Eat, then log, or log, then eat?

Options

Replies

• jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I log in advance that way I am more apt to stick to it and make sure I am within my limit!
  • DemOniC_PT
    DemOniC_PT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Log first and then i eat.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I log my day first....then eat. I may make changes (I did that today) but when I log first, I know the numbers and can keep within my boundaries much easier.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone else log part or their whole meal before preparing it to see if the marcos are ideal? Or do you log what you eat after the fact? Or are you on MFP, logging, posting, chatting while eating? heh. I'm getting to the point where I'll throw almost anything together if it fits what I need. Perfect example: Miracle noodles, beef bacon, tuna, cheese. All the goodies I need in a bowl.

I usually log my breakfast after eating it and then log lunch and dinner at the same time in anticipation of those meals.

Sometimes I have changed my mind and had to go in and edit the latter meals.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat then I log. I probably should start logging in advance so I can have control of what I'm eating and how much I should eat.
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    If I'm unsure I log first but I'm quite fussy and eat the same stuff quite often so I know the values off by heart lol
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways for me, but usually I eat, then log... often, I try to log AS I am eating, lol.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When I was just starting I would add before I ate then I could make changes if I needed. Now I am aware so I can add after. Takes time.
  • seantugers2
    Options
    i figure out whats for dinner since that meal has the most calories for me... than a plan out the rest of my day... that i eat what ever i had logged for the day
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I try to do it first. Helps me make better decisions. Most of the time. ; )
  • The_new_Amy
    Options
    I pre log most of the time. I've been having a harder time eating at all lately so I've been trying to just get food in and not worry too much about it but when I'm eating 'normally' I always pre log.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'll log before cooking, especially in the evening, to see if I need to forgo a sausage for a G&T. But usually it's sorta all one and the same - scan the barcode as I fling something together!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I pre-log. Nothing worse then eating dinner, logging, and realizing you were over on your calorie goal because you didn't plan right.
  • fiona2785
    fiona2785 Posts: 82
    Options
    at night i come up with the entire next day to make sure it all fits nicely. also its easier to wake up and know exactly what im going to have to eat.its easier than trying to remember to log the small stuff instead i just go off the snack list in order it appears. but thats just me :)

^^^ this.
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    I always log before I eat. I want to know how many calories I still have left and need that knowledge to enjoy my meal.
  • HMM163
    HMM163 Posts: 24
    Options
    I log first thing in the morning and then eat
  • nikkiw283
    nikkiw283 Posts: 90
    Options
    I prefer to log, then eat. That way I can see what the breakdown will be if I eat everything. Gives me more motivation to slow down and really gauge my level of fullness. Then I just go back and edit for what I actually consumed.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I normaly log my entire day after my morning workout
    1. that lets me know how many exercise cals i have to work with
    2. I exercise on an empty stomach so its really logging the entire day
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I prepare the forthcoming week's meals every Sat and/or Sun so my diary's already logged in advance. And since I am on a tight budget now, I hardly eat out.
  • Starqueg
    Starqueg Posts: 39
    Options
    I log while planning meals for the next day. It's often subject to change, but it gives me an idea of what I'll be eating. On days when I'll be eating out, or packing a meal, I log in advance so I know what I can eat or what I need to pack.