.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I get it we're supposed to be eating healthier and believe me for the most part I do. But I love to cook and sometimes there are no substitutes for bacon grease, fat, white bread, salted butter, beer and real beef.

I love to cook and I was trained by an Italian mother and a Japanese/Hawaiian Grandmother as well as a Firefighter Father. My "home cooking" is ... interesting. I believe that while cooking with bacon grease and butter everyday causes my heart to explode I refuse to change my ways for Sunday breakfast or dinner. I have altered a vast majority of my recipes and my husband has actually lost weight since the changes (and he doesn't exercise) but you can't get me to stop cooking pancakes in bacon grease and slow cook kalua pig with fat or put a big wedge of butter on a cob of corn for the grill....

I believe in eating better but I refuse to let my cooking suffer for it. If you don't agree with me that's fine. I just wanted to let it all out that I cook and I cook well and I cook healthy except for when it comes to a few of my favorites that can't be changed.

Agree!!!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hells yeah lady! :)
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The fact that you and your husband are both losing while still occasionally eating the things that are a part of your culture and tradition speaks for its self. Balancing those things with new learned lessons will I believe keep you on the road to success longer than cutting those things completely out. Good job and luck for future success.
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more! This is why mfp works for me. I can still eat the foods I want. I just have to pay attention & be careful of quantity. Doing this has the weight coming off slowly & steadily, without me giving up like I would with other more restrictive diets.
  • LeilaFace
    Options
    You all rock. I do keep it in moderation I just refuse to give up everything :) But usually the recipes with bacon grease and butter are limited to once a week or after a distance run when I run for over an hour. :) I <3 MFP

Side note: It's funny I run past this greasy fried diner place and after running 4-8 miles I have to run past it again to get home and the smell of that fried food honestly makes me sick. It's very strange but does keep me from fried foods... except bacon and grilled cheese :)
  • LeilaFace
    Options
    Paula Deen Approves

paula-deen2.jpg

Muah hahahaha YES
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do give some things up - But not much.

I usually allow myself 2 dinners to eat on the weekend that I want, within my calorie limits. I could always work off the extra fat anyway. Plus, having something you want once a day is not going to hurt you if it's in moderation.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    :) love this.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Real fat and real grease are still probably better for you than the chemicals we can't pronounce in lots of fast foods!!

PS- sounds yummy, can I come over??? :)
  • LeilaFace
    Options
    You guys rock!

I do everything in moderation (usually one meal a week with some wine thrown in) and this time around my weight loss is sticking much better than the last time I tried this and gained it all back almost instantly.

Bad Dinner Made Good?: Yesterday I made my infamous spaghetti and meatballs. I started it the night before and though I used 96/4 ground beef for the meatballs and turkey Italian sausage for the sauce there's really no way to avoid the sodium and calories with good hefty Italian sauce. And let's not forget I boil my noodles and then salt and butter (about a TBSP for a whole box of noodles) them... Yeah ... My husband loves me.

Last Sunday I made pancakes using Bisquick's heart healthy and bananas but I of course cooked them (and my turkey bacon) in bacon grease.

I'm very good at making healthy bad. But it's more and more rare these days :) Glad I'm not alone.