I HATE LEAN CUISINE, HEALTHY CHOICE, SMART ONES AND KASHI

Options
In fact I hate all so called health food companies because they do not list all the vitamins and minerals in their foods and whether they are fortified (vitamins sprinkled on them) or not. I understand if you can't list it on your package because there isn't enough room, but at least put it on your website.

I realize that the FDA only requires a few vitamins and minerals to be listed on the packaging, however as a HEALTH FOOD COMPANY you would think they'd go out of their way to let you know of every single vitamin and mineral in their foods. Please for the love of god put it on your website and start a trend in this direction.

It is absolutely disgraceful that Smart Ones will list sodium on their packaging but not potassium on the packaging or on their website for something that has potatoes in it. GIVE US FULL VITAMIN AND MINERAL details! What is this costing you? Do you not realize it would dramatically increase your sales if your product is high in a key vitamin or mineral that people need. Start listing them all.

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    True that!! I cannot tell you how much time I spend reading ingredients trying to figure out what I'm really getting.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I simply dont eat them...they are usually carb heavy and that s NOT a good thing for me.
  • weightlossguy01
    Options
    I CAN'T WAIT for the day when a TRUE HEALTH FOOD company comes out and lists all the vitamins and minerals on their packaged meals or website. A company that packages food together that is so high in important vitamins and minerals that people will truly see what health food looks like.

If I was a millionaire or billionaire, I would create this company. Imagine food that meets 20% of your daily RDA for key vitamins and minerals WITHOUT being fortified and having vitamins sprinkled on it. All from organic food or food that has its soil mineral enriched and not depleted. Maybe even randomly tested and verified!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them. There are plenty of other foods to chose from. Fresh foods.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I usually eat them at work for lunch because I don't cook that much for myself. I hate left overs and having to find dishes and doing dishes so I eat them. It is because I am lazy and and they convenient.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Simple- don't eat them. If you are that worried about the vitamin content in what you are eating- then pick things that list everything that you want/need.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I like to cook for myself most of the time but do keep a few in the freezer for those times that life beats on me and I can't get to cooking or planning, better than McDonalds or other fast food crap.
  • weightlossguy01
    Options
    I realize the best way to meet your RDA requirements is from fresh vegetables and fruit, however it would be nice if some health food company out there tried to help us meet them with packaged convenient meals! If anything it would show people the type of food combinations you'd have to make to meet these requirements.

At that point people could go prepare their own or if they can afford it, would buy the prepackaged version for convenience purposes.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I don't eat them. There are plenty of other foods to chose from. Fresh foods.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Kashi = Kellogs

I used to eat frozen meals ALL THE TIME but then realized I get so much more real food for the same amount of calories.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to eat those, and vitamin intake is so important to you, why not just take a multivitamin and call it good? The nutritional data they provide is that which is required by law - no more, no less. The companies that do list above and beyond that are doing so because they believe it will help them sell more product (to people like you) because they can make health claims about how healty thier food is.

If you want to buy health food that is full of vitamins and minerals, look in the produce section. (or does it have to come in a box to meet your criteria?)
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm bad I do eat the Kashi bars, and steam bags :(
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    eeekk the Sodium in these alone are a big no no!!

rather eat spam!
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I try not to get the "healthy" options, like weight watchers, lean cuisine etc etc - I feel they lose the taste and they cost a lot more than the normal ones - easier to make my own normally
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like to cook for myself most of the time but do keep a few in the freezer for those times that life beats on me and I can't get to cooking or planning, better than McDonalds or other fast food crap.

AMEN I do & figure the same thing!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Why not contact the companies and ask...? Kashi seems like they might be responsive to a request like that.
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    Kashi = Kellogs

I used to eat frozen meals ALL THE TIME but then realized I get so much more real food for the same amount of calories.

Agreed....Real food is better.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    In fact I hate all so called health food companies because they do not list all the vitamins and minerals in their foods and whether they are fortified (vitamins sprinkled on them) or not. I understand if you can't list it on your package because there isn't enough room, but at least put it on your website.

I realize that the FDA only requires a few vitamins and minerals to be listed on the packaging, however as a HEALTH FOOD COMPANY you would think they'd go out of their way to let you know of every single vitamin and mineral in their foods. Please for the love of god put it on your website and start a trend in this direction.

It is absolutely disgraceful that Smart Ones will list sodium on their packaging but not potassium on the packaging or on their website for something that has potatoes in it. GIVE US FULL VITAMIN AND MINERAL details! What is this costing you? Do you not realize it would dramatically increase your sales if your product is high in a key vitamin or mineral that people need. Start listing them all.

I know you probably hear this a lot, but I wouldn't put much faith in any food that comes in a box or package. They aren't healthy overall. I always try and eat foods that I could have grown or killed myself. :) Rule of thumb.

I know it's not always possible. But you would be surprised how easy it can be. And it's rewarding to have a good understanding of exactly what you're putting into your body. With prepackaged foods, you never really know.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with most responses already. Don't eat them. I have never tried them and have no desire to. Meals you cook for yourself are so much better. Better for you, better tasting and likely less expensive.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The sodium is a killer! But if you're going to eat it once in a while, that's fine but if it's an everyday thing you're going to get the "skinny fat" effect. Yes I had experienced that before! :laugh: